How would you rate episode 302?

Ran

How would you rate episode 302?  

673 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I liked the episode, but not quite as much as last week's; I rated it a solid 7.

What worked for me:

• Great introduction of the Queen of Thorns! Dianna Rigg is going to be awesome in this role. This scene made me appreciate Magaery more than I have up to this point as well.
  • Also a great introduction of Thorros, I didn't even mind that he appears to be absorbing the role of Tom O' Sevens. I predict that I am going to enjoy the show BWB as much as I did the book version. And of course, it's always great to see the Hound again.
  • I liked the Brienne vs. Jaime fight and didn't mind the switch up in circumstances from the book. Gwendolyn Cristie kicks ass as Brienne, she was really convincing as a powerful swordswoman.
  • I also enjoyed show Jojen a good deal more than book Jojen. Ferb is going to acquit himself well in this role.

What didn't work for me:

• The Cat and Talisa scene. I think that the writers/producers went astray in this attempt to woobify Cat. I also don't understand the outright hostility that show Cat is projecting towards Talisa; even book Cat doesn't hold Jeyne wholly responsible for Robb's decision to marry her, and is relatively kind to her.
  • Not thrilled with show Dolorous Edd telling Sam that they left him behind because he was fat and slow and they wanted to live -- even if true, book Edd would have expressed himself in a kinder or at least a much more humorous way.
  • What's with Rickon's just running off like that, why would they let him, and why would Summer leave Bran? I don't think that the show is at all accurately or effectively depicting the nature of the bond between the Starks (and Jon Snow) and their direwolves.

Everything else I was either neutral on or waiting to see more of before I form an opinion on . Boy, the Producers sure weren't kidding when they said that Season 3 would be much more divergent from the books than the previous two seasons. It remains to be seen if they will stay true to the spirit of the characters and major story lines or not.

I agree with a lot of what you have written, but it seems like lots of people think that Rickon ran off for good??? With Summer??? I didn't get that impression at all. He just ran down a hill, and Bran sent Summer to watch out for him. I am sure we will see Rickon and Osha go off together soon, now that the Reeds are here. They are awesome.

I also don't get that Ghost is with the Men of the NIghts watch. What the heck is that about? Ghost was with Jon. I don't mind changes to make things go better, but having a hard time understanding some of the deviations we saw last week. As some one else said, " There is a lot of material, why invent stuff?"

The Good:

-Direwolves at the top of the list! The aggressive Summer moments were EXCELLENT! Shaggy was stunning looking.

--Every line Jojen said- excellent actor choice. I think he is my favorite actor now in the entire cast.

-Bran and Rickin waking simultaneously and looking at each other was very cool

-Sansa and Queen of Throns whole scene was perfect- Sansa especially

-Arya and her "Pack" bickering about her 3 choices. Gendry's flippancy was great.

-"Tarly, I forbid you to die"

-Karstark with Robb

The Bad:

-No solemn Reed oath was said to Bran

-Joffreys scene with Cersei about clothing and Marg

-Jaime and Brienne's fight scene was slow. Their walking scenes were pretty arduous to watch.

-Robb and Talisa's stinking barberian scene

-Cat's scene about Jon

-Tyrion and Shae

-Arya being 100% inept with a sword and acting all a tremble. Where is our little spitfire?

The Boring:

-Mance and Jon scene

-Thoros's unburning sword

-Joff's crossbow scene

-The Bran and Rickon are "missing" scene with Cat and Robb.

guys.... who else thinks that shae is getting way too many lines!!!.is she bedding the producers of the show???. the episode was only ok. the third book is my favorite. .. full of story lines and really amazing scenes but the show has not really capture most of it.... I was eager to meet the brave comp. well its early to tell but I hope the quality of executing the main story lines improve.

