Who deserves the Iron Throne the most

The Black Hawk

Do you think sitting the Iron Throne is a reward for having collected enough bonus points for good deeds? I guess neither within the books' world nor on a meta level in the author's eyes "deserving" the Iron Throne is a relevant criterion.

The responsibility for fighting starvation, food price speculation, lack of workforce, infectious diseases, draught or floods, caring for homeless orphans and traumatised soldiers is something only a fool would see as prize to win for being a good guy or girl. And that would present him or her as totally incompetent and not aware of the enormity of the task.

Someone humbled by life and aware of his or her sins and blemishes would be the right person, someone who knows how committing errors feels.

:agree:

Only one I can think of is... Davos?

Hopefully the Iron Throne won't exist by the end of the series, but so far i'd say either Stannis or Mance Rayder. Stannis doesn't want it (always a good sign) and is skeptical and harsh enough not to let any Cersei antics go down. On the other hand, Mance is as clever as Stannis but has a whole lot of leadership skills.

Stannis does not want it.

I wonder if there's anything, outside Stannis' own verbal declaration, to support the impression that he doesn't want the throne? Seriously, my impression of him is exactly the opposite of yours: he craves it more than anything else in his entire life, he has since we met him in the prologue of ACOK, and hasn't stopped as far as the gift chapter of TWOW. I've noticed that he says otherwise, but people in the books say the darnedest things.

Someone who haven't killed their family member or unjustly and cruelly thrust the realm and innocent people into a war for that crown.

That crown deserves a ruler who haven't heartlessly crippled the realm in their selfish misplaced idea that they deserve to sit that ugly crown

I say Danny

I wonder if there's anything, outside Stannis' own verbal declaration, to support the impression that he doesn't want the throne? Seriously, my impression of him is exactly the opposite of yours: he craves it more than anything else in his entire life, he has since we met him in the prologue of ACOK, and hasn't stopped as far as the gift chapter of TWOW. I've noticed that he says otherwise, but people in the books say the darnedest things.

He wants the right thing and the right thing is him on the Iron Throne. If he finds out that someone else has better claim, then (I believe) he will give it to him/her.

The question is a strange one. It is not exactly a very nice thing to have. It is not a gift you get.

Yes, you are King/Queen, you are rich, have security in your home, food and drink but you also have to worry about all of your Kingdoms, the smallfolk, the land, food, enemies ect.

Someone who haven't killed their family member or unjustly and cruelly thrust the realm and innocent people into a war for that crown.

That crown deserves a ruler who haven't heartlessly crippled the realm in their selfish misplaced idea that they deserve to sit that ugly crown

I say Danny

No, she just let her husband kill her brother for her, she crippled Slaver's Bay rather than Westeros and I can't think of anyone who think they deserve the realm more than Dany.

There is one true king and his name is Stannis.

Do you think sitting the Iron Throne is a reward for having collected enough bonus points for good deeds? I guess neither within the books' world nor on a meta level in the author's eyes "deserving" the Iron Throne is a relevant criterion.

The responsibility for fighting starvation, food price speculation, lack of workforce, infectious diseases, draught or floods, caring for homeless orphans and traumatised soldiers is something only a fool would see as prize to win for being a good guy or girl. And that would present him or her as totally incompetent and not aware of the enormity of the task.

Someone humbled by life and aware of his or her sins and blemishes would be the right person, someone who knows how committing errors feels.

this so much!

i agree with this completely. as the great will penned himself, "methinks he doth protest too much." i saw a post a few days ago that said stannis wants desperately to WIN the iron throne not to have the throne. i think this is indeed the case. winning the throne overcomes all the slights, insecurities and pain he's suffered throughout his lifetime and he believes (incorrectly) will make him finally feel accepted and good about himself. which makes him correct when he states he doesn't want the throne but that it's owed to him.

to answer the op, i don't think any of the characters we've met DESERVES the throne (i'm not even sure i want the iron throne to exist) but there are a few i can see living up to it's responsibility with honor, strength and grace. my pick for the throne would be jon or davos.

Someone who doesn't want it.

Agreed. UnCat. Or Jon. I could go for Jon. Seriously, though, this is wise.

Shireen, Rickon, and Tommen as those kids deserve an happy ending.

If you want them to have happy endings, best keep them away from iron chairs and red castles.

I say Danny

I see what you did there.

Archived