How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

8/10. Frigging' loved Thoros. Queen of Thorns was also very good as expected and I enjoyed the fight between Jaime and Brienne (although wish it had been longer). Liked Theon's scene too and Jojen brought a lot of charisma to his role. (a part of the books I don't find particularly interesting).

Was expecting Cat to be bad but ended up just being 'meh' about it. Overall, this was another episode of setup, and for what it was it did well.

I agree! Maybe it's just something about Thomas' face, I don't know, but he seemed to have this presence about him that was less somber than I imagined in the book. He kinda had some swag.

Really very happy with ep 2.

Loved the reeds (i adored that kid in love actually!), perfect casting.

Cat's scene was sad. i liked it even if it wasn't in the book.

Always love Arya. Maisie Williams is a gun.

Brianne and Jamie! Loved!

I was sad not to see Dany, but that's just building tension.

I agree! Maybe it's just something about Thomas' face, I don't know, but he seemed to have this presence about him that was less somber than I imagined in the book. He kinda had some swag.

I didn't really think about it, but Jojen swag is an improvement over Jojen bore. He's actually a bit annoying in the books, and as a result Bran's chapters end up a bit boring in general even though I do enjoy them. A charismatic Jojen will definitely lighten the mood of that journey and make it more interesting, at least just to watch his performance.

Telling the truth, I am a bit disappointed. It isn't a bad episode - not at all - but, it isn't excellent either. Simply, beside introducing new characters, it really hasn't much to offer; some very good moments, yes, but in this story and this show , "good" is not enough. I'm asking for at least one "WOW!" moment per episode, especially in this season to be fully satisfied.

New characters : QoT was excellent. Thoros - very good, really, but different from the books. I liked Thoros from the books, because he was a drunken priest who - ironically - found religion and some kind of "inner peace" (calmness) in war, like that some part of him died in battles; But here we have different Thoros, drunk, and more alive. It's not bad at all , it's simply different.

I really need to get rid of an image of "Books Marg" ; This isn't it. As simple as that. Natalie Dormer is very good, I think,but maybe too good : She is older and, more important , "stronger" (as a person) than "Books Marg". That alone changes the character totally.

And, I am disappointed with Jaime - Brienne fight. It was good, but it didn't show Jaime's skill. At this point, after more than two seasons , you need to read the books to find out that Jaime is a great swordsman - you would never guess that from the show. And it isn't right. It is significant trait of his character.

I apologize for any errors, I'm not a native speaker. I just hope that you could understand :drunk:

There were a lot of good scenes in this episode but it was dragged down by the horrible, and unforgivable, final degradation they inflicted on showCat. So 6/10. Sort of deserves 7/10 but I can't get over that 'I should have been Jon Snow's mum' scene.

However, the Sansa-Olenna-Marge scene was excellent. I really liked Bran's stuff and the introduction of the Reeds was fine. Arya scenes were also good.

I dislike showBrienne (I don't like bookBrienne either) and the fight really made Jaime out to be a bit useless, although I disagree about it being poorly done. I thought it looked fine.

Marge is growing on me and I quite liked her scene with Joff.

The beyond the wall scene was ok, Jon show was not given enough rope to hang himself with this week.

The Shae-Tyrion scene was very annoying. I am sick of Shae thinking she can get away with stabbing people or sorting out LF when there is no way she can get away with doing that.

But yea, the Cat scenes were an utter abomination.

Edited by Bran the Cute

Telling the truth, I am a bit disappointed. It isn't a bad episode - not at all - but, it isn't excellent either. Simply, beside introducing new characters, it really hasn't much to offer; some very good moments, yes, but in this story and this show , "good" is not enough. I'm asking for at least one "WOW!" moment per episode, especially in this season to be fully satisfied.

To be fair, aSoS doesn't get WOW until later. It's actually relatively slow moving in the beginning, and not in a bad way. But to really pull of the WOW they have to set some groundwork. There are a lot of WOW moments still to come.

Here is my review.

I gave it 7 out of 10

This was still an opening episode in the terms of it is introducing you to new characters. Good episode and I can't wait for the rest of the series!

Favourite scene was with Cat talking about Jon Snow. It actually moved me! :)

@DarkAndFullOfTurnips ( great nick, by the way :D )

Well, that's true.. Still...something is missing, I don't know how to explain that...some detail that makes one scene (any scene) really memorable.

To be fair, maybe I am expecting too much,

@DarkAndFullOfTurnips ( great nick, by the way :D )

Well, that's true.. Still...something is missing, I don't know how to explain that...some detail that makes one scene (any scene) really memorable.

To be fair, maybe I am expecting too much,

I think that in S1 at least, the episode endings in particular were more "OH SHIT" and that carried on for the most part in S2. There are of course some exceptions. But I think given the content they have to work with, the latter half of the season will all be OH SHIT moments, perhaps even as early as E03 or E04.

Gave another 9. Well, to be honest I gave it a 7...then had my mind changed by a solid rewatch.

First the bad.

Tyrion. Wait, Tyrion in the bad section? wtf? The set up of Shea the Funny Whore's downfall is boring and unnecessary. I don't care if the TV audience (who I normally back vs. the hardcore book nuts) need to know why she turns on her Little Lion. She's a shady whore who takes her best shot at keeping her head and moving on up when Tyrion's trial takes a turn for the worse. Simple as that.

Cat. Well, I guess that's one way to show her grief. This scene is what made me give the 7 the first time.

Thoros. Man...why are they combining Thoros and Lem? Thoros is somber, ashamed of his past actions and enthralled with his rebirth to the Red God. Lem is loud, often drunk and braggadocios. Which one did you see last night?

