How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

This is where most of my problems stem from. The HH scene made no sense. The Ghost thing and Jon's reasoning for turning his coat don't make sense. LF and Ros don't make sense within the context of the show.

Cant disagree that the open didnt make much sense, really a letdown. Dont see how Ros doesnt make sense. Jon's reasoning was pretty good I thought. Not wanting to be part of the Nights Watch because they allow such horrors to take place, dont see the issue there. HH could have done with a mention of Northmen prisoners beforehand, otherwise I didnt see much problem, obviously the Mountain massacred the prisoners before leaving.

Maybe I am just dense.... but what is this "maticore" that everyone is talking about from the season premire? Does "maticore" refer to the staue of the Harpy in Astipor?

The manticore is that scorpion-like creature that tries to bite Daenerys.

Maybe I am just dense.... but what is this "maticore" that everyone is talking about from the season premire? Does "maticore" refer to the staue of the Harpy in Astipor?

The wee green scorpion-type thing in the little girl's wooden ball.

@ Hedge Knight:

God I hope so... I am really worried about that plot line... they are turning you-know-who into a "good guy" .... when actually she is soon to show her true colors...

I LOVED that plot twist in the book... Especially how Tyrion "delt" with it... so who knows how the show will play that out...

and thanks for the clarification guys! I have only watched it once... so I was afraid I missed something, with all this talk of "maticore fighting"...

Mine was a 8. The second the Northern army got into Harrenhal was the second this show stopped being based on ASoIaF and was... well, inspired by ASoIaF. And I think it's the right way to follow: They can't just stick to the books forever, it's too hard, so yeah, give us differences! New stuff!

I'm so excited about seeing Theon, too. I hope Game of Thrones turns out to be a whole new series.

********POSSIBLE SPOILER***************

Do you think a certain someone will eventually (next season) find Ros instead of you-know-who in the bed with you-know-who before killing her and you-know-who and then escaping?

Why should him? He has no reason for killing Ros, and you-know-who is an important character in the show...

Do you think a certain someone will eventually (next season) find Ros instead of you-know-who in the bed with you-know-who before killing her and you-know-who and then escaping?

God I hope not since, as things stand now, there would be no malice to drive that murder

Aye. Then Shae may become the whore in the refrain "Where do whores go?"

Edited by house of no sigil

One thing I am worried about:

If the Purpose Wedding is indeed next season, what is there for Sansa to do? Is the already established plan with Littlefinger to sit on the back burner for a whole year?

I think it's gonna happen at the end of this season. Why would they setup her leaving with littlefinger on the first show.

I gave the first one a 9. Loved it all. Can someone tell me though what was the little girl that gave dany the ball at the end? Thanks

I think it's gonna happen at the end of this season. Why would they setup her leaving with littlefinger on the first show.

I gave the first one a 9. Loved it all. Can someone tell me though what was the little girl that gave dany the ball at the end? Thanks

I had assumed she/it was a faceless man. But someone said she had a blue mouth so I guess she was a warlock like Pyatt Pree from the House of the Undying.

I didn't mid the Jon Snow stuff so much, I mean his character is a bit naive and/or two-dimensional anyway. The guy that plays Mance is awesome.

Re: manticore scene...

I'd personally have preferred it if Barristen appeared suddenly, hooded ok sure, but perhaps with a small troupe/gang in a thick crowd of poor people/slaves, many of whom offering Dani gifts or asking for her blessing or generally making her uncomfortable. Not just an incredibly obvious unsubtle "the hooded man" moment perfectly timed with the manticore attack from a bizarre "child warlock hologram", with Jorah seemingly letting Ser Grandad overpower him in a matter of seconds. If there were a crowd (a bit more like in the books but simplified obv), IMO it could have built tension better and slowly got out of control before Barristen appearing to knock the sphere from Dani's hand to the ground (more logical) and squash it, rather than have that cheesy knifey-stabby-hero scene.

Edited by mrlukeduke

Haha, I love how emotionally defensive everyone is about the slightest criticisms! Dissenting opinion won't be tolerated, even though it's entirely subjective! Apparently you can only post if you like it. Didn't realise that.

Always the same with the fans on the forums. I too am disappointed with the overall result given the budget and magnificent cast. Since Sean Bean no character has been allowed the time on screen to develop a persona. I suppose that's the inevitable outcome when 10 hour long episodes only equate to around 45 minutes each. To be honest, taking into account GRRM's appalling lack of motivation to finish writing the books the producers would have been better advised to make three series per book. That way they could have made a better fist of including everything from the books as well as keeping pace with the source material.