So far I am not enjoying this season as much as the first two. I can understand that they need to change a lot of things to adapt the novels to a ten hour TV season, but some of the deviations seem unnecessary and fundamentally change characters or plot lines. At this rate of deviation, the entire series could end up being radically different from the books. Perhaps more importantly, most of the scenes they do include do not live up to the potential of the material. The worst thing to me is that there are so many things they could remain more faithful on if they just allowed a small amount of set up ahead of time, but instead they have to have invented tit scenes. Thus, they are always springing things into the story unannounced which diminishes the subtle relationships in the books and makes many things seem very clumsy.

For clarification, the things that I dislike most are the differences in the mechanics or behaviors of the world. Things like the powers of R'hllor worshipers, clairvoyance and skinchanging are crucial details that are barely glazed over or totally changed in the TV series.

Ironically, the things that I liked most in this episode were the invented scenes (other than the horrible Shae\Tyrion scene and Catelyn's descent into simpering idiocy) and the things that continue to disappoint me are how the original scenes and plot lines are being interpreted.

Here are things that I am disappointed about:

• The total change in characterization of Beric's outlaws. In the books they are like pious Merry Men when they first meet Arya, with Thoros being a reformed or 'born again' priest in the service of R'hllor. I can't remember if they have mentioned Beric's 'special properties' yet, but his relationship to Thoros and his somewhat unique condition are both extremely remarkable things that serve to validate the actions of R'hllor worshipers and serve as an important pivot point in the story. Plus, the self-perceived righteousness and religious tendencies of the outlaws are most of their motivation and set the stage for their darker turn further on.
  • The Sansa arc seems to be very sloppy and convoluted. Shae and Tyrion don't need to be involved at all at this point, and using Baelish up front removes a lot of suspense and a chance for a good reveal later on. It also makes him appear much, much less cunning and forces an extra level of complexity because now we have to openly watch his plan come into place. Shae's involvement is unnecessary and ham fisted, as is Ros' entire existence.
  • The handling of Bran's and Jon's stories and their included elements of skinchanging and visions is pretty iffy. It's a little early to tell at this point, but the fact that Osha and Rickon are still present, Reed implies that the Three Eyed Crow is not a distinct thing, and that the other Stark children haven't experienced their abilities all makes drastic variation seem more likely in the future. This is really one of those things that could have been so easy to do but they just didn't. How hard would it have been to show a couple of minutes of extra exposition on skinchanging? Even having Jon kill Orell wouldn't have been difficult, and having a rogue eagle with a person trapped inside is a really cool detail. Also, Sixskins was a much cooler character than Orell seems to be so far.
  • Catelyn, Robb and Robb's wife (?) are god awful. They don't think that Bran and Rickon are dead, which was supposed to be the motivation for much of what they do (including, ultimately, Robb's marriage). Catelyn is less a stern, bitter and tired matriarch and more a simpering, superstitious idiot, and her motivations are entirely different.
  • I'm also pretty disappointed that there will be no Goat.
  • Like the Fist of the First Men, the fight between Brienne and Jaime was extremely anticlimactic and a hugely wasted opportunity.

Here are things that I liked:

• I think that the Marg\Joff scene was very well done and fleshes out each character in a way that the book couldn't have done because of POV. Joff's actor is excellent and I really like Marg's as well. Overall, this was my favorite scene this episode.
  • I think the Queen of Thorns was well introduced, though I wish she were more of a ham.
  • The Reeds were well cast even though the plotline they are a part of is miles off at this point.
  • I think that, aside from making Thoros and the Brotherhood completely unlike their book versions, they did a good job of condensing Arya's story by bringing in the Hound early and cutting out so much of the traveling.
  • The banter between Brienne and Jaime was well done even if it was out of character from their book versions and the resulting fight was totally lackluster.

The Bad:

-Jaime and Brienne's fight scene was slow. Their walking scenes were pretty arduous to watch.

-Arya being 100% inept with a sword and acting all a tremble. Where is our little spitfire?

The Boring:

-Thoros's unburning sword

I suppose that you didnt like any of the back and forth between J and B then?

You expect a little girl to do a well against a hardened champion fighter? With an unfamiliar sword she hasnt trained with?

