How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I think they "get" Arya, that wasn't really my issue. It was just the pacing - there was only a limited amount of dialogue between the BWB and Arya and co. before the Hound was even introduced. Sometimes the show just drags things out for the sake of it... and then, at other points, they just throw everything at the wall at once.

I loved Season 1, and liked Season 2, but they need to start being more consistent with the way they pace this show because it's getting more stop-start by season. First season flowed marvellously.

9 for me. Absolutely loved it.

Only reason its not 10 is because they gave to much screen time to Shae and Catalyn which meant rushing through Jojen's, Boys, Theon's and The Hound's introduction.

This might be the first episode of GOT without nudity and someone being killed(Although we did get a lot worse than that!).

Watching it again I enjoyed it Anguy is cool, shame Thoros is off that terrible Betvictor advert.

Oh my god. Never would have clocked that without you pointing it out.

I gave a 6 last week, and felt it was a bit low. I'm giving the same this week, even if I thought the episode was ever so slightly worse.

Pros:

Pretty much every new character introduced hit the right notes with me. Anguy and the Reeds in particular.

Acting continues to be 95% very good. Sansa, Jaime and Brienne, BWB scenes all hit their mark and were enjoyable to watch. Also, the Marg/Joff scene dragged a bit but Jack Gleeson is a damned good actor.

Cons:

Nothing particularly exciting happened for the second episode in a row.

Tyrion shoehorned into the episode for no other reason than he's a fan favourite

Catelyn speech was just silly.

Few others but I have a headache right now.

I think they "get" Arya, that wasn't really my issue. It was just the pacing - there was only a limited amount of dialogue between the BWB and Arya and co. before the Hound was even introduced. Sometimes the show just drags things out for the sake of it... and then, at other points, they just throw everything at the wall at once.

I loved Season 1, and liked Season 2, but they need to start being more consistent with the way they pace this show because it's getting more stop-start by season. First season flowed marvellously.

I don't know if I agree with the pacing issue over seasons. I think the second season showed that they had gotten clearly better at pacing and having cuts between scenes feel more natural and less rushed (a quite common praise during the second season compared to the first). The only way I find that the first season stood out better in is that there were fewer characters and places to follow, something you just can't do anything about without removing storylines completely. The story will get wider and deeper.

How would a little girl get out of that house and onto a horse, not to mention actually getting away and needing to be tracked? As soon as she starts running someone would grab her.

And for people that supposedly don't get the characters at all they've managed to create quite a bit of non-book scenes that have pleased George. They must be extremely lucky people I guess.

1) She was already on her way out of the place with no one blocking her and the door. 2) I would expect there would be horses outside, although I didn't see anyone on horseback, so maybe not.

Either way, that's not really the point I was trying to make, just having her run away would have worked too. having her stand there looking scared makes no sense.

like the Shae Tyrion scene gets four minutes while Arya and the BTB scenes get 4 minutes total. I know what you are saying.

I gave it an 8. I really enjoyed it a lot. Queen of Thorns was great. Loved Arya's scenes. Loved the Reeds. Loved the wolves. HODOR!!! Love Hodor!! Love seeing how Theon becomes......he he he. Loved the banter between Jaime and Brienne. Brienne rocks. Their fight was meh though. Welcome back HOUND!!!

Tyrion scene was okay with Shae. Nothing great. I was fine with the Cat scene talking about Jon Snow. No biggie. These are not the books so I can live with the changes now as long as they add up in the end.

What I find so interesting and funny is how big the kids are getting. Bran is going to have to shave soon and Hodor will have to drag him with the help of a mule!! HODOR!!!!!

One question, where did they say Rickon was? I missed that. And why are people saying he will be shipped off alone without Osha?

9. The only thing keeping it from being a 10 would be Cat's monologue, Shae's acting (although I like some of her dialogue), and them not explaining just how tight Ned/Howland were. The Reeds just kinda showed up and suddenly they're all hanging out.

I loved the dialogue they kept for QoT, but the delivery wasn't as spot-on as I imagined they would be in my head.

Margaery is playing the fucking game and I LOVE it.

Edited by Vis

1) She was already on her way out of the place with no one blocking her and the door. 2) I would expect there would be horses outside, although I didn't see anyone on horseback, so maybe not.

Either way, that's not really the point I was trying to make, just having her run away would have worked too. having her stand there looking scared makes no sense.

1. Seems extremely odd that the BWB wouldn't have any guards and lookouts outside. 2. Even if there were horses they would be tied up (takes time to tie up) and not have saddles fit for a little girl (she'd most likely just fall off). That's not even mentioning how much slower a little girl like her would run towards a horse compared to grown men fit for battle.

