How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Robb imprisons his own mother (which he never does) at a castle (he never went to) around people (he never met).

I understand certain deviations from the books -- Jon's abbreviated/different story to Mance, Barristan not as Artsan, Belwas not being there, but when they make no sense, like Robb imprisoning his mother, Mance being a totally different person, Margary being a social worker, Mormot getting on Sam for not releasing the ravens, Littlefinger proposing his plans to Sansa immediately and telling her Arya is alive (which she NEVER finds out) it becomes problematic

I hardly think she was being a social worker. More like playing the Game and knowing what she is doing to manipulate Joffrey & Cersei.

Always the same with the fans on the forums. I too am disappointed with the overall result given the budget and magnificent cast. Since Sean Bean no character has been allowed the time on screen to develop a persona. I suppose that's the inevitable outcome when 10 hour long episodes only equate to around 45 minutes each. To be honest, taking into account GRRM's appalling lack of motivation to finish writing the books the producers would have been better advised to make three series per book. That way they could have made a better fist of including everything from the books as well as keeping pace with the source material.

No, no, no because then the people who are disapointed because things aren't in the show, are complaining because there are things in the show that could have cut, for instance I don't like Sansa and Shea why are they so much in this episode. Or why isn't .... in this episode. Because more seasons per book means that characters will be more divided than they are now and than we don't see some characters till episode 3.

People are complaining about things that are 180 degrees different at the same time. The pace was slow and they copy the books to bad.

Maybe I'm just happy what we got instead what we didn't got. We got a funny Tormund and what are people complaining about, Tormund wasn't funny. Seems to me, people need to complain to survive. Sometimes I have a feeling that certain people need to complain an amount of time a day because else they won't survive.

Don't get me wrong, some things could have handled better, but there needed to more money and time for that that we didn't have. Personally I rather have them cut the beginning of SoS than the things that will happen between episode 7-10.

And a little respect for the people working their ass of for this project would be nice.

Edited by kevin1989

Only real gripe I have is with Robb and Catelyn. Wish they'd follow the book where Robb isn't all that upset with releasing Jaime, but it's not a huge deal. I thought everything else is great, and I cannot wait to Bran, Arya, and Jaime's part next week.

I loved it, personally. I think it could benefit from watching back to back with episode 2, though, as it just kind of felt like it was "half" and episode and really flew by (this is probably due to the sheer number of characters this season).

8/10

I loved how they cut back on the Barristan reveal. I think it will have more punch when

Jorah is revealed to be a traitor.

Loved Tyrion/Tywin. Peter Dinklage nailed it! Exactly how I pictured Tyrion to be crushed.

Marg showing right away that she's not taking any crap from Cersei.

Does anyone think that Shae

is going to take over the Dontos role? Maybe she will be the one to help Sansa escape while at the same time betraying Tyrion?

8/10

I loved how they cut back on the Barristan reveal. I think it will have more punch when

Jorah is revealed to be a traitor.

This won't be much of a reveal since we all knew it from the first season. Unless you mean the reveal to Dany. Then yeah, that'll be crazy.

Absolutely loved it. 9/10

Although it sucked we didn't get any Jaime, Arya or indeed Theon, I can see why they were left out and in truth, the episode benefited from focusing more time on a few characters, and it gives us something to look forward to even more next week.

The best scenes for me where the Astapor ones. The city looks incredible and the scene with Kraznys and the unsullied was everything I pictured it would be. Not to mention, Missandei is beautiful.

I think there are almost no grounds for criticism regarding Barristan either. Maybe putting him the recap made things a bit obvious, but the whole Arstan thing would simply have not worked on screen at all.

Tyrion and Tywin will be fascinating to watch over the course of the season. I'm still hoping Cersei gets a verbal a beatdown from Tywin later in the season, though.

Davos, the dinner scene, Robb and Jon's scenes were all great as well, setting things up perfectly for whats to come. Particularly in Robb's scene, it was good to see Bolton and Karstark get some game time.

