How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

7 and I'm being generous. I'm usually one of the show fanboys, but wow, what a letdown from last week. The editing was really off this week(I think Benioff and Weiss did it themselves, and it didn't seem to mesh well at all). This was the weakest episode of the entire series, IMO(yes, even weaker than The Kingsroad). Oh, and get rid of Vanessa Taylor. I'm generally fine with invented scenes, but I felt there were far too many this week, with only a handful being similar to the books.

Cons:

-Theon's torture was a major letdown for me. Not because I didn't find it gruesome, but it was just shot in such a way that it felt far too corny and even borderline comical. Alfie Allen is a good actor, but his acting really bugged me this episode

-Margaery/Joffrey scene was largely pointless. While they could have still left it in, they should have saved it for a later episode.

-NO BARRISTAN/DAENERYS? I'm not one that's itching to see Dany each week, but the ending to last week was just begging for a resolution.

-Ramsay. Not nearly creepy enough. Granted, he only had about 2 lines though, so I'll hold judgment

-I'd be fine with the Cat monologue, had she not blamed the woes of the Starks on her not loving Jon. That didn't really make sense.

-Swordfight was disappointing. I liked how Jaime freed himself so quickly, but the fighting was pretty clunky all around. Nothing compared to the fantastic Ned/Jaime fight from season 1.

-Tyrion/Shae felt too long. Sibel Kekilli's line delivery still bothers me. It just feels too wooden, and the pair didn't have much chemistry in this particular scene.

-Minor nitpicking, but the NW's march to Craster's Keep would have been far more effective if it was done at night.

Pros:

-Michelle Fairley absolutely killed in this episode. Wow. Yes, the monologue was confusing, but she delivered it really well

-First Brienne/Jaime scene was good

-Really liked Paul Kaye as Thoros

-Olenna isn't completely like her character in the books, but I can understand the change, given that it would appear too similar to Maggie Smith's Downton Abbey character.

-"Yeah,we left ya. You're fat and you're slow, and we didn't want to die"-Oh, Dolorous Edd, I love you so much

-I liked how they showed Karstark's growing dissent, and mentioned the negative effects of Robb marrying Talisa

-Yay for warging! Yay for backstory on Howland Reed and Robert's Rebellion

-Liked the Reeds' introduction. Also, direwolves look great

Stray observations:

-What was up with Ciaran Hinds' accent this week? Is he a part of the Aidan Gillen Revolving Accents Club?

-Is it just me or has Sophie Turner gained a teeny weeny bit of weight? I mean that in a good way.

-Wow, the Stark kids look so much older.

-Are we still getting Sam killing the WW?

-Joe Dempsie has been added to the main cast. So I'm assuming he's getting a more prominent role, if he is going to take the part of Edric Storm.

Edited by Pinkie Baelish

The thing is I remember buying it in the novel, maybe partially because it was in Sansa's pov. But in the show, it just felt weird for her to be agreeing to tell Margery these things. I feel like the show would have benefitted from a set up scene even though the book didn't need it. One of the people I watch the show with has never read the books and they were scratching their heads about why Sansa would do something like that.

The problem is they don't have an unlimited amount of scenes to express a simple concept, which is that Sansa appears to admire Marg and Olenna's so brutally honest and forward even about her own family that she seems trustworthy. Not to mention Sansa is looking for friends like her and has likely been dying to tell someone desperately how awful Joffrey is.

The thing is I remember buying it in the novel, maybe partially because it was in Sansa's pov. But in the show, it just felt weird for her to be agreeing to tell Margery these things. I feel like the show would have benefitted from a set up scene even though the book didn't need it. One of the people I watch the show with has never read the books and they were scratching their heads about why Sansa would do something like that.

I felt it was epic. Showed how fragile and messed up she is over her King's Landing experience and how cautious she is about opening her mouth. The fact that she couldn't hold it in goes to show how close to a boiling point she was all along, it didn't take much for a little girl to finally greave over her father and the abuse she received from her betrothed.

