How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Oh and both the inexplicable and cheaply-done "child warlock" as well as the the dragons-catching-fish-and-flipping-them-like-pancakes scene was just... a bit silly. Didn't need to see that. CGI almost always sucks, if not now then in a few years time for sure.

Edited by mrlukeduke

Oh and both the inexplicable and cheaply-done "child warlock" as well as the the dragons-catching-fish-and-flipping-them-like-pancakes scene was just... a bit silly. Didn't need to see that. CGI almost always sucks, if not now then in a few years time for sure.

So what are they meant to do instead? Puppets attached to string, flying around the place?

Save the money and use better character acting and editing. IMO.

Im talking about the dragons here, not the entire show, which has a brilliant cast, so I dont get the complaint there. They have to show the dragons, because there are huge part of who Dany is. Not to mention that it looked amazing.

Edited by Kevin of House Tollett

I gave it an 8. It was definitely light on action. But I thought, especially for a fan of the books, that they really hit some of the key book moments really well. One that I was looking forward to was the disinheritance scene between Tywin and Tyrion and it was done exceptionally well. Charles Dance owns the screen whenever he is on and Peter Dinklage held up with him and really conveyed the emotion. I loved Dany and Kraznys, but I definitely think it helps as a book reader to know going into it that she understands everything he is saying. I was emotionally overwhelmed by all of the Louisville basketball Sunday and was unsure how I felt about the episode, so I rewatched it last night. I thought it was really well done, but it was a little slow so I can see why some people would have issues with it. But I don't mind it, I like the character development that is being done, such as showing the dreamer side of Sansa and how politically astute Margaery is.

Also, I think I'm developing a total fan crush on Kristofer Hivju (sp?) as Tormund Giantsbane. I mean, wow! :drool:

Must say I was disappointed. Some suspicious editing going on throughout, and Barristen's intro sequence was poorly done. The manticore scene was rushed; no logical explanation of how the knife-wielding Barristen got free of Mormont after he'd grabbed him, just in the nick of time as Dani was idly gazing at the OBVIOUSLY DEADLY manticore like the witless fool she seems to be being portrayed as in this series.

No logical explanation? How about Barristan getting free of Jorah's grasp and stabbing it? The scene was most likely shot that way because the viewer would think that Jorah and the other guy was tangled up and couldn't rescue Dany. I can understand someone wanting to be shown the tussle but I can't understand how someone can fail to figure out a logical explanation. For a show based on a series of books with a lot of subtlety I see a surprising amount of need for the show to spell everything out in bold letters.

And Dany wasn't idly gazing, that's just a flat out wrong description. I found it pretty clear that she was terrified and froze a bit because she didn't know what to do, which is one of the two pretty common reactions when someone gets terrified from something like that. The other is to run and scream.

Im talking about the dragons here, not the entire show, which has a brilliant cast, so I dont get the complaint there. They have to show the dragons, because there are huge part of who Dany is. Not to mention that it looked amazing.

I think we need to learn that some people just complaining because they wanted to complain. Many people were complaining about season 3 before season 3 was on screen, so I wasn't surprise that so many people hated the episode. They forget that this is first not the books, and second a build up episode for this season. Things needed to explain where every character was in the story before showing some real things.

And if you want some more action. Please donate a couple of million to HBO because like what many people wanted in the first episode with Sam will cost more than a million bucks.

I think we need to learn that some people just complaining because they wanted to complain. Many people were complaining about season 3 before season 3 was on screen, so I wasn't surprise that so many people hated the episode. They forget that this is first not the books, and second a build up episode for this season. Things needed to explain where every character was in the story before showing some real things.

And if you want some more action. Please donate a couple of million to HBO because like what many people wanted in the first episode with Sam will cost more than a million bucks.

^

This. I think people are being far too whingy about this episode, like spoiled children. I was disspointed with a lot of things that happened in Season 2, but I was more or less satisfied with this opener. I am just happy this thing is on television to begin with. The people giving it 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 are just being silly, but I am not surprised.