Why would Thoros's sword be on fire???

I gave it a six. Like episode 301, 302 was very slow. However, 301 had two great scenes, Tywin's answer to Tyrion asserting his rights to Casterly Rock and Dany negotiating with Kraznys for the Unsullied. The only really memorable scene for me in this episode was the introduction of Olenna Tyrell. Also, I hate, hate, hate the Cat scene in this episode. One of the worst changes they made to the books.

The fight between Jaime and Brenie wasn't convincing at all. I mean, they spend so much money on effects, actors and accessories, but can't make a proper duel scene. Except this, even after I read all books, I liked everything including Bolton's domination over everything in the episode.

I thought the Cat scene was fine. If you look at it from the point of view of someone who hasn't read the books, it's quite a nice story. I understand that there is absolutely no obligation for Cat to be motherly towards Jon but I don't see how anything she said completely changes her character. She hated Jon's existence so she prayed for him to be dead. When it looks like he's going to die, she felt guilty and makes a lot of promises to her Gods that she couldn't keep. She knows that Jon does not deserve to be treated the way she treats him but did it anyway only because she's reminded of her husbands infidelity. I'll admit that the whole Gods' wrath thing was unnecessary but I don't see any problem with the story per se

The fight between Jaime and Brenie wasn't convincing at all. I mean, they spend so much money on effects, actors and accessories, but can't make a proper duel scene. Except this, even after I read all books, I liked everything including Bolton's domination over everything in the episode.

Well I knew that they had only so much time blocked out for each scene and it seemed to go on for about the length that episode could budget.

In the book it was kind of engaging, because even in chains Jamie got the best of Brienne for a long time until he realized he could not wear her down and then she rallied and got the best of him ... well Jamie was surprised. (In fact I got the impression even without chains and in the best of condition , in the book, Jamie had unexpectedly met his match.)

In the thick of the battle several time Brienne might have killed Jamie, I don't think she wanted that!

As I said I didn't think the sword play was lame, but had heard that Gwen has practiced for weeks and she and Nikolaj had rehearsed it for about a week. Like I said I have no real complaints but expected a little more imagination in that scene.

In the book it was an important chemistry dynamic between the two.

Lord , we have drawings of long sword fighting, but I can never figure out how it really came off.

I agree with a lot of what you have written, but it seems like lots of people think that Rickon ran off for good??? With Summer??? I didn't get that impression at all. He just ran down a hill, and Bran sent Summer to watch out for him. I am sure we will see Rickon and Osha go off together soon, now that the Reeds are here. They are awesome.

I didn't really express myself too clearly on this point. I also don't think that Rickon has run off "forever," but it seems to me that the Reeds, well Jojen at any rate, were in the books very, very cautious regarding not meeting up with anyone who could later disclose the fact that the Stark boys were still alive, so it seems peculiar that they would just let little Rickon arbitrarily run off by himself. Of course in the books, Rickon and Osha didn't travel with the Reeds, Hodor and Bran, and we have no idea how stealthy their approach was to traveling in the North, but I still find it hard to believe that even Osha would allow Rickon free reign to wander off alone.

Also, I'm assuming that Summer went with Rickon and Shaggydog in order for Bran to be able to watch out for Rickon via Summer, but it still strikes me as somewhat of a false note. The books did a very good job of depicting how deep, unique, and mystical the bond was between each Stark and their direwolf. I don't think that the non-book-reading viewer is able to get any sense of the true nature of this bond thus far in the show, and I feel that this is too important a point to be glossed over. My non-book-reading husband, for example thinks of the direwolves almost as pet dogs at this juncture.

I gave it a 7, about the same level as 3x01.

Felt the pacing was a bit off at the start of the episode, a bit too much jumping around while not much was really happening.

Liked:

-Pretty much all the new characters are cast perfectly

-Hodor

-Gendry & Arya arguing about the three deaths

-Tyrells

-Brotherhood without banners

Didn't like:

-Tyrion & Shae. Felt pointless and the acting was kind of off, even with the Dink.

