How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

8.5/10

The Good

-QoT/Sansa/Margery

-Margery playing the game (really liking these invented scenes so far)

-Reed intro (could have use a bit more time to establish why they're there, but still good)

-Arya/BwB

-Jamie/Brienne (liked the fight, a brawl would have been better but w/e)

-Theon

The Meh

-Catelyn's speech (thought it was quite good until she says "everything bad that's happened to the Starks is the result of her not being able to love Jon", wtf?)

-Mance, Tormund (not bad but haven't grabbed me the way their book counterparts did)

-Robb (hopefully things start to happen in this storyline after the Tullys are introduced)

The Bad

-Shae scenes

8-The whole Cat thing was stupid unless they have something big planned around it later. Which could happen.

QOT was amazing. the way Marg acted so casual when Sansa confirmed Joff was a monster was a great bit of subtle acting, she's not sweating it.

The Breine and Jamie fight was very lame, have some real martial artist train these people if they are going to be some of the greatest fighters in Westros

Hate Talissa and the way the show is destroying Robb's character.

Theon scenes were good

Did anyone else catch Jojen's comment. "I SAW it" talking about the rebellion. Maybe Jojen seeing the rebellion and possibly the TOJ incident will give Bran and us some much needed info. Like J=R+L, how Howland saved Ned or if N+W=J. What do you guys think?

I just re-watched this episode. It baffles me that anyone could think EP 1 was better. I think some people are being too hard about the Jamie/Brienne sword fight. Lets all remember Jamie wasn't at full strength and he had manicles on. Also, it's not Brienne's intent to kill him. Yes, it could have been better, but it didn't suck IMO.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Very good episode, and better than the first, and I enjoyed the first. I enjoyed the Robb scenes, the Catelyn scene was strange though, as was the scene with Shae. I give it a 9.

I am excited about what they will do with Ramsay this season. I foudn Cat's monologue weird, but I did not hate it. To be honest I found it more realistic than book Cat's lack of remorse for a boy she watched grow up.

I loved Jojen and Meera, Thoros and Anguy. Great introduction for all of them.

I loved Olenna obviously.

I did not like Shae's scene with Tyrion but I guess I can see where they are taking her character now.

I also don't think Jack Gleeson is getting enough credit for this episode, but I guess that is because he is so natural in his role.

I didn't mind the sword fight scene, Jaime is clearly weaker and rustier from being a prisoner for months.

Edited by Cellio

I gave it a 7. I automatically deducted a point for no Dany. I understand that every character can't be in every episode, but still. She's my fave :smug:

Minus another point for Cat & Talisa's conversation. Unlike everyone else, I'm not complaining about what Cat said, or her apparent character assasination. I'm not trying to decipher her words, not trying to figure her out, not trying to see where D&D is taking this... I simply thought it was a very boring, very long conversation.

Minus one more for Shae, and the fact that such a brilliant actor like PD must share screen time with this woman.

Everyone hated on Brienne and Jaime's fight scene but I thought it was pretty good! Sure, it didn't end in the river, but fine. Remember that Brienne's intent was not to kill Jaime.

Loved the new characters-Reeds, Queen of Thorns, Orell and his eagle, Thoros, Anguy, etc..Orell warging was the most interesting thing to happen beyond the wall this episode and last.

Can't wait for the hunt for Reek next week!

I just re-watched this episode. It baffles me that anyone could think EP 1 was better. I think some people are being too hard about the Jamie/Brienne sword fight. Lets all remember Jamie wasn't at full strength and he had manicles on. Also, it's not Brienne's intent to kill him. Yes, it could have been better, but it didn't suck IMO.

But with Jamie's skill at arms is legendary in the books, he is seen as the best fighter in Westeros. Even in his depleted condition he gave Brienne a real run for her money in the books, and that scene is key to where they begin to develop some respect for each other. Brieanne gets a glimpse on how skilled Jamie is and it awes her, and Jamie begins to realize that Brienne is legitimate not just a wench with a sword but a legitimate fighter with skills worth respecting.

The show has done a pretty poor job depicting Jamie's skill at arms, and its essential to who his character is and who his character becomes.

I gave it a 7. I automatically deducted a point for no Dany. I understand that every character can't be in every episode, but still. She's my fave :smug:

Minus another point for Cat & Talisa's conversation. Unlike everyone else, I'm not complaining about what Cat said, or her apparent character assasination. I'm not trying to decipher her words, not trying to figure her out, not trying to see where D&D is taking this... I simply thought it was a very boring, very long conversation.

Minus one more for Shae, and the fact that such a brilliant actor like PD must share screen time with this woman.

Everyone hated on Brienne and Jaime's fight scene but I thought it was pretty good! Sure, it didn't end in the river, but fine. Remember that Brienne's intent was not to kill Jaime.