Edited by Cellio

Haha, I love how emotionally defensive everyone is about the slightest criticisms! Dissenting opinion won't be tolerated, even though it's entirely subjective! Apparently you can only post if you like it. Didn't realise that.

I enjoy the series very much indeed; my opinion is that this episode was poor as an opener. I'm not the one acting like a child (that accusation is in and of itself childlish). I post my opinions, as valid as anyone else's opinions, and everyone gets tetchy about it.

No logical explanation? How about Barristan getting free of Jorah's grasp and stabbing it? The scene was most likely shot that way because the viewer would think that Jorah and the other guy was tangled up and couldn't rescue Dany. I can understand someone wanting to be shown the tussle but I can't understand how someone can fail to figure out a logical explanation. For a show based on a series of books with a lot of subtlety I see a surprising amount of need for the show to spell everything out in bold letters.

They rushed it. No idea how Barristen got free so quickly, and came to an amiable agreement with Jorah in the crucial moments of time it took Dimwitted Dani to realise that it wasn't particularly smart to stare at a vicious scorpion-looking daemon creature you've accepted blindly from a stranger.

And Dany wasn't idly gazing, that's just a flat out wrong description. I found it pretty clear that she was terrified and froze a bit because she didn't know what to do, which is one of the two pretty common reactions when someone gets terrified from something like that. The other is to run and scream.

There are a hundred better ways that scene could have been co-ordinated IMO. Maybe it was her acting, dunno.

Edited by mrlukeduke

Haha, I love how emotionally defensive everyone is about the slightest criticisms! Dissenting opinion apparently won't be tolerated, even though it's entirely subjective. Apparently you can only post if you like it. Didn't realise that. Can't undo time!

I enjoy the series, my opinion is that this episode was poor as an opener. Deal with it! I'm not the one acting like a child (that accusation is in and of itself childlish). I post my opinions, as valid as anyone else's opinions, and everyone gets tetchy about it.

They rushed it. No idea how Barristen got free so quickly, and came to an amiable agreement with Jorah in the crucial moments of time it took Dimwitted Dani to realise that it wasn't particularly smart to stare at a vicious scorpion-looking daemon creature you've accepted blindly from a stranger.

There are a hundred better ways that scene could have been co-ordinated IMO. Maybe it was her acting, dunno.

Yes, you are entitled to an opinion, obviously. Just as everyone else is entitled to poke holes in your reasoning, when it makes very little sense. The posts by Tywin gave you a reasonable explanation as to why the scene played out, youve chosen to ignore them, and repeat your earlier criticism.

^

This. I think people are being far too whingy about this episode, like spoiled children. I was disspointed with a lot of things that happened in Season 2, but I was more or less satisfied with this opener. I am just happy this thing is on television to begin with. The people giving it 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 are just being silly, but I am not surprised.

Yes, I was disappointing in season 2 when I watched it, but in the end was realistic. They are having the job to put the most difficult book to screen, with little budget. They did their best. I think that people forget how stressfull their job is, I think that most people even didn't know that last season they begged and begged for more money for BW. The plan was that we did only see thing through Sansa's chapters. And they need to think, what if I was in charge of the show? They think that they will do it better. but then they will know that there will be some major problems that occur Money, scheduling etc. D&D made the script in one month, I think that most people who complaining couldn't make a better season 2 and 3x01 if they had 10 years.

I know, I shouldnt be surprised anymore. I just wish that people would realise that it not being the same as the book, or being worse than the book, is not a valid criticism! If it makes sense in the context in the show, and is compelling and entertaining, that is what is important.

There's 15 seconds between Jorah grabbing Barristan and the manticore dying, which can be a fairly long time when you're fighting in my experience. More than enough time for one of the greatest knights of his time to get out, push Jorah away and kill it. Jorah would naturally hesitate to keep attacking when he clearly sees that the knife wasn't meant for Dany. A very simple explanation that's easy to figure out as I see it, so I still have trouble seeing how there's no logical explanation available.