-Catelyn & Talisa scene I just did not care about, not that I cared much about Cat in the books either.

-Jaime & Brienne duel, was over too fast and Bri won too easily. Didn't bother me _as_ much when I watched the scene again, though.

A solid 8/10, it was great to see all the characters + have setup for stuff later, but the episode skipped around a lot.

Liked:

+ Jaime and Brienne, amazing.

+ Brotherhood Without Banners, very charismatic.

+ Tyrell ladies knocking it out of the park.

+ Theon being pitiful as all hell, really feelin' for the guy.

+ Jojen and Meera own.

Didn't:

- Shae is a likeable character but her acting is so awkward.

- Disappointed in theory in no Brave Companions but I'm jumping the gun here, replacements could be fine.

- No awesome oath from the Reeds.

- Still not feeling the casting for Mance, we'll see.

By and large, I loved it. I was disappointed with the first episode in Season 3, decided part of it was that I wanted to see the action with Arya, Jaime and Brienne. Love the casting for Jojen (so glad he's not just a dreaming 'wimp') and for Meera, think they're great.

The one thing that caused me to give it a 9 instead of a 10 was Catelyn's speech about sitting up with Jon when he was a baby. What? While I was listening to it, (with only my cats for witnesses), I followed each one of her statements with a loud, "Sure you did", "Sure you did". Closest I have ever come to shaking my fist at the TV. Cheez!

How do people give this episode a 1 (or 2 or 3)? Seriously, this is season 3 and it's far from the worst episode ever. If you hated this episode then you must loath the series in general, so why are you still watching? Is it just so you can come here and give the show crap scores? You folk should be in the "Who stopped watching the TV series" threads.

How do people give this episode a 1 (or 2 or 3)? Seriously, this is season 3 and it's far from the worst episode ever. If you hated this episode then you must loath the series in general, so why are you still watching? Is it just so you can come here and give the show crap scores? You folk should be in the "Who stopped watching the TV series" threads.

If it makes you feel better, at least it's a small minority. There are people who still post "Why do they keep changing stuff?!" every day as if eventually the writers will change their minds and start basically transcribing the books verbatim to television.

I felt that Sandor Arya scene was out of character for Sandor. It gave me a whoa moment, WTF.

Sandor is nice to Sansa. At blackwater Sandor tells Joffrey and Tyrion: fack the King, fack the Kingsguard!. Goes to Sansa's chamber and offers to take her north to Winterfell, calls her little bird.

Then in this episode, he spots Arya and says: What in hell are you doing with the Starks bitch?!? And he's in the rebel north territory where he is trying to defect.

WTF!

Whoever wrote that line is an idiot.

Edited by Hoo

I give the episode a 6.

WHERE WAS DANY IN THIS EPISODE?? I was waiting for the slaver's slaughter.

I'm glad they FINALLY introduce the Reeds and REEK....I love to hate Ramsey Snow. I'm guessing they are using that random guy to sub for kiera(sp) to trick Theon to escape then castrate him( muah hahaha), and I'm kinda ok with that.

Nothing else stood out as OMG so yeah I give it a 6.

I thought it was pretty good but the premiere was better for me.

Highlights are Olenna Tyrell , Jaime and Thoros of Myr

I don't know what to make of the Cat/Jon scene. It didn't bother me that much but it felt rather bizarre. And to tell it to Talisa of all people!

Edited by Tears of Winter

HBO is dropping the ball big time with only 10 sub 60-min episodes. The first and last episodes should run 2 hours. That's all they would need to do but they won't because they are greedy.

They aren't doing more episodes (a couple of 2 hour episodes is basically 2 more episodes) because they can't shoot more than they do and maintain the same quality since they barely have time for what they are doing (plus that it of course costs more). D&D have explained several times that they would like to do more but that it's just not possible.

I don't have a clue what you mean by greedy. GoT is the most expensive show on TV and they could certainly have gotten away with spending less.