How would you rate episode 301?

Ran

How would you rate episode 301?  

795 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

what made it more heartbreaking was that you really knew, he lost 4

Yeah, it's much more painful for him in the books, but a scene on TV always touches me much more than on a book, especially if it has a touching track playing during the scene. Maybe I'm not much of a reader, but some sad scenes on the book didn't touch me much. The RW shocked me, but it didn't make me want to cry. I expect it's version on the show to do, though, because of its medium.

Edited by Nezzer

I liked the episode. I guess it makes sense to start off setting the scene a bit. I was really impressed with the casting of Tormund; that actor is fantastic for the role and he has a nice accent. I also really liked the casting of Kraznys, and also that they are making Margaery into a more interesting character than she was in the books.

7/10

Only because this was a re-introduction episode that didn't had any "holy crap" moments. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and am excited about this show. One gripe I had was why hadn't Mance told Jon he was at Winterfell when Rober had asked Ned to become hand. I liked Jon's explanation that all Mance had seen was a bastard in the courtyard rather than "fighting on the side of the living."

A minor gripe, yes, but still it would've made the crossing over to the Wildlings a little more believable.

Gave it a solid 7/10.

Things I loved:

1. The giant. Was just what I had hoped for.

2. Dragon CGI. I was greatly impressed. When Dany was "petting" it, I was really blown away by the detail.

3. Tyrion/Tywin interaction (of course). Charles Dance never fails to amaze me. Why have I not heard of him before?? Of course Peter is great as well.

4. Really all of Dany's scenes. I was dreading her storyline after watching last season, but was impressed by the first episode. The Unsullied part was true to the book, and while changing the assassin to the warlocks was different, it worked. I wasn't a huge fan of Barristan's reveal, but they have to do what they have to do. The one thing that irked me in this scene was that Mormont wasn't cautious when a little girl was telling Dany to open a strange ball she rolled toward her. I understand it was meant as a game, but Jorah has always been a little over protective. It was surprising to me that he didn't say anything at that point.

5. Margaery (sp?). I really like the sly way they are taking her in the show, making her a bit more like the Queen of Thorns a little earlier. I also think Natalie Dormer is very attractive, so that might have something to do with it...

6. Bronn.

7. I gotta have more Roose baby!

Things that were "meh":

1. No Strong Belwas. Wasn't mad by any means, but I was disappointed he didn't make an appearance.

2. Tormund Giantsbane and Mance both. Actually, the entire fucking wildling scene. Tormund wasn't as jovial as he was in the books and Mance did not strike me as "book Mance" by any means. I will reserve judgement of these two characters until further into the season, though. That is why I put this in "meh" instead of hate. I haven't seen enough yet to make an informed opinion.

3. Robb and Cat in Harrenhall. I admit, at first I was confused where they were at. Everything about the scene was "meh" except for the Roose staredown.

4. Tyrion and Cersei. I thought the dialogue was a bit of a reach here. Didn't really find it as enthralling as most of Tyrion's 1-on-1 character speeches.

Things that I hated:

1. No battle at the Fist. I understand due to budget constraints that it couldn't be a huge brawl, but some clanging pots and a scream on a black screen? I was seriously pissed 30 seconds into the episode!

2. Ros.

3. Shae.

4. They way they are laying all of Littlefinger's plans right out on the table. There is no espionage or deception here. In the books he was an incredibly sly motherfucker, and wouldn't share his future moves with anyone. I guess they must water some aspects of the books down for the show.

Special mentions:

1. God damn it, Tyrion is supposed to be disfigured! All he has is a little scratch! Is nobody else still pissed at this?

2. Now that Bronn is a knight, can't he afford better looking whores??

1. God damn it, Tyrion is supposed to be disfigured! All he has is a little scratch! Is nobody else still pissed at this?

Not really. Giving Dinklage that kind of makeup would affect his ability to act, as covering the face means that it's harder to convey the subtle emotions. Dinklage was already a lot better looking than Tyrion anyway.

Almost perfect. If Sansa had been left out of the episode, it would have been perfect.

The dragons were amazing. It looks like a lot of effort was spent on Drogon doing his dinner antics. It's finally good to see Ghost doing something. The Unsullied were not what I expected, but they were impressive nevertheless.

Almost perfect. If Sansa had been left out of the episode, it would have been perfect.

The dragons were amazing. It looks like a lot of effort was spent on Drogon doing his dinner antics. It's finally good to see Ghost doing something. The Unsullied were not what I expected, but they were impressive nevertheless.

I posted in the Ros and Shae thread that the Sansa scene would've been better with Sansa just sitting there watching the ships until LF comes up to her.

Hated:

obligatory boob scene but am amused by show Bronn and his banter with Tyrion.

Ros and Shae. Yawn

The Davos scenes fell flat to me.

Show Dany is becoming as boring as book Dany. Maybe this is inevitable.

Didn't really love the Marge and the orphans scene but do understand that they are trying to portray how Marge plays the Game of Thrones.

Not really how I pictured Mance.

No Battle of the Fist.

Loved:

I thought Lena Headley was great in this episode. She really embodies Cersei to me with her snide delivery and facial expressions. Love the building rivalry between her and Marge

Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance were amazing. Hands down best scene of he show.

I kind of liked Jon Snow's "I want to fight on the side of the living, have I come to the right place" line, even though it diverged from the books. It worked on the show. I can't remember completely because its been awhile since I read the book, but didn't book Jon tell Mance that it was because of where he sat during Robert's visit to Winterfell? This wouldn't have worked on the show without Mance explaining he had been there as well. They seem to be leaving out bard-Mance...don't know if that's a good idea given events down thw line but maybe it will be shown in subsequent episodes.

Not sure I like the introduction of Qyburn this way. Putting my reasoning within book spoiler code.

If he almost died at the hands of Lannisters, why would he be so helpful to Cersei during the WOS and with Robert Strong?

This is kinda off topic, but am I the only one who found herself agreeing a little with Tywin during his conversation with Tyrion? Never thought that would happen! Not sure if it's the power of Charles Dance...

Tyrion talks about how much he enjoyed being hand. Tywin sees it more as a duty than something to enjoy and seems annoyed that Tyrion treats it as something fun.

Tyrion did spend an awful lot of time with a prostitute, even though the kingdoms were at war. Tywin gave him great responsibility and power and he sullied the family name by hanging with prostitutes.

Tyrion acts as though Tywin took something away from him (the lodgings, the position, the Hand pin) even though he knew all along that he was just temporarily in the position of Hand.

That being said, Tyrion did save KL (including Cersei and the kids) and should have been shown respect and some attention from his father when he was ill. However, I can see why Tywin doesn't take him seriously...