[Book Spoilers] EP301 Discussion

Ran

I'm not worried about the beginning with Sam. It's clear they are holding off his White Walker confrontation until later this season. Look at it this way...would the White Walkers really come across as threatening if Sam slays one in the first five minutes of Season 3?

Best scene hands down was the Tywin/Tyrion one, great stuff, a masterclass in acting by Mr Dance.

Worst scene imo was the brothel scene with Bronn which was totally useless. Even the scene with Ros was better and that is saying something.

-The one disappointment for me was Robb the Oathbreaking Hypocrite. Yes, Northmen, be upset with Catelyn and not at your King for selfishly throwing away an alliance. It doesn't help that Robb is surrounded onscreen by disloyal bannerman. At least the Tullys should be coming into the picture soon. But I will absolutely laugh if Robb berates Edmure for not following orders.

LOL tell me about it. They are doing a really great job of making us root for Roose Bolton and the Freys.

It looks like they are ditching some of the mystery elements in order to simply the plot and not get the uninitiated confused (i.e., Littlefinger's role in Sansa's rescue, Baristan Selmy's identity, Davos' imprisonment).

Best scene hands down was the Tywin/Tyrion one, great stuff, a masterclass in acting by Mr Dance.

Easily the best scene of the episode. Loved when Tyrion turns around when he says "And one more thing..." but then angrily walking away when he threatens to hang the next whore he catches in Tyrion's bed.

Really liked the Tywin/Tyrion scene, the Mance/Jon scene (although I liked the book conversation a lot more; but it would've taken too much time to do it justice), and Dany's scenes, and I didn't mind the changes I noticed. Overall though, I thought the episode was just a bit... slow, I guess. I suppose it was inevitable, there's too much stuff that needs to get setup for after all, but it felt a bit too much like throat-clearing, and that's not the most enjoyable of things.

Guess I give it a 7/10.

and he failed to mention this to Tywin or capture Arya himself because ..... ?

Because he is LF and he plays his own game. At this point he still wants Cat.

I was just happy to see Roose.

this is the level I set my expectations at at this point.

EDIT: oh also, wildlings were really well done, though I wasn't a fan of how they cut out Mance's story of why he joined the wildlings. in the books it was what made me start to like/sympathize with them for the first time.

A good episode, though maybe the weakest opening so far. I loved Tormund and Mance; Davos was absolutely perfect, Stannis, I felt like giving him a hug, now more than ever, poor guy. I realized I barely remember what Barristan looked like in season one, only knew who he was because of the books - btw, the non-book readers who watched it with me had no idea who the old man was, which makes me thing the Arstan thing could have worked. The dragons looked incredibly cute, and the Unsullied were adequate. I loved cynical Sansa and creepy Petyr conspiring, and Margaery showing she can play the game of thrones, while Joffrey is too afraid to have anything thrown his way again. Oh, Qyburn's appearance was just one of those moments to make you laugh maniacally. The best thing, though, was the Tyrion X Tywin scene - the raw hostility from the latter, and the crushed hopes from the former were just heartbreaking, the only thing in the entire episode to (Tumblr language alert) give me any feels, in the entire episode.

I didn't like how they made it look like Stannis was nothing more than Mel's puppet, just another "Theoden"; I mean, okay, we have the feeling that’s how things are in the book, but that’s from Davos’ POV, I had hoped they would show things in a more complex manner on the show. It was also a bit frustrating how the two battles we were supposed to have this episode were simply hinted at; sure, battles are expensive, and I’d rather have dragons and direwolves, but not even some minor fighting in the background? And why the hell was Ghost with Mormont's group? The worst thing, though? No Jaime and Brienne, and no Arya, but that's okay, we'll have them next episode. :bowdown:

Archived