How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I didn't like the episode at all. Most of it was just boring, but the scenes that stood out where the bad ones, namely Tyrion/Shae and, of course, Catelyn/Talisa. :bang: The only good scene was the Olenna scene and that was pretty much straight from the books.

One thing I do enjoy a lot is the acting. Even when the writing is bad I love all the Joffrey scenes just because Jack is doing such a great job. Jaime and Brienne were great too.

Nobody in their right mind will actually believe that Cat's treatment of Jon is directly responsible for the fate of her other children. This is certainly a change for Cat, but it's just grief and overreaction and grim reflection..

My take on it is that Cat is trying to find a pattern in the chaos. Having lost people in my life, you start asking yourself questions. should i have done something different? is it my fault? It's not unheard of to have regrets in life, especially after the damage is done. Her husband, father, and maybe her children are dead and she's still here. Why?

With that said, it's a major deviation from the book. Screen Cat is different from book Cat. The only commonality is that a large portion of fans dislike her in both incarnations.

At least they ended it with her saying she didn't keep her promise. If they had ended it with some crap like "if only I could see him again to say I'm sorry" , there would have been a table flipped in my house.

The only good scene was the Olenna scene and that was pretty much straight from the books.

My husband loved that scene too and asked if it was from the books. He can now spot which scenes are almost direct quotes because "they are so intense" which says a lot about the quality of the rest of the writing. :(

(We both still really like the show, we just know the GRRM scenes are the best)

I gave it an 8. It felt like there were so many things going on at once, but I thoroughly enjoyed practically every part. I thought the Sansa meeting the Queen of Thorns scene was a little rushed. Also, I thought they could have described the Reeds a little bit better. I bet non-book watchers are a little confused. The only part I didn't particularly care for was the Shae/Tyrion scene. Favorite part: the ending scenes--Arya's and Jaimie's. Most critics say things really pick up next episode so I can't wait!!!

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Very strong episode. Loved the Reeds, Thoros, and especially the QoT. Diana Rigg is perfect for the role as far as I'm concerned. Theon's scenes were disturbing as they should have been - and "boy" looks like he'll be fantastic in his...future role. :devil:

Forgive me for not understanding all the consternation about the infamous character assassinating Cat scene. Basically all she said was that she momentarily felt bad for wishing Jon dead and in her guilt thought she might be able to accept him among her own, and then when he got better, she went right back to business as usual. Hardly a ruination of either book or show Cat.

You may have missed the part where she indicates that only a mother can make one of those figures for their child.

I didn't miss it, and I doubt Godric did either. The simple fact of the situation was that she wished ill on Jon and then he caught the pox. A devoted believer in the supernatural (as Cat is) might believe her prayers had been answered, so to speak, and feel intense guilt in retrospect. So she made the sevencatcher as a "motherly" gesture in a moment of doubt, then came to her senses once Jon recovered.

As to her statement at the end to Talisa about this all being her fault, Azad's explanation above captures my opinion pretty well:

My take on it is that Cat is trying to find a pattern in the chaos. Having lost people in my life, you start asking yourself questions. should i have done something different? is it my fault? It's not unheard of to have regrets in life, especially after the damage is done. Her husband, father, and maybe her children are dead and she's still here. Why?

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

I assume her talk with Talisa was the character "assassination" scene some people have talked about. Honestly, I think it was a solid choice to add. It adds another level of depth to Cat and Jon's relationship. Cat. would have to be a sociopath not to feel some kind of remorse for Jon while he was on the brink of death. It also speaks to her rage about Jon that even after her "Come to Jesus" moment she went right back to hating him.

With that said, it's a major deviation from the book. Screen Cat is different from book Cat. The only commonality is that a large portion of fans dislike her in both incarnations.

At least they ended it with her saying she didn't keep her promise. If they had ended it with some crap like "if only I could see him again to say I'm sorry" , there would have been a table flipped in my house.

I agree completely and I don't think it's odd for a mother or parent to think that way. In fact I'd be surprised if you didn't. It's self torture but that's often how you react to such brutally depressing news.

Character assassination? That's being a bit melodramatic.

I gave it a 7/10. I don't know why I didn't like it as much as a lot of you guys did. I thought it was a bit slow, and it didn't feel as coherant as the previous episode. There were some good moments thought: Brienne and Jaime; Arya and the Brotherhood; Margaery, Sansa, and Olenna; and yes...I actually liked the Reeds. But there was one moment that i hated. CATELYN'S SCENE. Its not the actresses fault (I love the actress), but the writers decided to completely ruin her character. AACCK. God. I feel like Im not going ot care during the red wedding, because they are making Robb and Catelyn totally despicable and stupid. They nedd to develop both of them WAY MORE

I wish more things were developed this episode. Sansa agreeing to tell the Tyrells about Joffrey felt a little rushed especially since this was pretty much her first scene with Margery. So while the nods of encouragement were wonderful, it didn't seem to make sense why she would all of a sudden trust the Tyrells and confess Joffrey's treatment to her even though Margery was to marry Joffrey. Really feel like Margery needed to spend some time trying to befriend Sansa first. Also, the BWB introduction and Arya felt incredibly rushed, especially since the Hound was introduced so quickly afterwards. Hope they go back and sort of explain BWB better. IDK, this is the second episode and Arya's storyline was given so little time, I almost feel like it's meant to be a really down played this season and take the back burner. That said, it's still early on so, I hope it will be better flushed out. Conclusion: overall complaint is some storylines feeling rushed in this episode.