Why doesn't it make any sense? It's something that creates tension for the end of a scene. She's also not a complete idiot so she knows that she's screwed in this situation. They didn't stand a chance to get away from the BWB when they were hiding in the forest so why would she think anything different would happen now? And while she doesn't want anyone to know who she is, the BWB are pretty much the first people they've met that were kind, which makes it a complicated enough situation for Arya to freeze for a moment when trying to figure out what will happen. It made a lot more sense than what you suggested.

Edited by Tywin's bastard

1. Seems extremely odd that the BWB wouldn't have any guards and lookouts outside. 2. Even if there were horses they would be tied up (takes time to tie up) and not have saddles fit for a little girl (she'd most likely just fall off). That's not even mentioning how much slower a little girl like her would run towards a horse compared to grown men fit for battle.

Why doesn't it make any sense? It's something that creates tension for the end of a scene. She's also not a complete idiot so she knows that she's screwed in this situation. They didn't stand a chance to get away from the BWB when they were hiding in the forest so why would she think anything different would happen now? And while she doesn't want anyone to know who she is, the BWB are pretty much the first people they've met that were kind, which makes it a complicated enough situation for Arya to freeze for a moment when trying to figure out what will happen. It made a lot more sense than what you suggested.

I think you are missing the point of Arya just standing there when the Hound outs her for who she is instead of her making a run for it, which is something that Arya would do (and has done it the actually books). I also never said she would actually get away, but whatever. Far more ridiculous or unlikely things have happened in the books/show than a girl getting on a horse and riding away.

As an addendum to my previous post.

No one portrays the Queen of Thorns as well as Roy Dotrice does in the audiobooks. Even an actress as amazing as Diana Rigg, who did an excellent job and is perfect for the role, is not as good as Roy Dotrice in the audiobooks. Maybe they should have dressed him in drag for the role.

My not so humble opinion. Dotrice is a master.

I think you are missing the point of Arya just standing there when the Hound outs her for who she is instead of her making a run for it, which is something that Arya would do (and has done it the actually books). I also never said she would actually get away, but whatever. Far more ridiculous or unlikely things have happened in the books/show than a girl getting on a horse and riding away.

I think it's quite important to compare suggested scenarios when someone says that something doesn't make sense. It gives you a context of what that person thinks is probable.

As for her running despite no chance to succeed, that can still happen. The scene looked like that because it was supposed to end and it's much more dramatic to have that split second panic freeze image than to have someone run and you don't get to see what happens (or you do get to see what happens and have less to wonder about).

8 out of 10. Loved Bran's, Arya's and Margaery's scenes. (How can people not like TV-Marg? She's perfectly cast, and brings such intensity to the role.)

Cat's monologue was horrible, it's true, but I don't think it ruined the character. I has expected more from the Jaime/Brienne duel, but what can you do?

I voted 8/10 again, though I do think that this episode was slightly better than Episode 1.

The Good:

* The opening: I think this could be the greatest opening scene in the series yet. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I loved Jojen's introduction and the throwback to the pilot episode. Very well done.

* The Tyrells: Continue to be great. Diana Rigg and Natalie Dormer are doing an excellent job cementing the Tyrell's as fan favourites. My non-book friends love both of the characters.

* Michelle Fairley: A joy to watch. I actually enjoyed that monologue for what it was. It makes sense to the character of Show!Catelyn.

The Bad:

* Daniel Minahan: I am really disappointed with him as a director for the second week in a row. The action sequence was once again very poor. His shots during the second Theon scene was a complete mess. Is the man obsessed with mirrors? Almost all of the scenes in King's Landing included a character looking at themselves in the mirror! Clumsy and unimaginative.

* Shoehorned Characters: I felt like too many scenes in this episode were forced into the plot without purpose. Both of the scenes beyond the Wall were poorly executed, in my opinion. And we have that scene with Tyrion and Shae which may have a pay off but I wasn't a huge fan.

them not explaining just how tight Ned/Howland were. The Reeds just kinda showed up and suddenly they're all hanging out.

Well Jojen mentions that when he heard about Ned, Howland cried, the only time his son had seen him do so. I expect if we get a version of the KotLT story that will reinforce their friendship again, but I have no idea if D&D will cut it out.

Also the transition from "We have you at spearpoint" to "We are venturing off as friends" happened a bit suddenly as you mentioned. It was as if there was a scene in between that got cut, or that first scene was cut early.

I don't think she'd run away with Gendry and Hot Pie still captured... just my two cents.

I gave it 4. Pretty weak episode...Can't remember much of it tbh!

+Anguy, Hound, Joffrey is more interesting!

+Sansa/QOT/Margery scene(great acting on all parts)

+Jaime/Briene scenes were alright

Not bothered-

Thoros(not how I remember him, but I dod like Paul Kaye)

The Reeds(not a good intro, and did Jojen tell Bran he was the 3EC?...but theya are both very well cast imo)

-Cat, Mance, Jon, Tyrion, Shae, Tulisa

-Direction seems to have got a lot poorer this season imo.