The one criticism I would have is the Shae and Ros scene. Not that I have a problem with either character, but I would have just rather seen another few minutes of Mance or Qyburn or something.

Roll on next week :D

I gave it 7/10. Good episode but not great.

Outstanding performance from the Lannister cast (Tywin, Cersei, Tyrion).

Bronn badass as always. Seriously, is there anyone who doesn't love Bronn?

Margery is shaping up to be a major contender in the GoT at King's Landing.

Slave trader and his translator were hilarious. Especially considering that there was actually no need for a translator. :D

Davos is also a personal favorite; glad he's not dead (yet) after all.

And yay for Barristan making a return.

The scenes beyond the wall were a let-down, however.

A single zombie left from the entire host we saw at the end of the last season? From the looks of it the Nightwatch band annihilated them all and saved Sam so what's the big deal? Should have been handled better. Rome didn't show battle scenes either but still managed to make it clear what happened.

Speaking of Rome - Ciarán Hinds sadly didn't get much screen time; hope he has a chance to shine in the next episodes.

Harrenhall scene? Not sure what happened there. Felt very disjointed to me.

Edited by Ser Drizztos

How? I dont see how any of those changes, except perhaps the raven one, have negative effects. We have not finished the season yet, i'm sure they will be for a good reason.

Sansa thinking she is the only Stark left is instrumental to he growth and transition as a character, from a stupid little girl to a legitimate player. Littlefinger's immediate involvement makes the entire Sansa escape predictable, Robb imprisoning his mother (after wedding a random nurse) makes him look like a angry child and hypocrite, when in the show he proves to be wise beyond his years and it doesn't paint him as the man of honor he really is. Mance's relationship to the watch, Jon and the North gives him depth, it might not be problematic for the story arc its just an unnecessary change, Margery being a "player" when she actually is not is disingenuous, this is a girl who cares more about going on picnics and horseback rides than helping the poor.

No, no, no because then the people who are disapointed because things aren't in the show, are complaining because there are things in the show that could have cut, for instance I don't like Sansa and Shea why are they so much in this episode. Or why isn't .... in this episode. Because more seasons per book means that characters will be more divided than they are now and than we don't see some characters till episode 3.

People are complaining about things that are 180 degrees different at the same time. The pace was slow and they copy the books to bad.

Maybe I'm just happy what we got instead what we didn't got. We got a funny Tormund and what are people complaining about, Tormund wasn't funny. Seems to me, people need to complain to survive. Sometimes I have a feeling that certain people need to complain an amount of time a day because else they won't survive.

Don't get me wrong, some things could have handled better, but there needed to more money and time for that that we didn't have. Personally I rather have them cut the beginning of SoS than the things that will happen between episode 7-10.

And a little respect for the people working their ass of for this project would be nice.

Where was there any level of disrespect? The statement was "I too am disappointed with the overall result given the budget and magnificent cast."

He pays money to view HBO like anybody else and has a right to voice his opinion.

Sansa thinking she is the only Stark left is instrumental to he growth and transition as a character, from a stupid little girl to a legitimate player. Littlefinger's immediate involvement makes the entire Sansa escape predictable, Robb imprisoning his mother (after wedding a random nurse) makes him look like a angry child and hypocrite, when in the show he proves to be wise beyond his years and it doesn't paint him as the man of honor he really is. Mance's relationship to the watch, Jon and the North gives him depth, it might not be problematic for the story arc its just an unnecessary change, Margery being a "player" when she actually is not is disingenuous, this is a girl who cares more about going on picnics and horseback rides than helping the poor.

A few thoughts. Sansa doesn't actually need to be the only Stark in her mind to evolve. She is obviously in a situation where it's sink or swim anyway. I don't see how Robb comes across as an angry child and a hypocrite when the show makes it extremely obvious that he imprisons Catelyn to appease his bannermen.

I don't share your view of Margaery either as I see her as the clear pupil of her grandmother (she's obviously in on the plot at the PW). She of course plays up her innocent side since that makes it easier to scheme but she's not really that flat of a character. Not to mention that in the book she actually has Tyrell men hand out food in her name before her arrival, so she would be loved by the smallfolk. The change is only that she does it in person.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

Gave it a 7.