Margery though felt like a real player in the game. I particularly liked how in the Sansa scene it is said Margery's father wants her to become queen, and which explains book!Sansa think Margery more a pawn when really Margery has ambition in the show (aka a pov character misreading another character). Also, Margery dealing with a possibly very dangerous situation with Joffrey, and outmanuevering him. Cersei's lose of power is fantastic to watch. Jaime and his weakness in fighting after the imprisionment and real happiness to do it, while the overall idea that he really would kill Brienne to get away is magnificient to watch really.

ETA: I gave it 5/10. If it was another show I would have given it a 7/10, but GoT I expect more from.

Edited by modbelle

saved by the bell or in this case, the last 10 minutes or so. The rest was too rushed with too much crammed into too many short scenes. A 7 at best. The Vikings were actually better this week.

as for Dormer, I could just watch her for the hour and be happy.

I wish more things were developed this episode. Sansa agreeing to tell the Tyrells about Joffrey felt a little rushed especially since this was pretty much her first scene with Margery. So while the nods of encouragement were wonderful, it didn't seem to make sense why she would all of a sudden trust the Tyrells and confess Joffrey's treatment to her even though Margery was to marry Joffrey. Really feel like Margery needed to spend some time trying to befriend Sansa first. Also, the BWB introduction and Arya felt incredibly rushed, especially since the Hound was introduced so quickly afterwards. Hope they go back and sort of explain BWB better. IDK, this is the second episode and Arya's storyline was given so little time, I almost feel like it's meant to be a really down played this season and take the back burner. That said, it's still early on so, I hope it will be better flushed out.

In the novels it happens the same way. She never meets Marg or QoT before that lunch and she is talked into it quite quickly. Short of having a 15 minute scene to build trust I don't know how this could be done differently.

I would give it a 6.... The scene with Shae/Tyrion was downright awful. It completely lacked emotion and wasn't convincing at all. Same could be said about the scene with Cat/Talisa. And I can't imagine Cersei allowing Joffrey to talk to her like that...

The rest of the episode wasn't too bad.

6, One of my least favorite episodes so far. Several unnecessary scenes. The Shae/Tyrion scene and the Margery/Joffrey scene just seemed like a waste of time. I didnt mind the Cat scene as much as I thought I would. This episode just seemed more like a bunch of set up scenes. Nothing really happened.

Edited by Ser Farbod

Maybe I should have upgraded to an 8 for Anguy's "Yo, I'mma shoot dis arrow in the sky, and if you don't move ya fat ass by the time I'm done talkin', you gonna be dead"

That was awesome.

Indeed, happy that you posted about it, because was one of my favorite moments on the episode :)

Yes...I'm sure you speak for everyone who has read the books and watches the show. I don't like the casting either.

probably, but telling someone they're alone seems a little rude and inaccurate...

I'm in the group (like you) that don't like her as Mag, and I think that considering that many people here likes and deslikes some of the casting I think you're right to point out that we should not criticize anyone here about this kind of comment, they are personal opinions, period. I also find painful the performance of the actress that plays Shae, but that doen't mean that she's bad, only that she is bad IMO for this character. That's the same feeling that I have about Dormer, specially because I didn't pictured Mag while reading the books as she portrays her.

In the novels it happens the same way. She never meets Marg or QoT before that lunch and she is talked into it quite quickly. Short of having a 15 minute scene to build trust I don't know how this could be done differently.

The thing is I remember buying it in the novel, maybe partially because it was in Sansa's pov. But in the show, it just felt weird for her to be agreeing to tell Margery these things. I feel like the show would have benefitted from a set up scene even though the book didn't need it. One of the people I watch the show with has never read the books and they were scratching their heads about why Sansa would do something like that.

I liked it better than the first actually. Really liked the Bran and Reeds scenes, the best in the episode IMO. As for Rickon running off, I assumed he was just running ahead of the group or going to do whatever Rickon does (playing, gathering berries or plants, ect). He'll be back whanever we see Bran again I think. Cat scene was a little weird but doesn't bother me nor do I think it will ruin Cats character. I truly believe the Shae and Tyrion scene could have been left out. The warging scene was great with Orell. I just hope they do not deviate from BloodRaven later in the series.

8 of 10