How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Problems:

1. Sansa and Shae game - what a waste of minutes, what plot arc did it advance, what did it tell us about the story?

You can say the same about every other character in this episode. The premiere merely sets up plot pieces. Ergo: you can only judge plot advancment in later episodes, regardless of what happens in the books.

If you fairly criticize a tv scene, you'll have to ignore book knowledge. I.E. Ros and Shae have no role in the Sansa/LF book arc but that doesn't mean it can't work in the show. We just don't know yet.

I thought it was an excellent start to the season, so many good things. Yes it was a little slow compared to (at least) the final few episodes of season 2, but we have to remeber that this is the first time we are seeing a single book split into two seasons.

Standouts for me - obviously the one that has been mentioned many times already the Tywin/Tyrion scene, it was outstanding. I also loved the scene between Cersei and Tyrion and the scene with Joffrey, Margaery and Cersei. Tormund was fantastic, as were the dragons, the final scene and Davos, who is one of my favorite characters.

Cant wait for Arya in episode 2.

I dont see why LF would trust Sansa with those types of plans. He knows she ratted Ned out. Now he thinks she's going to be able to keep his secret because she remembered he said se was a bad liar? He knkws she is, why reveal before its necessary. And why travel around with Ros, leaving her to talk to confidants of other players in the game?

Sansa actually doesnt rat out Ned in the show, so your wrong there. He's also confided in her before, at the tournament in season 1, about the Hound.

Fair question.

I'm assuming a crow was sent by Tywin to the Mountain telling him not to engage the enemy and fall back. Since commanding the Mountain to hold HH, the game has changed, and Tywin doesn't need to hold on to HH with force. Falling back would avoid sapping his own strength, deny Robb a probable victory, and to deny his camp a morale-boosting win.

All part of the game.

But then the north holds riverrun and hh (a stones throw from KL). They also won at oxcross and hold the north and the twins (tywin hasnt even sent his letters yet). Not buying it.

Sansa actually doesnt rat out Ned in the show, so your wrong there. He's also confided in her before, at the tournament in season 1, about the Hound.

I thought she did. Regardless, Sansa is clearly not a player and has done zero to really earn a trusted spot in LF's plans.

That wasn't really confiding his plans about the hound. C'mon, he talked shit about him to her.

Take away the completely unnecesary Bronn scene with the dumb prostitue and then you have time to correctly tell Dany's tale or even maybe included the actual Battle at the Fist...this also goes for Rob's terrible scene at Harrenhal or Sansa on the docks

One more gripe and I'm done....how the hell can u cast Mance Rayder taller than Tormund Giantsbane?? I always invisioned Mance as being in his younger thirties and not that large in height or physique....but much more stealthlike and intelligent with great combat ability....this Mance in the show seems old, tired, downtroden and like he could die of old age at any point....bad casting in my opinion

I am actually really excited about Ciaran Hinds, I think he is going to do a great job. I foudn Mance's character in the book too catoony, Ciaran, so far, seems more realistic and war like.

I am actually really excited about Ciaran Hinds, I think he is going to do a great job. I foudn Mance's character in the book too catoony, Ciaran, so far, seems more realistic and war like.

And Cirian can't sing that's why the bard thing is out. Only problem for later

DwD plot at winterfel, but they can always do that the bard is one of the spearwives. Or something else.

I thought she did. Regardless, Sansa is clearly not a player and has done zero to really earn a trusted spot in LF's plans.

That wasn't really confiding his plans about the hound. C'mon, he talked shit about him to her.

What's the problem if she talks? LF stated that she's lying and who would Cercei and co believe?

A solid 7/10 for me.

It was shame to completely miss the battle at the Fist but I understand why they saved the $$$ for other things.

I enjoyed Jon's scenes. The giant looked cool. Tormund was brilliant and I thought Jon's discussion about joining the wildlings was better than in the books. I think Ciaran Hinds is a good Mance too.

Robb's scene was pretty 'meh'.

Tyrion's scene with Tywin was excellent. It's a great bit from the books that they kept to and the acting was brilliant. It really made me want to see Tyrion kill that prick.

I liked the Margery bits. It was a nice way to show the Tyrell's 'PR campaign' to win over the people.

The rest of the KL's bits just moved the story along really.

I thought the Davos/Stannis bits were well handled too. This part of their story isn't particulalry great/interesting/exciting for me but they showed it well and moved it along fairly briskly.

I enjoyed Dany's bits. I thought they condensed what they needed to and moved the story along quite well. The Unsullied looked brilliant and Kraznys was a real bastard and I'm looking forward to Drogon melting his face off. Thought they introduced Barristan well too and the little warlock girl was pretty creepy.

I really liked as well that they left out a few major characters and focussed more on a couple of story lines instead of jumping around too much. I assume we'll see far more Arya, Bran and Jamie/Brienne next week. I think that's the best way to do it.

I will give it a 7

It is still really good television and I was close to giving an 8.

The thing that keeps me from going into higher grades is that the show seems to keep its tendency to not be really made as a whole from episode to episode and now from season to season. Things are set up one way, then they change, then they change again.....it is still great, but there seems a lack of overal management. Like several people are giving inputs to adapt the story and no one can clearly get everything fit together.

The example on this episode was quite clear at the start! Lucky enough everything else was great but the start was simply too disconected from last season.

Sam starting where he does, ghost showing up out of nowhere, Lord Comander asking Sam for the ravens we didnt even know about before......it almost seems someone had seen a different season 2 ending before writting this one and someone forget to tell them they ended up editing it differently.

