Who deserves the Iron Throne the most

The Black Hawk

lol@ people ignoring everything in the text and practically writing their own fan fic of a Stannis that desires the iron throne out of selfish reasons. Seriously people fan fic is banned on this site, grrm does not like it and I agree with him on this. Go write your own series if you disagree with the way he portrays Stannis.

So you're saying that any interpretation of the character that is the way you see it is wrong? I like Tywin and defend him but i accept the views of other and don't call them wrong. A book is different for every reader and there is no wrong interpretation. The way i see it if Stannis truly cared for the realm he would have joined Renly - he would have sacrificed his right and with Renly king he would be the second most powerful lord (behind Mace Tyrell), then he can marshall armies, lead expeditions and defend the realm from the Others. The notion that he will NEVER not follow the law is wrong - when Davos shipped off Edric he deserved death by the law and Stannis was going to administed it, but changed him mind - if he did the same with Renly it would be good for all.

Edit: There is more to being king that following justice and having good intentions - Westeros as a country is decentralized so much that a king can never rule without the support of the lords, Renly can get that support, Stannis can't - in the end Renly might issue 1 just decree for every 20 Stannis issues but Renly's are going to be obeyed from Dorne to the Wall while Stannis will have trouble enforcing them outside King's Landing. The notion of "we'll make new lords" is ridiculous - every lord has established controll over generations and the mass change of lords will lead to rebelions from all the other lords who would rather kill Stannis than be next and peaseants who dislike the change of the status quo.

People that believe Renly would be a good king needs to reread aCoK

And people who believe that Stannis would be a good king should do a retread of ASOIAF

Joking!!! :-) I don't even know if you're a Stannis fan so I Kidd

Anyways I don't care if Stannis would make a great king I think at the end of the day he's in the same boat as the Lannisters/Greyjoys/Tyrells etc....... who will do anything to get the crown he's better than many contenders for that throne but he's certainly had his moments when what he has done and willing to do is questioned on will he make a great king

Stannis. Though I don't know how good of a king he would be. He's just, true, and he's an honourable man. However, I believe he'd reform the kingdom, perhaps not for the worse granted, but too fast. I remember reading somewhere in the book where it was stated that Stannis urged Robert to close the brothels. Would he do that if he becomes king? I daresay so. he would also make R'hollor the only deity in Kings Landing (Westeros perhaps?).

His rule would be just, honourable and perhaps even prosperous....but he wouldn't be liked by the people.

Stannis. Though I don't know how good of a king he would be. He's just, true, and he's an honourable man. However, I believe he'd reform the kingdom, perhaps not for the worse granted, but too fast. I remember reading somewhere in the book where it was stated that Stannis urged Robert to close the brothels. Would he do that if he becomes king? I daresay so. he would also make R'hollor the only deity in Kings Landing (Westeros perhaps?).

His rule would be just, honourable and perhaps even prosperous....but he wouldn't be liked by the people.

Wow, first time you gave him any credit Robert.

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

So you're saying that any interpretation of the character that is the way you see it is wrong? I like Tywin and defend him but i accept the views of other and don't call them wrong. A book is different for every reader and there is no wrong interpretation. The way i see it if Stannis truly cared for the realm he would have joined Renly - he would have sacrificed his right and with Renly king he would be the second most powerful lord (behind Mace Tyrell), then he can marshall armies, lead expeditions and defend the realm from the Others. The notion that he will NEVER not follow the law is wrong - when Davos shipped off Edric he deserved death by the law and Stannis was going to administed it, but changed him mind - if he did the same with Renly it would be good for all.

Edit: There is more to being king that following justice and having good intentions - Westeros as a country is decentralized so much that a king can never rule without the support of the lords, Renly can get that support, Stannis can't - in the end Renly might issue 1 just decree for every 20 Stannis issues but Renly's are going to be obeyed from Dorne to the Wall while Stannis will have trouble enforcing them outside King's Landing. The notion of "we'll make new lords" is ridiculous - every lord has established controll over generations and the mass change of lords will lead to rebelions from all the other lords who would rather kill Stannis than be next and peaseants who dislike the change of the status quo.

Like tywin says in the show, its not an opinion, its a fact that Stannis does not want the throne for the wrong reasons, he wants it because it is his by law and without law there can be nothing but chaos and anarchy. Law is what separates humans from animals.

The real question or statement is, Does the kingdoms and people of Westeros deserve the Iron Throne to rule them all? I say no, heat and pull apart that Abomination of a Throne and scatter the swords. Go back to the old Kingdoms and set up a council similar to The Un for diplomatic purposes regarding trade and mutual security similar to the European "balance of power" approach leading up to our World's INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION.

No one ever deserves a throne. But if I had to choose among the current contenders, I 'd pick Stannis. Only because the realm deserves someone like Davos to be the Hand of the King.

Agree, Stannis is my first choice only if Davos is his hand

otherwise Jon is just as good to be King

Who deserves the Iron Throne the most?

Smallfolk, commoners, all the people who have suffered because the high lords are playing their games.

Well ... what do we mean by deserves?

The role of the king is to prevent wars, protect the realm from hostile invasions and administer justice. To do this he (or she) needs to be feared but also be capable of inspiring loyalty and/or satisfying the interests and ambitions of his nobles. He needs to be talented in war and hardworking but also needs to possess a shrewd understanding of political realities and be prepared to cut some messy compromises on occasion.

So, on that measure: Tywin Lannister (think William I of England, or Henry I. Both good monarchs with some similarities to Tywin)

Renly is not as talented or as intelligent but if we factor in the facts surrounding his bid for power he would have made the best king. He united the Reach and the Stormlands and he was unobjectionable in all the other kingdoms saving the westerlands. If Robb hadn't declared independence Renly would have been a good man to back as someone who could restore peace and defeat the lannisters. Renly is likeable, reasonably clever, and not afraid to take some unpleasant actions.

Stannis is too divisive and lacked support, while Jon is unlikely to be suited to sitting the iron throne (he would make a good lord of Winterfell).

The one I root for, and want to see win, is of course Stannis, but unlike some of his other fans I don't believe he would make the best king in a 'what is best for the common good' sort of way although he wouldn't necessarily be bad.

If we mean deserve in the sense of who, personally, is very able, while also being just and morally upright then Jon Snow would be most deserving when he gets to be a little older.

So

1. Tywin on the basis of being most suited to exercise the kingship.

1. Renly on the basis that, in the circumstances of CoK, he was probably in the best position to fulfill the role of the king successfully.

1. Jon if moral integrity coupled with ability deserves stuff.

I'd put my vote down for either Jon or Dany, but watch George Martin screw everyone over and put some random guy no one ever thought of on thw Iron Throne, like Hodor.....

he has said it will be someone no one expects. make of that what you will.

Like tywin says in the show, its not an opinion, its a fact that Stannis does not want the throne for the wrong reasons, he wants it because it is his by law and without law there can be nothing but chaos and anarchy. Law is what separates humans from animals.

but i thought stannis didn't want the throne.

No one ever deserves a throne.

of course stannis deserves the throne. look how much he has done to get it. in fact, there is truly nothing stannis will NOT do to win the throne. "to the bitter end. and then some." these words will definitely come to pass for stannis. it is known.

Stannis of course, side note does anyone else think Stan looks younger in the new season

Yes Stannis deserves it for a little while. And yeah he does look younger in the new season. That episode was so freakin good!

If Jon or Dany get the throne it won't be til the end because they are the heroes and one of them will be the final person on the throne when the books end. I think there will be a few more ppl in between now and then.

Archived