And being witless, or acting stupidly, is a very common thing when you're afraid so I have a hard time seeing the odd thing about that as well. I know that some people want their heroes to be capable at all times but other than that I don't really know why it's wrong for Dany to be like that.

Thinking that the scene could be better in another way is fine but I think that's a different criticism than what I responded to.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

being worse than the book, is not a valid criticism!

Not sure if you meant me, but I didn't say that. Just for the record.

Anyways, someone else might say: the timing was good, the reactions were great, and the sequences felt right and flowed oh-so nicely! OK so fine! Valid opposing opinion! I respect that. I don't ask for more justifications, because there's no right or wrong critique in something which is a feeling thing, a timing thing, i.e. subjective. Narrative isn't objective.

However, I can't fathom how Barristen and Jorah could have come to such a swift resolution, for one. I suppose you can argue "Jorah knew the guy right away, let him go immediately and Selmy rushed in just in the nick of time!" I just didn't like how it was done sequentially, assuming that quick resolution happened. Selmy's such a huge character, and the dialogue was a bit corny. I also thought the magical vanishing child wasn't done well and it was far too obvious when Dani blamed warlocks (i.e. NOT subtle, i.e. opposite of what others were saying it was).

Still love the show, just sayin'! Nobody picked up on my compliments of it! Ser Davos, the northmen... et al. I mean considering I thoguht that was a "bad" episode, only shows how good the series is, no?

I know, I shouldnt be surprised anymore. I just wish that people would realise that it not being the same as the book, or being worse than the book, is not a valid criticism! If it makes sense in the context in the show, and is compelling and entertaining, that is what is important.

I think the only ones that we can really blame, is HBO itself. If they gave roughtly 10 million more (GOT season 2 brought 1.2 billion into their pockets.) or maybe even 20 million we could have had a 12 episode season. That way some delete scenes could have been in it. Like a bigger scene with Kraznyk, that were in the books but not in the show. But with 10 episodes, they needed to cut that scene. And with 12 episodes they could have split the characters even more than they did now. But with 10 episodes they did a great job.

It's a perfectly valid criticism. If something is changed from the books unnecessarily than it is perfectly valid to criticise D+D for that.

Now fortunately this episode wasn't so bad in that regard. There were invented scenes but only ones on par with what we got in S2, and the plot deviations were fixing previous mess ups. It seems that so far the season is on track to be somewhere between S1 and S2 in terms of faithfulness which I can tolerate.

There's 15 seconds between Jorah grabbing Barristan and the manticore dying. More than enough time for one of the greatest knights of his time to get out, push Jorah away and kill it. Jorah would naturally hesitate to keep attacking when he clearly sees that the knife wasn't meant for Dany. A very simple explanation that's easy to figure out as I see it, so I still have trouble seeing how there's no logical explanation available.

And being witless, or acting stupidly, is a very common thing when you're afraid so I have a hard time seeing the odd thing about that as well. I know that some people want their heroes to be capable at all times but other than that I don't really know why it's wrong for Dany to be like that.

Thinking that the scene could be better in another way is fine but I think that's a different criticism than what I responded to.

If he pushed Jorah, the knight would have been after him with a sword. The way they did it made it looked like they were sudden buddies. If I were Jorah, I wouldn't have trusted ANYONE at that point! Hence my feeling about the timing being off (possibly rushed) for that scene. Compare for example, with the Tyrion/Tywin scene. Superb. 10 or more seconds (haven't rewatched yet) of nothing but Tywin scribbling on a parchment. All sublime character acting and tension building. That's where I thought the timing and editing was done well.

Jaime,

Yes. Just shot it and will be editing it together and uploading at some point. But first need to upload our Thronecast appearance for their second episode next week, which we shot a bit earlier.