But ok, rant away...Almost everything else is great for me and this is still great TV by all accounts.

Jon / Mance: I´m ok. Not too enthusiast but it still works well enough. I am on board with all who think Jon is a bit emo but we will have to wait and see

Bronn / Whore: Broon is amazing so I am all well with having more from him. At least he was a character on the book so if he is working better on the show, so bit it! Unleash him! Lets have him around more then.

Tyrion / Cersei: meh....nothing special. What could be said about this scene is "nothing happens". Not a particular good scene for either Cersei or Tyrion also. Still...the line "still makes me more clever then you" deserved to be on screen and makes this worth the time :)

Bronn again: yeahhhhh! I stand by my previous statement: Bronn works well on screen, lets have him! no issue with it.

Davos / Salador: Nice scene altough this one makes me wonder about Salador....why could we not see him at the Blackwater somewhere if he was to still be in the show and be used now? And he felt quite in place in this episode. But was this the second and last scene from him? If this is so....allas....the character had potential I think. I am still feelling I would have liked seing him at the Blackwater maybe at the end trying to lead some rearguard action or ordering someone to come with him for Stannis.

Robb at Harrenhall: Ok, fair enough! Makes total sense considering the plot changes on season 2. My take here is well played considering where they decided to go with the show. And when they play it well, I have no issue. Still....from my personal view, I dont like this Robb and the way he relates to his mother. I guess it can make sense considering its an older Robb....maybe....just maybe. But this really messes up the relationship bettween Robb and Cat or at least seems to. But as this is GOT, most likely next episode it will be like Robb never arrested Cat at all.....and I dont know if I just hope for that or not.

Tywin / Tyrion: Great amazing perfect scene!!!! WELL DONE!!!! But...allas....this scene seems now a bit disconected after where they went with Tywin on previous seasons. Tywin seemed to recognize Tyrion at the end of season 1, he also seemed a lot nicer all along season 2. Well....it´s nice to see we have the real Tywin back. Where was he????? Charles Dance is trully something to behold tough. And I am 100% confident he can take Tywin the right way now if they let him. Hope they let him keep the style now.

Sansa / Shae / LF / Ros: meh again.

I think removing Dontos makes sense. Seems like something necessary or at least wise to do. But having Shae and Ros there in his place doesnt make for a necessary better deal....at least for me. Havin LF revealing himself I can take it and understand it. Gives him a lot more to do now and I am totally fine with having more of him around. Just, please, dont make him do stupid stuff like on season 2. If we can sail clear from that, I am fine with him being a bit more 1st stage. Ros can stay but please get her something better to do. She is still not a character and still maybe a "most used prop"....would they care to give her a character if they insist she has to stay around? Shae is still different from the book but at least she keeps consistent so I will give them the credit and wait to see where she will end up before judging if its a good story or not.

Dany / Jorah: Nice to see the dragons and the seasick Dothraki.

Davos / Stanis / Mel: I enjoy Davos. Stanis does really nothing for me. But I think this is well done and looks good on tv. Blaming Davos is consistent with the show. Makes Davos a bit less awesome as he was in the books but that awesomness was already lost when they decided to go this way in season 2. Glad they keep consistent here! Good scene to me.

Marg / Joff / Cersei / Loras: Enjoyed everything! Well done!! And they have me on board Marg train so my respect for that. I am now totally ok with the actress and the way they are going with Marg. Feels quite good storywise.

Danny and Unsullied: GOOD!!! Not exactly like the book but cool enough and the main message was there. Perfect for me!

Barristan / murder: I have no problems with the murder atemp being from the warlocks. Makes sense inside the show. The Barristan reveal was cool to see so as for the moment I am an happy camper about it. Feelling could change depending on how this will impact the mechanics bettween Danny / Selmy and Jorah. But for now was well done and I am willing to take their train if it goes somewhere on track (even if not exactly by the book).

Edited by RSasoiaf

As always, i love the actors. but it leaves a sour taste when they deviate from the book.

it leaves you feeling lost.

Almost makes me wish i hadn't read them, i'd appreciate the show more. Almost, but not quite.

Has anyone else noticed the graph is a really good bell-curve?

Edited by Dragon Doll

Just watching back I remember a comment about Dontos being scrapped. I still think he could be in, he could in the heat of the moment get Sansa out and turn out to be Littlefinger's plan all along. TV only viewers might not click on, I think they ruined it by bringing up the fact that Littlefinger is trying to get her away in the first episode, some people may have forgot that from the end of the second season, but bringing it up again it sort of spoils it.

I think it was a pretty good start to the season. BUT in saying that it did feel really rushed and kind of shot through every character. Was hoping to see Strong Belwas aswell but ah well.

My first post :D

I gave it an 8. Thought about 9, but the Littlefinger/Sansa scene put me off a bit, and the general content of the episode, while good, wasn't exactly mind blowing.

Mance :thumbsup:

Mel/Davos :thumbsup:

Margery :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The scene with her, Joff and Cersei was gold. Looking forward to seeing how quickly they develop that.

Barristan :thumbsup: as always

After watching this episode for the sixth time, Davos' scene on the island is magnificent. The way his voice cracked when declaring his loyalty to "the one true king of Westeros, Stannis Baratheon", was very powerful. Liam Cunningham is absolutely killing it.

first of all I am very excited about The Season premiere.

Nothing really happened at the first episode except a nipple removing process and Khalesi assassination attempt. however the main questions for me remains why Is the episode titled 'Valar Dohaeris'? I mean, I know what it means and who its related to. But how, in seven hells, is it related to the episode?