Loved the new characters-Reeds, Queen of Thorns, Orell and his eagle, Thoros, Anguy, etc..Orell warging was the most interesting thing to happen beyond the wall this episode and last.

Can't wait for the hunt for Reek next week!

Right, in the books Brienne's objective to stay alive against the best fighter on the continent. Not casually block his blows and beat him up like she did in the show.

Right, in the books Brienne's objective to stay alive against the best fighter on the continent. Not casually block his blows and beat him up like she did in the show.

I'm sure that if she fought him with the intent to kill him, the fight would have gone differently. Maybe it just wasn't one of the scenes I was peeing my pants to see is why I feel differently than everyone else. Then some of the scenes that I want to see, that I'm all WTF! everyone else is like whatever. Difference of opinion I guess!

After watching the show's version of the Jaime/Brienne fight and thinking it over some more, I've come to the conclusion that the book version was pretty unrealistic. No way Jaime can fight effectively while his hands are manacled together and he's been literally chained up for months. I don't care if you are the best swordsman of Westeros, if you've been chained up for that long you're going to be in horrible shape and have no stamina at all.

I gave it a 7/10, same as last week even though I liked it a tad less. It was overall decent but I guess it just wasn't really memorable enough. I didn't agree with everything in last week's episode but virtually all of it stuck out. Here, not so much. A lot of it felt like filler and just recapping what had already happened, I felt like there could have been more progression.

But mostly it was a good episode, I thought that the Bran and Arya scenes were perhaps the best. I'm enjoying Thoros immensely and seeing a lot of Tom O sevens in him.

8/10, I would say 8.5 if it were an option. I liked it somewhat better than the first episode of the season, and it's probably in my top six or seven of the series overall. Although, given that there's only been 22 episodes so far that's not saying much I suppose.

The scenes north of the wall weren't really necessary, but weren't bad either. At least we're reintroduced to Rast, who I believe will

be the main instigator of the mutiny at Craster's

Margaery continues to get better, she's playing Joffrey like a fiddle and Natalie Dormer is knocking it out of the park. I wasnt sold on her last season, but she has changed my mind for sure.

QoT was awesome, nuff said. Sansa was great in that scene as well.

Arya, Gendry, Hot Pie, and the BwB were fun scenes as well. I liked that they kept Thoros as a happy-go-lucky kind of guy. It will give his descent into depression more impact (if they keep that in the story) if we see him as a joyful guy beforehand. I also loved how Gendry said what all the fans were thinking, "you could have chosen three people to kill and you chose those guys?"

I didn't hate Catelyn's scene as much as I thought I might. Although Robb's stuff in general was nothing to write home about, neither great nor terrible.

I quite liked Bran and the Reeds scenes. I liked how Jojen was pretty straightforward with explanations of their various magical abilities, rather than the cryptic ways it was explained in the books. And obviously that is a great setup for some potential backstory, now lets see if they can take advantage of that.

Edited by rystine

After watching the show's version of the Jaime/Brienne fight and thinking it over some more, I've come to the conclusion that the book version was pretty unrealistic. No way Jaime can fight effectively while his hands are manacled together and he's been literally chained up for months. I don't care if you are the best swordsman of Westeros, if you've been chained up for that long you're going to be in horrible shape and have no stamina at all.

Which is exactly what happens in the show as well.... or am I missing something.

All in all, a great episode.

The introduction of the Reeds felt a bit out of the blue/unexplained compared to the books, but i'm glad they're finally a part of the series.

Is it just me or does the cgi of the direwolves look much better this season than last?

it feels a bit weird to see Theon again so soon after having to wait until ADwD in the books, but his scenes were excellent, and i'm glad they included it as Alfie Allen has been incredible as Theon so far.

Everyone seems to hate the Jon/Cat story, but I though it was kind of a refreshing add to Catelyn's character. I agree it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to book Cat, but i don;t think it takes anything away from TV Cat.

Paul Kaye as Thoros seems like a great addition so far. I always felt Thoros was a bit underused in the books and combining his character with Tom Seven Strings, and a bit of Lem seems to makes sense.

I really hope we get a lot more of the QOT in future episodes. Her scene with Sansa and Margarey seemed almost too short.

Tyrion/Shae scene was pretty awful. The only reason i can imagine it was even in the episode would be to maybe foreshadow some of shae's jealousy as a potential plot point to try and better explain some up her upcoming decisions.

Also, like most everyone else on this forum, I am not a huge fan of Talisa. Maybe we're not supposed to like her, but i kind of hate that i'm forced to agree with Rickard Karstark at all.

