[Book Spoilers] EP301 Discussion

Ran

Book spoiler discussion of the show goes here, for those who want to discuss the episode in relation to the books, and with reference to spoilers from them.

This topic should open automatically around the start of airing.

Great episode. Obviously there was some changes, but it got to the heart of where the characters are at this point in their story. I liked how they introduced Barristan and skipped the Artsan storyline. It was too obvious for show watchers who he was, no need to add more character confusion with the huge cast they have.

Main complaint was the first scene, why was ghost there?

Really enjoyed the episode! Understandable that this is the kickstarter of the season, so it needs to set things up. Loved the giant in the beginning. Looked really well done, and hope to see more of them, especially for the battle at the Wall. Loved the Unsullied at the end, too. And the cutting of the Unsullied's nipple. Perfect. This season is gonna be spectacular.

Very interesting developments. By immediately revealing Selmy, it creates a situation where Mormont becomes jealous and overbearing. I mean, who wouldn't be intimidated by Barristan the Bold. Another thing that occurred to me was that I don't think Barristan was ever shown sitting on the Small Council, so may not know that Mormont was informing on Dany. Another thing was Margaery's charity work is very much a political ploy to build power. Joffrey doesn't see it but Cersei certainly does.

Awesome episode, my fears that they will make significant departures from the book have been quelled. I'm okay with Robb occupying harrenhall because those were some well done scenes and I think there's potential there, and I totally understand revealing Barristan right from the get go. It's not the same for a TV viewer, so there would be no intrigue or mystery to who Arstan is.

Really enjoyed the episode! Understandable that this is the kickstarter of the season, so it needs to set things up. Loved the giant in the beginning. Looked really well done, and hope to see more of them, especially for the battle at the Wall. Loved the Unsullied at the end, too. And the cutting of the Unsullied's nipple. Perfect. This season is gonna be spectacular.

yeah, I can't believe they included that part! I also liked the nod to the book when Cersei says people have been saying Tyrion's nose was cut off.

It had its ups and downs. Overall I didnt have a problem with the pacing, but thats probably because I was so excited that I wanted it to go slow and never end.

- The first scene with Sam was a bit of a let down. It looks like they are saving parts of this for later...

- LOVED Tormund Giantsbane. Actor did a terrific job. The giants also were well done. However Mance was poorly done. Love the way he was introduced in the books.

- At first I was a tad upset with Dontos basically being deleted from the story, but on second thought this was a good decision.

- The changes to Margery are understandable as she will be the focus of King's Landing this season

- HUGE LETDOWN when Barristan's identity is given away instantly. Also no Strong Belwas.

I thought this episode had many great individual scenes: Jon/Mance, Tyrion/Cersei, Tyrion/Tywin and the dinner between the Tyrells and Joffrey and Cersei were all fantastic scenes. Overall, I thought it felt a little slow but it was setting up the season so it's understandable. I'm curious to see what people hated (Ghost is the obvious one) because I didn't see much I objected to at all.

It broke my heart to see a razed Winterfell in the credits. I expected them to just skip it, but seeing the ruins was more heartbreaking.

- The changes to Margery are understandable as she will be the focus of King's Landing this season

- HUGE LETDOWN when Baristan's identity is given away instantly. Also no Strong Belwas.

I knew people would have a problem with this, but when it's on the screen it's harder to hide his identity to the audience. Especially when they show him in the "Previously On..." bit. No Strong Belwas is disappointing, but I think it was a good decision not to have him pretending to be Arstan Whitebeard.

I knew people would have a problem with this, but when it's on the screen it's harder to hide his identity to the audience. Especially when they show him in the "Previously On..." bit. No Strong Belwas is disappointing, but I think it was a good decision not to have him pretending to be Arstan Whitebeard.

I understand the need for it, but I wish they gave him a longer beard, didnt include his scene in the previously on segment and built him up for a few episodes before revealing who he was. The build up in the book was tremendous.

Well Jon and Ghost get separated anyway in the middle of Storm, so I guess they decided just have Ghost remain with the Nights Watch even though I could have sworn that Ghost was shown when Jon was first with the half-hand?

Really loved the episode:

- Cold (hehe) opening with Sam was a bit disappointing, I would've liked to see a full battle, but it was chilling (and there's a second one!) nonetheless

- Daenerys looks to be all kinds of awesome, and I'm quite glad that they skipped the whole Arstan Whitebeard subplot

- Tormund is f-cking perfect!!

- The Tyrion/Tywin scene was perfect also.

- Destroyed Winterfell in the credits was cool, and I got all excited to see Astapor there too!

- But I missed several characters :( (Arya, Brienne, Jaime, Bran)

Archived