Not because it wasn't good, it just was a bit slow at parts. Most of the points I gave it were due to the great acting and a few of the key features such as the giant.

While some might be upset that some of us are giving this episode sixes, sevens, and eights, please realize that it is hard to give any episode the same rating as an episode such as Blackwater. Yet with the quality of this first episode I have no doubt that there will be episodes this season that will earn a 9 or more, this just was not one of them. This episode was simply building up the plot for the rest of the season.

As always, Charles Dance does amazing although I don't think this was his best performance. I prefer to think his scene with Jamie long ago was the best performance, that and his dealings with Arya at Harrenhal. I feel like Emeila's acting is improving while Kit Harington's is either standing still (or possibly getting worse). Maybe his scene was just a little too short/awkward.

Overall I enjoyed it and am excited for the season. I hold the books separate from the show as much as I can, so I never dock points for those types of changes although I'll admit there are those I do not enjoy.

Can anyone answer if the scene where that little girl with the blue lips was in the book? I really can't remember but I can't recall that happening in the book.. Anyone else think the unsullied were a little bit "meh" as well....? And the first time you hear of a giant in the book is when John is out riding and he see's a whole bunch riding mammoths? I thought that would of been a really amazing thing to capture on the show.

The scene as a whole is fairly close to the book, but the significant difference is that Dany gets a box from a Sorrowful Man, instead of the warlock tricking her.

I don't see any problems with the Unsullied and I think they were introduced effectively. I liked the giant as well and thought he was very well done.

Ahh and it takes place in Qarth..not Astapor...and the character is Arsten Whitebeard at the time u weren't supposed to know it's Selmy, and it explains how Dany gets a ship to Astapor because Selmy and Strong Belwas (also excluded and I'm extremely disappointed as I stated before) were sent by Illyrio (spelling?)....and Selmy uses a staff to knock the manticore (which did look cool in the show) out of Dany's hand, which I think the staff Selmy carried was a huge part of his character for most of ASOS. All in all they screwed this bigtime.

I felt that the exclusion of having the scene in Qarth took away from the scene in Astapor because it removed any and all background information of the city. Having Sir Jorah briefly describe the city on the ship wasn't enough. With the exclusion of the introduction in Qarth the Astapor scene semed extremely rushed. Even though the removing of the Unsullied's nipple was a scene I had hoped they would include it didn't convey the same emotion on screen as in the book because of the way the whole scene felt rushed.

I gave ep 1 an 8. For someone who often wishes the fantasy aspect was not present, thoroughly enjoyed the instant fish kabob dragon trick.

As always, Ser Jorah never fails to give a performance with powerful impact. That's one of the reasons I'll never understand why he wasn't included in the pre-season 3 posters along with the other cast members. Surely Iain Glen's role is large enough to warrant one?? Non?

My other favorite scenes were Tyrion's with Tywin and also with Cersei.

It's fascinating to see Joffrey finally acting like a human being with his crush on Margaery, while his mommy dearest constantly shoots eye daggers at her little boys object of affection.

Take away the completely unnecesary Bronn scene with the dumb prostitue and then you have time to correctly tell Dany's tale or even maybe included the actual Battle at the Fist...this also goes for Rob's terrible scene at Harrenhal or Sansa on the docks

One more gripe and I'm done....how the hell can u cast Mance Rayder taller than Tormund Giantsbane?? I always invisioned Mance as being in his younger thirties and not that large in height or physique....but much more stealthlike and intelligent with great combat ability....this Mance in the show seems old, tired, downtroden and like he could die of old age at any point....bad casting in my opinion

Take away the completely unnecesary Bronn scene with the dumb prostitue and then you have time to correctly tell Dany's tale or even maybe included the actual Battle at the Fist...

Can't do that. They have a T&A quota to fill every season and there was no other opportunity in this episode.

Edited by Ser Drizztos