Ancestral Valyrian Swords(or Blades)

I would also love to know more about them and their history. Also I would love to hear/see something about different kinds of valyrian steel weapons, War hammers/Axes maybe? Also Valyrian armour?

We know that Heartsbane, Ice, and Longclaw had been in their respective families between 400 and 500 years. It would be nice to know how the weapons were aquired - Were they won in battle or did someone travel to Valyria to have the sword forged, etc? Caggo had a Valyrian steel arakh.

There was definitely trade along the Narrow Sea between Westeros and Essos. Places like the Stormlands, Dorne and the Crownlands were trading with Pentos, Tyrosh and Lys back when those cities were still Valyrian colonies.

So Valyrian Steel swords could easily get into Westeros through one of these places and then through various internal Westerosi trades eventually make their way to the North and so the Starks could gain a Valyrian Steel sword without ever directly trading with Valyria. This is how the Silk Road worked in real life, there was no direct European/Chinese trade but rather goods were passed along the Silk Road and eventually made it from one end to the other.

I believe most came from valyria after the doom and were distrubuted to other houses so each one could have a sword to ward off the others.

The Tarlys' sword, Heartsbane, was 500 years-old according to Cat, 100 years before the Doom.

• 2 weeks later...

A complete list of all the valyrian swords and their owners would be cool!

Ran, if you read this, any chance for a contest on the forums to name valyrian swords with the best ideas being integrated in the World Book?

... I am just dreaming :unsure:

The "Game of Thrones" mod for the PC game "Crusader Kings II" has regular contests where the winners get to name a Valyrian sword or a kinghtly house of their choosing ... they have a sub-forum over at the forum of the Paradox Interactive company who made the game.

The "Game of Thrones" mod for the PC game "Crusader Kings II" has regular contests where the winners get to name a Valyrian sword or a kinghtly house of their choosing ... they have a sub-forum over at the forum of the Paradox Interactive company who made the game.

Thanks, that's cool!

Would be even cooler to make it canon ;)

Thanks, that's cool!

Would be even cooler to make it canon ;)

I don't think the mod-makers are that well connected to GRRM and his "inner circle". ;)

But the mod is really great. If you are into grand strategy games then you likely know Paradox Interactive's games already - if you don't check them out. The mod itself has a homepage http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

There are ASOIAF mods for many PC games but the one for Crusader Kings II is in my view the best. CK II lends itself very well to a character-focused world such as the one GRRM created, and even encourages amoral, double-faced dealing with your liege lord(s) just as we know it from the books.

I don't think the mod-makers are that well connected to GRRM and his "inner circle". ;)

But the mod is really great. If you are into grand strategy games then you likely know Paradox Interactive's games already - if you don't check them out. The mod itself has a homepage http://www.moddb.com...thrones-ck2agot

There are ASOIAF mods for many PC games but the one for Crusader Kings II is in my view the best. CK II lends itself very well to a character-focused world such as the one GRRM created, and even encourages amoral, double-faced dealing with your liege lord(s) just as we know it from the books.

Yes, I already played CK2 and the Mod, but I did not know that they decided to fill in the gaps by organizing contests! That is a brilliant idea. If I have the time I might try to write an AAR on my campaign. Did so already, but reluctantly and not in the professional way an ARR should be.

Absolutely, the dynastic system of CK2 fits very well in GRRM's world! I hope the Modders will include the Old Gods DLC to make the raids of the Ironborn more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I missed that Ice was 400 years old. Now it makes me even more furious that Tywin melted it down. :devil:

It totally pissed me off too and the cheek to decorate it in lannister crimson on the blade,grr hate lannisters, king in the north

Archived