Finally, the fight scene. I keep reading about how people thought it was lame, and how they should have had fast paced lightsaber choerography, which is just silly. it was paced fairly slowly which i really liked and i thought a the choreography was pretty well done given the situation. i do wish they would have played up the fact that Jamie was the superior swordsman, and only lost due to being manacled/malnourished etc.

In any case, I'm looking forward to episode 3

I'm sure that if she fought him with the intent to kill him, the fight would have gone differently. Maybe it just wasn't one of the scenes I was peeing my pants to see is why I feel differently than everyone else. Then some of the scenes that I want to see, that I'm all WTF! everyone else is like whatever. Difference of opinion I guess!

I thought it was one of Jaime's coolest moments, being in his weakened state, expecting to run right through her, realizing "she's stronger than me" and going through the list of others in the realm who are also stronger, starting to respect her as a fighter.

I know we're not going to get all that in the show, but a decently competitive fight would have been nice.

Well Jojen mentions that when he heard about Ned, Howland cried, the only time his son had seen him do so. I expect if we get a version of the KotLT story that will reinforce their friendship again, but I have no idea if D&D will cut it out.

Also the transition from "We have you at spearpoint" to "We are venturing off as friends" happened a bit suddenly as you mentioned. It was as if there was a scene in between that got cut, or that first scene was cut early.

Hopefully their scenes aren't always rushed! They better include KotLT. You're right, that would reinforce the friendship.

I wish they had at least included the oath, or a version of it. But "ice and fire" isn't as big of a theme in the show as it is in the books, so I understand. Still, it would have explained why they're cool with the Reeds.

Edited by Vis

Finally watched it. Was pleasantly surprised in that I liked it. I gave it a 7, higher by 1 than the premiere.

No particularly memorable scenes in this ep, I did however like the Robb's scene with Karstark as they stood by the side of road watching their army march. I thought it was well acted, well executed, and the final Karstark line "I think you lost this war the day you married that woman" [cut to Talysa uncomfortable on horseback] was very well timed and delivered a hefty punch, as well as foreshadowing.

One thing that stands out about this ep however, and I believe in large part the reason why I liked it, is the smoothness of the transitions from storyline to storyline. They were so seamless, for the first time for some time on this show the transitions felt unobtrusive and completely natural.

Catelyn's monologue; Well acted, and moving, in fact my eyes teared up watching the scene, but still... I can not help but resent the continued mutilation of her character.

I can go no further without bidding welcome to the new GOT member, Ramsay! I was happy to see him.

Now, to what I didn't like:

The fight scene between Brienne and Jaime was dire. Further proof that this director really can't do action scenes.

The Cersie/Joff scene was awfully hammy.

The Margery/Joff scene again very hammy. Joff's portrayal in this ep verged on scenery chewing.

Didn't like the white pupils on the warg, I don't feel there's a need for such an obvious visual device. But this show was never known for its subtlety.

So, as a whole a very nice, if somewhat forgettable episode. Still better than the premiere, though.

Edited by Sun

I personally like this episode very much. Most scences are carried out brilightly and the transitions between scenses are very smooth. Many past episodes made me feel like watching a powerpoint presentation, but I have no problem with this episode

I agree with the smooth transition. As I mentioned in my post above, I think it's the stand out feature of this ep, and the main reason why I liked it.

Finally watched it. Was pleasantly surprised in that I liked it. I gave it a 7, higher by 1 than the premiere.

No particularly memorable scenes in this ep, I did however like the Robb's scene with Karstark as they stood by the side of road watching their army march. I thought it was well acted, well executed, and the final Karstark line "I think you lost this war the day you married that woman" [cut to Talysa uncomfortable on horseback] was very well timed and delivered a hefty punch, as well as foreshadowing.

One thing that stands out about this ep however, and I believe in large part the reason why I liked it, is the smoothness of the transitions from storyline to storyline. They were so seamless, for the first time for some time on this show the transitions felt unobtrusive and completely natural.

Catelyn's monologue; Well acted, and moving, in fact my eyes teared up watching the scene, but still... I can not help but resent the continued mutilation of her character.

I can go no further without bidding welcome to the new GOT member, Ramsay! I was happy to see him.

Now, to what I didn't like:

The fight scene between Brienne and Jaime was dire. Further proof that this director really can't do action scenes.

The Cersie/Joff scene was awfully hammy.

The Margery/Joff scene again very hammy. Joff's portrayal in this ep verged on scenery chewing.

Didn't like the white pupils on the warg, I don't feel there's a need for such an obvious visual device. But this show was never known for its subtlety.

So, as a whole a very nice, if somewhat forgettable episode. Still better than the premiere, though.

Great points, I agree with all of them.

To quote someone in another thread: "Damn this show really flows without Dany"

Edited by Lux in Tenebris