How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Gave it eight. Really solid if not spectacular episode that delivered in terms of both plot and character.

Best parts:

- Reeds introduction was great. I'm not particularly a fan of them in the books, but Jojen in particular was excellent.

- Lots of focus on House Bolton.

- Cat's monologue was really good. Wonderful acting by Michelle Fairley and the claims of supposed "character assassination" have proved quite unfounded.

- Queen of Thorns and Margaery are both brilliant.

- Nice intro with the BwB and showed Arya's fearlessness. Can't wait to see Beric.

Worst part:

- Two eps and no sign of Varys!

Moreover, you literally have her taking the view that maybe this is all her fault. Those who are inclined to believe that, either through latent misgoyny, a lack of empathy, or a preference for simplistic narratives, are just going to latch onto it. That's not what I think the writers expected, but it's what they're going to get.

Well, let's be fair here. A lot of readers of the books hate Catelyn. I think that's bizarre personally, and I know that's not what George intended. But it hardly seems fair to blame the show for making many show-only viewers blame Catelyn without acknowledging the book did the same thing (albeit very differently).

At this point I don't really think of them as the same character, and while I certainly wasn't a Catelyn hater I didn't love her character either. I wish they had stuck to the book Catelyn and I don't know why they didn't, but while it's a shame there are other alterations that bother me a lot more (Jon & Quorin at the top of the list).

Edited by Abaddon

I enjoyed this episode better than last time. See? Without nude scenes squeezing in, we get to see more of our important characters on screen.

Ridiculous. 30 seconds of screen time is the difference between getting to see important characters and not? Please.

Liked:

- Theon's torture scenes. Hearing about it was pretty harrowing in the books and it looks like it'll be the same on the show. I loved the setting up of Ramsey to fuck with Theon.

- Jamie and Brienne. I think they've caught the dynamic between those two perfectly. Brienne was even caught having a wee look at Jamie's 'goods' when he was taking a piss. The fight was fine IMO. Jamie still exudes danger even when he's in chains but I liked how they showed that Brienne is good enough to overcome an out of shape Kingslayer (still in chains).

- I liked the introduction of the BoB. Thoros was different to how I imagined but I liked it. I thought they adapted that part of the story very well so far.

- Sansa'a meeting the Marg and QoT. Rigg was excellent and again, I thought they caught the spirit of a fairly important scene very well.

So-so:

- I thought the introducation of the Reeds could have been better. My only real problem is that it felt rushed and the explanation of green dreams and Bran's importance felt rushed, given that it's pretty important. Liked the casting though and this can all be fixed in the next few episodes.

- North of the Wall. They were just 'moving the story along' scenes for me.

- Marg and Joff. It was quite funny to see Margarey wrapping Joffrey round her little finger with all her double entendres. I half expected Jack Gleeson to walk across the room John Wayne style.

Dind't like:

- Robb's scenes. I feel like Robb's becoming more unlikable than he was in the books and in earlier series. He's lost a bit of energy.

- Cat and Tulisa. I'm not as opposed to the change in itself as some people, just found the scene boring.

- Shae and Tyrion. Shae's already a well established character and their relationship is already well set up, I found that scene unnessesary.

I suppose that makes it a 7/10 for me then. I'm just itching to get past the 'setting up the story' phase and get to the action.

Yes exactly. It's so frustrating, especially with the Shae/Sansa friendship. They already had an amazing rivarly between Cersei and Margaery - why do they need more? The only reason the Cersei/Margaery rivalry works so well is because they actually both have a lot of reasons to be wary of each other.

As book-readers, we should all know why they need to start developing a Shae/Sansa rift. Shae and Tyrion have much more of a genuine relationship in the show than the books. I was really glad to see the signs of some cracks in their relationship. Sansa is clearly going to end up being a big wedge between them. This is earlier than I expected, but they do need to start planting some seeds so it doesn't just come out of nowhere.

This was a good episode.The Cat think sucked.But most of the other things were great.Reeds introduction was brilliantly done.I also liked how they showed warging .the best part for me was Jojen talking about Howland"He didnt tell us about the rebellion."That man can keep a secret.

Theon torturing was great!!

I gave S3Ep1 an 8.5/10 (voted 8/10), this one a 7.5/10 (voted 7). Rounded down because I tend to be a little over-positive.