Cant disagree that the open didnt make much sense, really a letdown. Dont see how Ros doesnt make sense. Jon's reasoning was pretty good I thought. Not wanting to be part of the Nights Watch because they allow such horrors to take place, dont see the issue there. HH could have done with a mention of Northmen prisoners beforehand, otherwise I didnt see much problem, obviously the Mountain massacred the prisoners before leaving.

Why would the Mountain leave when we last saw him Tywin told him to hold HH?

I dont see why LF would trust Sansa with those types of plans. He knows she ratted Ned out. Now he thinks she's going to be able to keep his secret because she remembered he said se was a bad liar? He knkws she is, why reveal before its necessary. And why travel around with Ros, leaving her to talk to confidants of other players in the game?

As far as Jon, i dont get why mance would care, id be more worried about some dude flip flopping over the politics of his lord. MAnce knows the vows and that the nw isnt in the business of assisting the others.

Always the same with the fans on the forums. I too am disappointed with the overall result given the budget and magnificent cast. Since Sean Bean no character has been allowed the time on screen to develop a persona. I suppose that's the inevitable outcome when 10 hour long episodes only equate to around 45 minutes each. To be honest, taking into account GRRM's appalling lack of motivation to finish writing the books the producers would have been better advised to make three series per book. That way they could have made a better fist of including everything from the books as well as keeping pace with the source material.

I always felt like if anything there's more pressure on George now because of (1) how complex the novels are becoming (i.e. wrap-ups & twists, tangents), (2) the novellas, and (3) the amount of input he needs to put into the HBO production. I just feel like the show could slow down a bit and go to 10, 14 seasons. I mean, why not? My fave scenes have been when they've just let the intense and emotional character acting go (like you said, yes Sean Bean was a superb example); whereas my least fave scenes have been ones with the cheap cgi effects, "sum up the situation" dialogue and cliché lines.

IMO this comes about because they're trying to cram so much in. And yet they're skipping so much from the books already, so I'm really curious to know how many seasons/episodes they're shooting for.

Gave it an 8. Had to leave some room for the wow factor coming later. My initial feeling after watching the episode was that i was surprised and somewhat worried about all the deviations in the plot, but after watching the second time my feelings somewhat changed. In the books we are trapped inside the mind´s of different pov characters, who view and judge other characters in very biased way. Now with this adaption. We get yet another pov from outside and while it might as be biased in different way. We still get another point of view. I think that might offer us a real opportunity to view many of the characters in different light and that in itself creates a real promise for this show.

I gave it a 7.

It was good, but there was definitely something missing. As a first episode, it needs something to grasp viewers attention. Start with a bang.... The obvious scene for this would have been at least a more dramatic representation of the battle of the Fist. There was just nothing.

Also I am very disappointed with the lack of Strong Belwas. He would have added a comedy layer, as Dany is now surrounded by Barristan and Mormont. Hardly a barrel of laughs. It would have made most of the future Dany scenes more interesting imo.

Also think Robb is being presented as a bit of a knobhead. I hope they will make him more likeable.

Spoiler
Or the RW will get more of a "Well he had that coming" reaction, rather than a "WTFFF????" reaction.

It's a perfectly valid criticism. If something is changed from the books unnecessarily than it is perfectly valid to criticise D+D for that.

Now fortunately this episode wasn't so bad in that regard. There were invented scenes but only ones on par with what we got in S2, and the plot deviations were fixing previous mess ups. It seems that so far the season is on track to be somewhere between S1 and S2 in terms of faithfulness which I can tolerate.

Robb imprisons his own mother (which he never does) at a castle (he never went to) around people (he never met).

I understand certain deviations from the books -- Jon's abbreviated/different story to Mance, Barristan not as Artsan, Belwas not being there, but when they make no sense, like Robb imprisoning his mother, Mance being a totally different person, Margary being a social worker, Mormot getting on Sam for not releasing the ravens, Littlefinger proposing his plans to Sansa immediately and telling her Arya is alive (which she NEVER finds out) it becomes problematic

Why would the Mountain leave when we last saw him Tywin told him to hold HH?

Fair question.

I'm assuming a crow was sent by Tywin to the Mountain telling him not to engage the enemy and fall back. Since commanding the Mountain to hold HH, the game has changed, and Tywin doesn't need to hold on to HH with force. Falling back would avoid sapping his own strength, deny Robb a probable victory, and to deny his camp a morale-boosting win.

All part of the game.