How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

So all in all it mostly ranges from 7-9 out of 10 which is pretty damn good for a forum of mostly books readers. For all we know we could see more of the Fist in a flashback. I do remember someone interviewed a GOT cast member and he said the first 10 minutes of the Episode 1 was his favourite. Maybe it was cut and pushed to a later episode.

So all in all it mostly ranges from 7-9 out of 10 which is pretty damn good for a forum of mostly books readers. For all we know we could see more of the Fist in a flashback. I do remember someone interviewed a GOT cast member and he said the first 10 minutes of the Episode 1 was his favourite. Maybe it was cut and pushed to a later episode.

That was James Cosmo, his favorite scene was the first scene of the episode.

I gave it a 6. Imho:

1. The prologue scene was really bad. In first season they managed to introduce white walkers in a convincing fashion, but this scene was outright idiotic, like from a 3rd rate zombie movie. Apparently Mormont decided to make it worse by saying the most cliche line we have yet heard of him.

Omg yes yes YES. Horrendous cliche bit that was, very un-GoT like.

2. Wildling scene was ok i guess, i feel like Ygritte's acting declined a bit compared to what we saw in 2nd season, though that might be just me. I dont like the change the made to Tormund at all. The dialogue with Mance wasnt particularly mindblowing either, i actually liked how it turned out in the book that he has seen Jon twice before. I feel like cutting that out was a bad idea. Basically non book readers got a lot of foreshadowing, and when the King Beyond The Wall finally appears, he gets like 2 minutes of screen time, without anything significant to say.

I liked Tormund as a TV character, and Mance was ok. But you're right about the ott and slightly-samey Ygritte bits.

3. Bronn in brothel, Tyrion vs Cersei all ok. Contrary to many opinions i've read, i actually think the delivery of "still makes me smarter than you" was the weakest link to that scene. Just so obvious to say that, Peter Dinklage can do waaaay better.

4. Davos's scenes are for me the strong point of this episode. Mind you, I dont like the change they made, with Stannis personally imprisoning his Onion Knight, but i do think that Stannis/Melisandre/Davos/Sallador Saan's parts were all very well played. Good stuff.

5. Robb in Harrenhall. Not bad, not great either. The one thing that really annoyed me is how Robb looked at all those bodies and suddenly went "oh right, imprison my mommy plx". That just looks naive. You either punish a crime or not, he's not supposed occasionally express how angry he is for freeing Jaime.

6. Tyrion&Tywin, another strong point for me, Charles Dance perfect as usual, with Peter Dinklage performing way better than in the Cersei scene.

7. Shae&Sansa. Well i just dislike heavily the plot changes they make here, and i find it rather unlikely LF would parade in KL with a whore but whatever. My opinion would be too biased on this one i think, didnt like it.

8. Margaery - those kind of scenes bore me, but Natalie Dormer is a very strong addition to the cast, she really nailed the character i think. And i guess they need that orphanage crap to show how the Tyrells are perceived in the capital compared to lannisters.

9. Jorah, Daenerys, Unsullied, Barristan. What made me write this post is basically the Unsullied scene. God that was so great, "my master points out that men dont need nipples", i forgot how much i loved that in the book. For me the last 5 minutes of the episode saved it. Barristan appearing also pretty badass, though i guess few non book fans will recognize him at all :D.

Wow I so agree with almost every point you made it's SCARY man. Especially the Davos point.

For me the last 5 minutes of the episode saved it. Barristan appearing also pretty badass, though i guess few non book fans will recognize him at all :D.

At the start of the episode during the "previously on GOT" part they put Barristan's whole storm out of the throne room scene just to remind viewers again.

That was James Cosmo, his favorite scene was the first scene of the episode.

Then that has to mean something in it was pushed back, doesn't it? Because that was probably Cosmo's least eventful scene in the series thus far.

I give the episode of 8. Coming from someone that didn't like episodes 7, 8, and 10 of Season 2. Tywin/Tyrion's scene was flawless. Dany and Jon's stories are already more interesting than they were for the entirety of Season 2. I enjoyed seeing Margaery's new scenes. Davos and Stannis was solid, about what I expected. There was no exposition/sexposition. Everything looked wonderful. The only big problem I had was no battle in the beginning. That was cheap and lazy considering how Season 2 ended.