I thought the episode was very solid, but only occasionally spectacular. I can't believe I am saying it but I think the lack of Dany in this episode is the biggest single reason for my rating difference. It seems strange to say that after almost a full season of not caring (positively or negatively) for Dany's storyline at all. In any case:

+ Unlike most weighing in here I really liked the Shae/Tyrion scene. I thought it very effectively captured an awakening awkwardness and rift between them. Shae was genuinely surprised and a little bit angry that Tyrion admitted finding Sansa attractive; Tyrion was defensive but not really apologetic.

+ I loved the QoT. Thought she was perfect. I've been very on the fence with Mance (and continue to be so) but am delighted with Rigg so far.

+ I loved Thoros, aside from the bizarre choice of having him sing the Rains of Castamere. WTF?

+ I liked Orell's introduction.

+ I liked the Brienne/Jaime fight well enough. It suffered a bit from being condensed from the book but in the end I thought they captured the important bits. Looking forward to seeing more of Locke.

+ I "liked" the Theon bits... they weren't over the top (yet) which is good because they will need to build up to that.

o I am neutral on the Robb stuff. I do think they are doing a good job of developing Karstark and Bolton.

- Although I was prepared for it, the Catelyn scene seemed really weird. Everything about it was really well executed but it was like Bizarro Catelyn... think http://upload.wikime...ssicBizarro.PNG... and just ... well, bizarre :). I should note that everyone else I was watching it with (mostly show-only viewers, a casual book-reader, and a spoiled viewer) all thought the scene was great.

- The Beyond the Wall stuff (all of it) underwhelmed, other than Orell. At least the scenery is spectacular.

Will need a re-watch to really dig in.

Edited by Abaddon

Watching it again I enjoyed it Anguy is cool, shame Thoros is off that terrible Betvictor advert.

Pretty sure that was the bastard saying he was going to help Theon, free him and hunt him down.

Only problem is we're 2 episodes in and not an awful lot has happened, Jamie and Brienne have been caught, Ayra's been found out.

Apart from that Jon's walking about a bit with the wildlings, Sam's walked about a bit with the nights watch, Tyrion and Cerrsie have just talked. Hopefully it'll begin to gather some steam from now on, preview for next week looks like Danny will get her Spartans... I mean unsullied

Edited by Serr Parker

Weird how many people loved this episode, one of the weakest eps of the show so far tbh ! I gave it a 7, last week was better tbh. This one jumped about a lot and the writing seemed lacking. Olenna scene was great, loved everything Bolton-related. Jaimie-Brienne was fine.

What DID annoy me was the amount of time dedicated to pointless scenes like Shae and Tyrion or Margaery or Joffrey (did they really need to make a gay-basher as well?!) . I like that there was foreshadowing in the latter, and it was well acted, but way, way too long. BECAUSE they stretched those scenes out so long, more important scenes like the Brotherhood/Hound stuff was rushed to fuck. I mean... there was no dramatic tension to the Hound revealing Arya at all. It just sort of happened and then cut away.

And Catelyn and Jon Snow... hopefully this isn't brought up again. I'd just prefer that it didn't happen. To me, the only major botch the series has made so far has been the Season 2 story arc of Daenerys, but if they continue like this then Catelyn's character will be the next major fuck up.

Shame cos I loved Ep1, and felt it was well paced. This one wasn't at all - rushing the wrong bits and stretching it out others.

Only problem is we're 2 episodes in and not an awful lot has happened, Jamie and Brienne have been caught, Ayra's been found out.

Apart from that Jon's walking about a bit with the wildlings, Sam's walked about a bit with the nights watch, Tyrion and Cerrsie have just talked. Hopefully it'll begin to gather some steam from now on, preview for next week looks like Danny will get her Spartans... I mean unsullied

The Tyrells have started manipulating quite a lot. Davos have been found alive, gotten back to Dragonstone and tried to kill Melisandre. Tyrion has lost all the favor with his family that he seemingly had last season. Jon has actually been accepted by the Wildlings, not just walked a bit with them. Bran has met people that know what he is and it's been communicated to the viewers for the first time.

There's more to mention than that, and I haven't mentioned any pure character development scenes, but I think it shows that you've left out a bit in order to say that not much has happened.

more important scenes like the Brotherhood/Hound stuff was rushed to fuck. I mean... there was no dramatic tension to the Hound revealing Arya at all. It just sort of happened and then cut away.

Agree there ... I was uncomfortably reminded of how Arya stabbing the stable boy was botched. It seemed to be treated in such an offhand manner.

All in all 7/10. I enjoyed this episode less than the premier, which I understand is not a popular opinion. Or is it?