Wit the exception of

butterbumps

the QoT, Sansa scene was almost word for word from the book. Loved it. The Cat/Talisa dialogue was, WTF, bad. I'm sorry. Just bad and too divergent from books and it showed.

Edit

The Arya scene was weak. She came out and said her grandfather was a lord. She keeps that close the vest.

The Shae/Tyrion scene was also weak, but I sort of see where they're going with it.

Edited by Dread Pirate Dave

True. But like, its pretty gnarly for those of us who know whats going on here. It is leaving non-readers rather baffled. (like my mum thought it was someone related to Theon who set this up. Like his dad or something. Poor mum..lol)

They just...have no idea how fucked up Ramsay is.

This is what I'm worried about. I have a feeling Theon's arc this season is going to confuse the hell out of a lot of viewers.

BTW, if you seperate books from the show, Cat's monologue would have worked, IF it weren't for that last line. If Cat did feel guilty about the war, you would think that it had to do with arresting Tyrion or freeing Jaime, rather than not loving Jon. Unloved Jon has nothing to do with Ned's death, Sansa being a captive, or Bran and Rickon's "deaths." I'm still hoping that we get a reconciliation between Robb and Cat.

Edited by Pinkie Baelish

I might be alone in this but I think Alfie Allen was exceptional during his scenes. His screams - holy s**t.

Thoros of Myr is an immediate hit as well. No idea why he was singing the Rains of Castemere but ah well.

The scene with Olenna was good, the Reeds seem cool, Jaime and Brienne's scenes were decent, although I hate the noise Gwendoline Christie makes when she fights.

I actually liked Catelyn's monologue. Some people seem to think she has now decided she likes Jon Snow. Just because she didn't want him to die, doesn't mean she all of a sudden sees her as one of her own. She even said so herself. A change, yes. But hardly 'character assassination.'

I thought the scenes in the north were a little dull this week, but it's all building to something I suppose.

Really couldn't give a shit about the exclusion of butterbumps or the bear and maiden fair or any of that. To have Sansa opening up in such an emotional the way as she did with someone prancing around in the background would just be absurd.

Edited by Chuck88

This is what I'm worried about. I have a feeling Theon's arc this season is going to confuse the hell out of a lot of viewers.

I think it will for sure since viewers tend to not know names (i.e. "Bolton"??? who?? lol) ... but personally, oh well, I want to see more Theon/Alfie, so I'm pleased so far.

I think it's just a case of wait and see and it will all make sense. Not that Ramsay is a very logical man. Theon is as confused as anyone right now, the viewer is truly in his shoes.

I gave episode 302 and 8/10. Which I think is definitely better than the first episode, which was basically a travelogue.

I don't understand why the writers are adding more stuff when they have way more material than they can ever use?

Although stuff that they added that worked (scene between Margaery and Joffrey was great).

Weird mentions of homosexuality (which hardly ever comes up in the books). Having Joffrey want to have the death penalty for homosexuality just adds to my dislike of hi,. I think the actor is doing amazing work at making his character absolutely odious. And Jaime's crack "If the iron throne was made of cocks Renly would never get off it"was hysterically funny(and I'm a gay man mjyself!)

Hey if they're gonna torture Theon why not make him naked too? :drool:

Oh Arya!

I don't hate the Shae scenes exactly but they are definitely not good.

I don't understand why the producers feel they need to give Talisa more screen time...

The Sansa scene with the QueenofThorns was fabulous. I thought Sophie Turner (Sansa) did a fine job.

I agree that there seems o be something slightly off about the scenes with Jon and Sam.

Jojen Reed was he best thing about the episode, I think.

Just some random thoughts...

1. Marg is a dangerous girl. Love her character.

2. So glad to see the Hound. One of my favorite characters of the show.

3. Hot Pie needs more screen time!

4. Are Rickon and Osha along for the ride for good?

5. Arya has put on some weight. Will make her character and transformation to a ninja assassin more believable.

6. Bran is old. What happened to that cute little boy? lol

7. Could have done w/out Shae getting jealous about Sansa. That was a little lame. One second she's worried about her; next second she is jealous of her b/c Tyrion remarks that she's pretty. WTF? Out of character for someone who has been portrayed as pragmatic.

