How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Solid 8/10.

In the minority probably but I thought the Cat scene was excellent (although I agree the final line was a little confusing, but not impossible to contextualise). It was well acted, fitted the portrayal, explained a lot about the way she treated Jon, and sets up what's to come. I think Cat needed this scene.

The Shae/Tyrion scene was just a little dull.

Everything else was great. I wish everything on TV was this well written and acted.

Oh, and the Dire Wolves looked fantastic.

I realise it's not their style but HBO should think about a double opening episode for season 4. Episodes 1 and 2 back to back would have felt more satisfying.

HBO is dropping the ball big time with only 10 sub 60-min episodes. The first and last episodes should run 2 hours. That's all they would need to do but they won't because they are greedy.

HBO is dropping the ball big time with only 10 sub 60-min episodes. The first and last episodes should run 2 hours. That's all they would need to do but they won't because they are greedy.

I agree, I think they should do that or have 12 episodes per season, it would be good for most of the storylines.

I give this episode an 8, I liked it but some scenes (Tyrion/Shae and Marg/Joff) were too long and Cat's speech pissed me off a little.

Sword fighting scene was good. Not excellent , but good. On one hand, Jaime and Brienne are among the best sword fighters in the series and because of that, my expectations from that scene were very high; I'm sure that they (D & D) could done it better, and show us how really J and B are skilled. Especially Jaime.

On the other hand, I really don't want to see them as a couple of ninjas - fighting and bouncing around in the perfect harmony of moves - and I presume D & D didn't want that either; that's why they choose to have sword fight that doesn't look as awesome as it could . And OK.

But, I do think that they didn't represent Jaime as they should. Brienne just won too easily. For example , if Jaime had hit her just once,let's say

in the chest - but armor saved her - and after that she won - that would be much better, if you ask me. Because, both messages would be delivered : 1) That Jaime is very, very good at this, and 2) that she is equally good or better.

This way, they delivered just message number 2) , and Jaime looks like "all talking" men. And that's not fine with me.

Is it greed, though? I'm sure there's a lot that goes into it.

We get 10 episodes a season. We are lucky we do. They are as long as they are. No one is dropping the ball. The network is making what it makes with the budget it has. I'm so sick of all this HBO/writer/network bashing.

Gave it a 5. Imho:

1. Bran scenes were a strong point in this episode. His dream, and the Reeds were excellent. I liked Jojen a lot, even though he didnt have that much to say this time. Also Hodor perfect as usual.

2. Theon tortured. Well, what i expected basically, really nothing more/less could be done with this scene.

3. I liked the Joffrey-Cersei dialogue, shows how he's basically uncontrolable now, and foreshadows his confrontation with Tywin (at least for book readers). I didnt like his crossbow scene with Margaery. It felt idiotic to me, that king (even Joffrey) would brag before his wife-to-be about his new crossbow. Also Margaery explaining she was a virgin because Renly was gay.... Srsly why was that even there? That scene was so weird and out of character for those two, personally i would get rid of it. If you need Marg-Joff encounters, make them sound at least plausible.

4. Sansa dining with Tyrells. Well, Olenna's pretty kickass have to admit. This is a rare case when even though i imagined the character differently in the book, i totally dig this interpretation. Well played.

5. Infamous Cat scene. Well, i for one think it was well delivered. Should the scene be there at all? Well, it does change a bit the context of Jon's upbringing. As someone already said on this board, it makes the watcher feel like Cat was obliged to take Jon as one of his own, even though we know bastards are scorned it westeros. I dont think she shows even that much compassion for him to cry about how she "nearly killed him" so yeah, i feel like it makes unnecessary changes. But well, they're allowed to do that.

6. Beyond the wall. Well, D&D seem to keep with the theme that scenes beyond the wall are supposed to suck :D. Show fans still basically know nothing about Mance Rayder. I mean, seriously, the guy whose appearance is foreshadowed since season 1, and finally he arrives, gets to blurt 1 sentence per episode? Great.... Also the NW escape south seemed like a lazy march, no one seemed frightened/exhausted except Sir Piggy, and you didnt really feel like they were in a land of 8000 year old Frost Zombies. No thrill.

7. I didnt enjoy BWB scenes. Unfortunately this comes from many small flaws (in my eyes), and not a single huge one. For example when Arya asks who do they fight for, i was 100% sure they will say King Robert. That's an important characterization of BWB for me, that they identify themselves with a king whose death started the war that hurts smallfolk so much. Answering Arya's question with "The Brotherhood without Banners", well, any idiot should guess after a while that they are those outlaws Gregor was to hunt down, so why go with the obvious line :(? I also dont like how Thoros behaves like he's drunk all the time, i think his lines should be delivered totally differently. Finally i hated Sandor's appearance. There was such an anti-hype around it i felt it was ridiculous. Here one of them catches one of the most known 7-foot killer in the realm, and no one is surprised, the just sit around and drink, there should be like a sudden silence or sth, not just Thoros yelling "hehe we got a HOUND!!" and then everyone goes about their business.