No, I am of exactly the same opinon and I also gave it a 7. It was a bit better the second time I watched it, though. The sword fight are still terrible though, especially they are waving their swords about before attacking, like in some Ninja B movie. Except most ninja b movies hanlde it better.

Gave it a 6.5 -- better than last week's but still needs improvement and its still frustrating how certain things are changed for absolutely no reason.

+

- Arya and BWB scenes, with the exception of Thyros of Myr baring steel against a 10 year old girl. What was that? Anguy was good, and the scene at the inn makes sense because there's no Harwin in that group.

- Jamie and Brienne interactions are absolutely hilarious. Jamie had me in stitches with the "throne made of cocks and you'd never get him off" line. Really good back and forth. Didn't mind the whole getting betrayed by a random traveler, it shows that even the "white" characters need to go "black" in Westeros.

- Queen of Thorns was really good, both funny and cunning. The scene and introduction did the book justice

- Jojen and Meera was well handled. Obviously has to be different from the books for timing reasons, but I thought it worked in context. Weird how Rickon just ran off an summer followed him, though.

- I like how they are keeping Bolton a presence, and thought the Karstark comments were right on -- and much needed. We haven't gotten any real blowback from the Frey's post wedding.

- I thought the Night's Watch scenes and Orell/Mance/Jon was fine

(-)

- Cat's monologue. Why? Just why? I'll never understand why the producers of this show change so many things that don't need to be changed. It's like they want to take ownership for the series or something.

- Talisa/Cat interactions: pointless and really poorly acted. I don't buy whatever Talisa is selling.

- Jamie & Brienne fight: poorly choreographed filmed and adapted from the book. Jamie is the best swordsman in Westeros and in the show we have seen him essentially draw with Ned Stark and get his ass kicked by Brienne. Jamie gives Brienne a run for her money and leaves her in awe of how good he is. Even if they had included a line from Brienne before the fight "your hands are chained together and you have been imprisoned for ___ you are a shell of your former self" it would have made it clear just how good Jamie is. Now his hand getting cut off matters so much less. Poorly done.

- Margery agreeing to kill something/someone while Joffrey watches. WTF is wrong with these writers? What goes through their heads? Why include this? We already know Joffrey is a deviant, but this is just way way to much. Left a sour taste in my mouth

- The actress who plays Shae is terrible. Dinklage was either overacting to try and save, or doesn't do nearly a good enough job playing the "dwarf in love" role.

I am often really bothered by the senseless changes from book to show. I understand things need to be changed for adaptation, but what I don't understand is including things that have no place in the book or drastically change who the character is.

I am also noticing that the acting is not nearly as good as it has been in past seasons, the girl who plays Talisa, Shae and espicially Loras stand out to me as being particularly awful. i know Kit Harrington is pretty bad, but I guess im just used to it by now.

Edited by Lux in Tenebris

Weird how many people loved this episode, one of the weakest eps of the show so far tbh ! I gave it a 7, last week was better tbh. This one jumped about a lot and the writing seemed lacking. Olenna scene was great, loved everything Bolton-related. Jaimie-Brienne was fine.

What DID annoy me was the amount of time dedicated to pointless scenes like Shae and Tyrion or Margaery or Joffrey (did they really need to make a gay-basher as well?!) . I like that there was foreshadowing in the latter, and it was well acted, but way, way too long. BECAUSE they stretched those scenes out so long, more important scenes like the Brotherhood/Hound stuff was rushed to fuck. I mean... there was no dramatic tension to the Hound revealing Arya at all. It just sort of happened and then cut away.

And Catelyn and Jon Snow... hopefully this isn't brought up again. I'd just prefer that it didn't happen. To me, the only major botch the series has made so far has been the Season 2 story arc of Daenerys, but if they continue like this then Catelyn's character will be the next major fuck up.

Shame cos I loved Ep1, and felt it was well paced. This one wasn't at all - rushing the wrong bits and stretching it out others.

Easy fix -- have arya run away and get on a horse and get tracked down -- ode to the book readers, a dramatic chase and Arya realizing what situation she is in. Arya would never just stand there after that reveal -- its obvious the writers just dont get the characters at all.

Easy fix -- have arya run away and get on a horse and get tracked down -- ode to the book readers, a dramatic chase and Arya realizing what situation she is in. Arya would never just stand there after that reveal -- its obvious the writers just dont get the characters at all.

How would a little girl get out of that house and onto a horse, not to mention actually getting away and needing to be tracked? As soon as she starts running someone would grab her.

And for people that supposedly don't get the characters at all they've managed to create quite a bit of non-book scenes that have pleased George. They must be extremely lucky people I guess.