Edited by Lothar

It's absolutely true that Cunningham's really terrific. Immensely likable. Since Davos is perhaps my second favorite character in the series, it's a pleasure to see the character with such a strong actor, and (so far) written very well.

It's absolutely true that Cunningham's really terrific. Immensely likable. Since Davos is perhaps my second favorite character in the series, it's a pleasure to see the character with such a strong actor, and (so far) written very well.

Well, now, that sets up THE obvious question--who's your first favorite? :)

8.5/10.

Loved a ton of scenes, felt the only weak points were the opening and a few small plot holes. Surprised there was no Arya, but the episode flowed very smoothly without feeling rushed to get to all the characters, which is something "The North Remembers" suffered from.

Hey everybody! I tried to create a new thread for this but maybe it wasn't approved because it's been a few days and it's still not posted so I'll give it a shot here. I post a new, short rap online everyday and I chose the season premiere as the topic for yesterdays verse. It's pretty much a summary of the episode and I would love to get some feedback from fans of the show! I apologize in advance if this goes against any forum guidelines but I didn't see anything in the rules section that addressed it. Hope you enjoy!

Negative:

The charity scene felt very out of place...too modern in a way. It's not terribly out of character though. I wonder how much of it they're going to attribute to political cunning and how much to altruism.

Charity (by Margery) in a middle ages setup? It looks just plain wrong, even if she has smth in mind

(+)

Tyrion/Tywin scene is amazing (always happens when they stop inventing stuff)

In the book, there is a brief reference to her charity. After starving the city, the Tyrells ride in and give out bread to the hungry "in the name of Lady Margaery". It's more obvious in the books that it's a way to gain support from the smallfolk around KL. I actually like how they convey the same concept in the orphan scene. It's a little longer than necessary, but Natalie Dormer is an established actress so they probably felt them should increase the size of the role.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly that things are better when they stick as closely to the book as possible. I felt that the first few episodes of Season 1 were fantastic and I saw them before I read the books, but realized later how close they were to the original plot and dialogue.

Would have liked

- Fewer pointless scenes. Bronn, Cersei-Tyrion, Bronn-Tyrion. Genuinely, what was the point of these?

Also does anyone else get the feeling that

1) they're making Joff-Marg into a romance

I agree that some of the scenes were not particular useful, but I love the Bronn-Tyrion and Cersei-Tyrion chemistry among the actors. There are so many young and inexperienced actors in this show that they seem to want to give more screen time to people with proven acting ability, regardless of the screen time they get in the books.

I don't think Joff-Marg will be a romance, but will show Marg's increasing influence over Joff. They didn't show that in the books, but I think it works here..

HATED the Sansa-LF-Shae-Ros scene. 1) Sansa was back to her annoyingly whiny Season 1 self and she should have outgrown that, 2) there is NO WAY LF would have revealed plans of any sort to someone like Sansa who can't keep a secret, and 3) Ros warning Shae was completely unnecessary. TV Shae knows what's what and just showing her looking suspiciously at LF and Sansa would have accomplished the same thing. I actually like the actress who plays Ros, but her character is a waste of time (except for the scene in Season 1 that introduced Tyrion).

Clapped my hands when I saw the hooded man following Dany (Barristan)--he's back! I think the Arstan disguise was an easy sacrifice for time and didn't miss it. They can always introduce Strong Belwas later.

Was disappointed during the credits when I realized that Jaime and Arya would not be in the episode, but I agree that it was right to cut down the number of storylines in the first episode. It does feel weird that there was no mention of Theon after he was knocked on the head in previous episode. I know his story, but I think a non-reader might wonder what the heck happened to him.

Did anyone think that Valyrian did not sound as refined as expected? not a big deal, but I sounded too common to me.

7 out of 10, but not surprising for the first episode in the season. I am confident that it will be great as the plot develops

Did anyone think that Valyrian did not sound as refined as expected? not a big deal, but I sounded too common to me.

What we heard was a variant of "Low Valyrian" or as David Peterson calls it "Astapor Valyrian". We're going to hear some High Valyrian later and it should sound MUCH more refined.