[Book Spoilers] EP301 Discussion

Ran

Best scene hands down was the Tywin/Tyrion one, great stuff, a masterclass in acting by Mr Dance.

Worst scene imo was the brothel scene with Bronn which was totally useless. Even the scene with Ros was better and that is saying something.

Not useless. Boob quota met.

Really strong premeire. I think this season is already off to a good start.

-Tyrion/Tywin was definitely the highlight and that scene came across as strong as it did in the book.

-I enjoyed Davos/Sallador a great deal and Davos's storyline in general came off strong. We even got to see his short fingers several times.

-Jon's storyline is already starting off better than last seasons. We get Giants and Mance and Tormund coming off strong.

-Unsullied storyline was handled great. Looks good for Dany's storyline.

-The one disappointment for me was Robb the Oathbreaking Hypocrite. Yes, Northmen, be upset with Catelyn and not at your King for selfishly throwing away an alliance. It doesn't help that Robb is surrounded onscreen by disloyal bannerman. At least the Tullys should be coming into the picture soon. But I will absolutely laugh if Robb berates Edmure for not following orders.

Is Robb not an Oathbreaking Hypocrite in the books too? If I recall Walder Frey has him killed because he broke his marriage oath to him in the books too.

As for disloyal bannermen, what has Rickard or Roose done on the show yet to give them the disloyal label? You know they will become disloyal, but they have yet to do anything to betray Robb in the show. They have given him council on certain matters, Robb has told them that he will do otherwise and they obey.

Is Robb not an Oathbreaking Hypocrite in the books too? If I recall Walder Frey has him killed because he broke his marriage oath to him in the books too.

As for disloyal bannermen, what has Rickard or Roose done on the show yet to give them the disloyal label? You know they will become disloyal, but they have yet to do anything to betray Robb in the show. They have given him council on certain matters, Robb has told them that he will do otherwise and they obey.

Yes, he did break his oath in the books but his reasons were more honorable than selfish. Still dumb but TV Robb is a selfish prat.

Barristan wasn't on the Small Council on the show so it's likely he doesn't know about Jorah. It is possible he does know about Jorah though and is waiting until he really gains the Queen's trust.

I'm trying to remember...I know Robb didn't get to Harrenhall in the book - but how far did he get. and I think the directors should show much more conflict in how he handles his mom - yes, he's mad at her - but he's also mad at himself and he also desperately loves her and she, him. they're all each other has. and I wish the director's would reflect that a little bit more.

Oh HBO why can't you give 40-50 million more dollars and 3 extra episodes a season for this great show. We lost all of Robert's Rebellion in Season 1. and now, so far we lost the Battle of the Fist (can't remember the actual name of it..lol) because of hbo's budgetary cuts. hbo makes half a billion dollars a month. they can afford it!

It looks like they are ditching some of the mystery elements in order to simply the plot and not get the uninitiated confused (i.e., Littlefinger's role in Sansa's rescue, Baristan Selmy's identity, Davos' imprisonment).

yes. i'm wondering if these changes will affect the dynamic between sansa/littlefinger in that she will be more trusting of him and davos/stannis in that the bromance won't be as strong. it was truly impressive when davos risked death or abadonmnet by saying boldly and proudly "the rightful king, stannis" only to have stannis treat him like a traitor. so sad.

Wondering if they have Ghost with the Night's Watch for future Jon warging reasons. Like, he'll have a "wolf dream" and see what's going on with the NW, through Ghost. Just a crackpot idea here.

Feeling a little disappointed with Mance. I know the actor's good (I'm not familiar, but that's all I've heard since he was cast) but Mance was so much more charming in the books, more easygoing.

My own opinion was that LF did know it was Arya in Harrenhall.

i agree with u he definityl knew he just never told tywin or anybody cause he doesnt care about any of them and it doesnt help him in any way revealing her identity to him at the time

i really liked the episode.

the opening scene was a bit weak but i didnt mind that much... if they manage to make sam "the slayer" before the end of the season

tyrion vs tywin was dark dark dark. but the best scene in the episode. the dialogue between cersei and tyrion was amazing too.

i liked jon's reason in the series better than in the book... i think the producers did a good job to use that craster's scene from last season as a motive

the characterization of margeary was very well done.

the scene of barry's revelation was weak.... i can't point exactly why but i didn't like it

and i want to slap mel and stannis so bad! poor davos. :crying:

After thinking about it some more I guess the Barristan reveal was necessary. He is introduced much later (in Astapor instead of Qarth) so I guess there wasn't enough story there to hide him for very long...

I am still unhappy with the changes to Mance however.

i loved jealous cersei and clueless, cocky joffrey at dinner with the tyrell siblings.

interesting how weak stannis has been made on the show. he truly seems to be melisandre's pet. lost without her. she even says so, in her own way.

Archived