Alright, now the good.

The Reeds. I love the Reeds. Little Grandfather was perfect with a capital P.

My name is Reek. Reek, it rhymes with meek.

The Hound and the explanation on how he was captured.

I see a lot of hate on the Jamie/Brienne fight but I'm not sure why. Outside of the comical last lunge, it was "by the book." Jaime has been wasting away, is shackled, unarmored, and still held his end of the fight up for more than half of the rumble. Anyone hating just dislikes Brienne (and that makes you no friend of mine) and nothing done would have made you happy.

The way Gendry Needled (see what I did there?) Arya about her three kills. And the way Anguy got Hotpie to move.

I coulda used a little,"A bear, A BEAR! All black and brown and covered with hair!" but outside of that, the Queen convo was perfect. "He's a monster!"

All and all, a great episode. I can't wait for the season to kick into high gear if this is what we're going to get with the build.

Edited by Died a Hero

Pro:

- The "new" characters are all entertaining

- The Theon/Ramsey/Reek buildup seems promising

- The Margaery playing Joffery insight seems interesting

- Sansa scene with Olena was perfect

Con:

- Why is Thoros singing the reyens of castamere? I get you want it to be a recognizable song for the RW, but the significance of it in the RW is how out of place it is. When everyone in the whole damn show is singing Westeros number 1 hit (including supposed good guys who are not Stark threats) that cue dissapears.

- Shae

- Catlyn's Jon snow story. I remember how GRRM said he doesn't like fan-fiction.

- Jamies fight. Yeah he is rusty, but he looked as useless as Arya vs. Thoros. Shouldn't the point be to build up the weight his "loss" will carry?

Edited by Justin Danford

It's a catchy song, I imagine it's one that people belt out regardless of their allegiance. It is a good tune after all. Also, Tom o'Sevens sings it in the books just off the cuff, so that could be proof that it's a generic song sung by many. Having Thoros sing it also provides a little nod to small details for the book readers.

Whether something sucks though is a subjective thing, I mean I thought Jaime vs Brienne was pretty damn good. It should be spectacular if nothing else, it can't fail to be with a

flaming sword and of course Beric

. Even if it is merely average though it's hardly the be all and end all of the show, there are many more epic moments still to come!

The Hound

vs Beric

is (in my opinion) comparatively low on the list of things I'm most excited for in the TV series.

I'm more with you. I really had no complaints. I think this season has started nicely and now that everything is setup I expect the season to really start taking form next Sunday. I couldn't be more excited.

Loved and hated the episode. I enjoy all the lead ups, but not showing Daenerys's storyline is a killer for me, Those unsullied warriors are too cool, who need's nipples anyways. :eek:. I can't wait for next week, crossing my fingers and hoping to see more about ghost and the giants.

I didn't really think about it, but Jojen swag is an improvement over Jojen bore. He's actually a bit annoying in the books, and as a result Bran's chapters end up a bit boring in general even though I do enjoy them. A charismatic Jojen will definitely lighten the mood of that journey and make it more interesting, at least just to watch his performance.

And maybe his paste will taste better!

8/10

I didn't watch the Cat/Talisa scene because I knew what was coming and that I probably couldn't bear it.

Loved the QoT and Reed introductions. The marg/joff scene worked for me. As did the BWB and as an adaptation as a whole I loved it. I still wish Mance was different and wonder where Ghost is and why Jon doesn't know what a warg is... Other than that loved Brienne fighting Jaime. So excited for next week!

7/10! I loved it but I know the next episodes will only improve.

This adaptation is firing on all cylinders now.

Jojen and Thoros - > best improved characters from the books. I want to hang out with them!

The swordfight was the biggest letdown of the episode in my opinion. They really need to show Jaime's swordfighting capabilities. Now when he

loses his hand, it won't mean as much to viewers, particularly non-readers.

Edited by ebevan91

7/10 from me

Despite having so much going on, the ballance of it was good.

What I liked

- Dormer is absolutely killing it as Margaery Tyrell. Knowing what I know from the prior season and last week's episode, Dormer is just running away with what's been given her and although her character is supposed to be younger, she's able to play her younger and still be completely manipulative of Joffery in every scene

-Diana Rigg as Lady Olena is all kinds of win. True, I didn't get a certain character in her scene, that whole interaction between Lady Olena, Sansa and Margaery was about as good as I could have hoped for. Bravo.

- Thoros of Myr. The scene where the BWoB is introduced was pretty dead on. Kudos to whoever said, making Thoros the happy, drunk lover of the red god was a good choice.

What I did not like

- Robb is being set up as the loser too early. It must be remembered, that despite the setbacks with Winterfell, Robb never lost in the field, but then, I suppose not giving Lord Karstark the chance to gripe would ruin the foreshaowing of all the tragedy to further strike the Starks this season.

- Talisa's character comes off as extra baggage.

-Shae and Tyrion just didn't do it for me this time out. Of course we (book readers) all know where this is leading, but it just seems superfluous to me to have Tyrion and Shae banter back and forth on Tyrion's dalliances.

About that Cat Scene

- as a book reader it seems almost heretical to say, but I took Cat's whole monologue to be about accepting Jon Snow as her own, although perhaps not entirely legitimate son (although she used the phrase "one of us", the Starks raised Theon Greyjoy almost as one of them and yet none of us consider Theon to be a Stark, do we?)

- the scene was well acted and I am REALLY hoping the long knives aren't going to come out for Michele Fairley's portrayal

- I know D & D are trying to make the character more sympathetic for a reason. More often than not it's b/c Cat feels wronged by others. This whole scene was really about Cat admitting her failures to her family and there's something to be said about that.