8. Kingslayer/Brienne fight scene was pretty good.

9. As others have noted, Kingslayer's joke about Renly and the throne was the best line of the episode.

10. QofT had a nice scene. Bring me my cheese!

11. Summer looking badass when Jojen Reed appeared was probably my favorite scene of the episode.

12. Bran is so big that Hodor can't carry him.

13. I really wanted to see a shadow cat. When the heck am I going to see a shadow cat?!

14. Jojen saying he saw what happened during the Rebellion was interesting for, well, you know why. Does Jojen know who Jon Stark's mother is?

15. Hodor

EDITED TO ADD MORE THOUGHTS

16. No real problem with Cat talking about Jon Snow. I already thought Cat was annoying, so whatever.

17. Theon stuff was great.

18. Karstark talking about Robb's wife was ... interesting.

19. Loved all the Brotherhood scenes.

20. The map at the beginning of the episode seems a little off scale. Is this just me?

Edited by Bran's Legs

Mediocre episode at best. Were it not for that last scene between Jaime and Brienne, I would have considered this the weakest episode out of all three seasons. That scene between Tyrion and Shae was forced, and completely out of place. And it appears that the show really wants to soften Catelyn just a little bit, to make her seem just a little bit less of a b**** to Jon Snow. I don't like it at all. That is changing her character.

I gave it 7 and actually felt it deserved it, where with the last episode I felt I was being generous. Overall, the first two episodes were a bit disappointing, but still a decent start to the season. As for the Cat scene, I wouldn't call it assassination, if only because they reduced her long ago to a simple worried mother character. That she would want to mother Jon isn't so surprising then, though even for the setting it makes no sense (are they going to have her be the one to convince Robb to name Jon his heir then?).

Ehhh...it was a little slow. I understand it's setting up for a roller coaster of awesome, but I feel like the pacing kind of sucks. I know there's a lot of characters, but I feel like if they had 4 people focused on one episode, then another four on another, etc. instead of eight 7-minute scenes the show would feel better.

Edited by fuseprime

• What's with Rickon's just running off like that, why would they let him, and why would Summer leave Bran? I don't think that the show is at all accurately or effectively depicting the nature of the bond between the Starks (and Jon Snow) and their direwolves.

I don't think Rickon was running off for good. At least, that's the impression I got. I think he was just running around like a little kid would do or something.

Only scene I didn't like was Shae/Tyrion. Tv Margaery, to me, is far more interesting and convincing than the book version. Love that casting, and Sophie Turner was great as well. Can't believe I'm liking Sansa, because I hated her in the books.

Don't get the hate for the Catelyn "change". She acknowledged that she basically hated him the entire time in Winterfell, and couldn't live up to the promises she made to the gods to spare his life. She's seeing her entire family fall apart, feels guilty, and blames herself. To the extent it's a change, it's not a huge one except, I think, to readers who were really angry at how she treated Jon. But at this point in the narrative, isn't her past treatment of Jon kind of a moot point? Jon's certainly got more on his mind than how Catelyn treated him....

Jon's certainly got more on his mind than how Catelyn treated him....

Yeah, but Cat doesn't know that. Also, if Robb dies, the only son left would be Jon, the one she didn't love. That's the whole "punishment" for her.

Anyway, speaking of Sansa and Margaery, Sansa looks so... coulourless and plain around her. I hope that's intentional.

-Is it just me or has Sophie Turner gained a teeny weeny bit of weight? I mean that in a good way.

She hasn't. But either she has gotten broader shoulders (which is normal for her age, as she's still growing) or her costumes are making her look broader in the shoulders area. I think it's the latest, as she doesn't look that broad in normal clothes.

Edited by gammaerys