8. Shae with Tyrion. Srsly why the fuck is a whore smack talking Tyrion for like 5 minutes because he mentioned Sansa is beautiful... Pretty idiotic for me.

Summary: The new actors are mostly a delight (especially Olenna and Jojen in this episode). That cant be said of the screenplay unfortunately. I liked the 1. episode better, though it had a lot of flaws as well. I feel like the 1. episode's weakest moments come from badly written character changes (like for example making Stannis imprison Davos, how is that consistent with him really). This episode is different, i just feel there are a lot of dialogues that are redundant, not because they change the book characters in an idiotic way, but because they were idiotic in general. Now bash me for giving it a 5.

Edited by WardenOfTheNerds

8. Shae with Tyrion. Srsly why the fuck is a whore smack talking Tyrion for like 5 minutes because he mentioned Sansa is beautiful... Pretty idiotic for me.

Wow, you are so out of tune with the movie. Go rewatch S2.

Wow, you are so out of tune with the movie. Go rewatch S2.

Wow, you are so constructive with your responses. Well how is it not retarded that we have to listen her whine about how he said another girl is pretty, even if she wasn't an ex-whore and even if she's actually in love with him in the show for whatever reason D&D decided to, that dialogue sounded pretty childish.

EDIT: also, wont rewatch S2 since it's not much better than season 3 really

Edited by WardenOfTheNerds

Wow, you are so constructive with your responses. Well how is it not retarded that we have to listen her whine about how he said another girl is pretty, even if she wasn't an ex-whore and even if she's actually in love with him in the show for whatever reason D&D decided to, that dialogue sounded pretty childish.

EDIT: also, wont rewatch S2 since it's not much better than season 3 really

The scene is genuine to their relationship, and it's one of the best relationships in the show. it's prbly the only honest relationship in the show.

When Tyrion nursed his cut from blackwater, Shae visited him. She begged him to elope with her and leave King's Landing.

They renewed their vows: I am yours and you are mine. It was one of the most touching scenes in the show.

Remember when she yelled at Tyrion: Your Father is 500 miles away, How will he hear us?!?!?

Or, when Tyrion rushed to hear chamber after receiving a scare from Cersei when she mistakenly beat up the wrong girl. Tyrion promissed to make Cersei pay when she least expects it.

There is genuine passion there, and I love their relationship.

^As i said, it's not the fact that they are in love in the show that bothers me (well ok it does, but we'll pretend it doesnt for argument's sake). I find the dialogue itself pointless, it's pretty obvious Tyrion just means Sansa is hot enough and highborn to get any husband they'll make her marry, and then Shae either enters a jealous rage or is teasing him, not even sure which.

t, and if they're going to make Robb look like a hapless idiot for the entire season they might as well do you know what right now and get it over with.

This right here. Its maddenning, just get it over with

He's just aa bad and getting worse than what they did to Jon Snow last yr.

Edited by Mulled Wino

Is it greed, though? I'm sure there's a lot that goes into it.

We get 10 episodes a season. We are lucky we do. They are as long as they are. No one is dropping the ball. The network is making what it makes with the budget it has. I'm so sick of all this HBO/writer/network bashing.

So we should just shut this forum down. Gotcha.

I loved this episode. I think various scenes were adapted well from the books, and the pacing seems good. Actually, it got to some storylines earlier than I expected (Arya/Sandor and Jaime/Brienne). I liked the bit with Olenna, Margaery and Sansa. Sansa's actress was marvellous in that scene. Jaime and Brienne's scenes were just marvellous, I really like how they captured the spirit of banter from the books. The conversation with Catelyn and what's-her-face about Jon Snow was also interesting, and I enjoyed seeing the Reeds, and the scene where Sam's about to give up, but Dolorous Edd and forgotten-his-name come back for him.

Only thing I didn't like was the constant "OH BY THE WAY, RENLY WAS GAY" comments. It wasn't very subtle, with the references to camp gays (is that even a stereotype in Westeros?) especially adding bits like Joffrey going "I'm thinking of making homosexuality a crime". There are already a multitude of reasons for hating Joffrey, we don't need to add attitudes to same-sex relationships that Westeros doesn't seem to have (they find it funny and weird, sure, but not AGH NO KILL THEM in the same way as medieval Europe).

^As i said, it's not the fact that they are in love in the show that bothers me (well ok it does, but we'll pretend it doesnt for argument's sake). I find the dialogue itself pointless, it's pretty obvious Tyrion just means Sansa is hot enough and highborn to get any husband they'll make her marry, and then Shae either enters a jealous rage or is teasing him, not even sure which.

Are you the same whiny poster from IMDb named 'WardenOfTheNorth?'