[Book Spoilers] EP301 Discussion

Ran

Thought this was wonderful- so glad HBO Go is up right as the show is live!

To all those complaining about Ghost/Jon: at first I was a little bummed too. Then I thought about how it really represents that a part of him is still in the Night's Watch, he is torn. He isn't full wildling, which may be important to stress to non-book reading audiences.

I actually have to say that Ros has won me over now. Her protectiveness over Sansa really struck me, and I can forgive her existence because she is of the North.

Loved the quick reveal with Barristan, although I am sad to miss Belwas. Thought that little girl was creepy from the get-go! Excellent, excellent, excellent!

I dunno what there is for Sansa to do if the Purple Wedding is next season.

well there is her own wedding. besides, the actress stated in an interview that you will see sansa laugh this season. something must happen to make her happy.

I noticed that Cersei tells Margery "when you are queen", so we are seeing the back scenes plotting of getting rid of Sansa that we never saw in the books, which is a nice touch. Silly me, we saw Sansa released last season, the scene with Sansa in the balcony and her barely concealed joy. But we did not see dinner meetings like this with Cersei and Joff, which I did like to set the scene for Margaery and the Tyrells to become popular.

Charles Dance is awesome, and Peter Dinklage and he just spark off of each other.

is it just me or roose is way more likeable in the show, that whole talk he had with karstark in the episode about avenging his sons made me like him abit where in the book everytime he was mentioned he came off way more menacing and made me feel like this is a person robb should worry about.

Could anybody make out what the letters say on the other city design on Slaver's Bay? I think I saw a 'y' at the beginning, so it has to be Yunkai, but I'm not sure. It is too far south to be Meereen, anyway, but you never know.

Since we won't get to the third city this season, that's possibly a good sign that the cities are indeed not merged. They only need to design Meereen on the map when it becomes a location.

Oh, and by the way, I really liked Liam Cunningham's make-up.

Is it me, or look both Tywin and Barristan a lot older than last season/first season?

On that Bolton thing: I did not get any treachery vibe from Roose. The man just wants to recapture the Kingslayer. Which is the very thing Robb wants, too. Karstark is angry, Roose is all quiet and concerned. I start to like that actor.

Hey the forums back up! For now at least....

Anyway, I liked the premiere. The Sam opening was as shit as I thought it would be after reading some spoilers, but everything else was great. I loved that they didn't try to cram a scene for every character in like they did last year. I hated that about Season 2.

That Tywin/Tyrion scene was really the standout for me, man was it hard to watch....but in a good way. I can't wait to see more of Tywin interacting with his children and also Joff, especially Joff!!!.

I don't mind the idea of Robb making it to Harrenhal, but I wonder how they're going to explain that Arya, who was heading north, and Robb's huge army, which was heading south, were unable to cross paths. Unless in the show Arya was heading somewhere else? But I don't remember her doing so, and I don't see why she wouldn't head north.... That's my only real complaint, but since Arya wasn't shown at all maybe we'll get an explanation.

Although a bit slow, I thought it was a good set-up episode, and I was wondering how they would fit Ser Barristan in since Dany was buying her own ship instead of taking one sent by Illyrio. I thought it worked well. I wish we could've gotten more of the dialogue with Kraznys that was in the book, especially when he was talking about showing her around Astapor for the night, but I guess it would've gotten old. I do wish they'd managed to mention that Dany understood everything Kraznys was saying.

And I agree with the above poster about Davos's make-up- it was awesome!

I thought Margery came off a bit too fake and calculated, but I loved how Joffrey checked Cersei at the dinner table. I'm surprised they kept us in suspense about Theon though since last we saw him he was being dragged off.

is it just me or roose is way more likeable in the show, that whole talk he had with karstark in the episode about avenging his sons made me like him abit where in the book everytime he was mentioned he came off way more menacing and made me feel like this is a person robb should worry about.

They've toned down the creepiness but the lingering shots on McElhatton's intense stare should give attentive viewers an unsettling vibe

Was really disappointed that Robb imprisons his mother for freeing the Kingslayer, but doesn't realize his OWN oathbreaking, by marrying some foreign magical-doctor lady instead of honoring his betrothal...you know, the one that gave him thousands of soldiers.

TV Robb, I am ready for your wedding. I'll be singing the Rains of Castamere louder than anyone.

Honestly, D&D what happened to that "Nobody calls my lady of Winterfell a traitor in my hearing!"

One could see that Dany understood everything Kraznys was saying. Just as I assumed: They will save Dany's language skill until the very end. In the show they can drag that out, and the revelation is an important moment later on. Especially to Kraznys...

And I'd be surprised if there was not another Kraznys-Dany scene before the grand finale. After all, she has to offer him and his colleagues a dragon, has she not?

Joff intelligent, or even mature? Are you kidding me? That joke about the Small Council was as forced and stupid as Margaery and Loras' laughter was false.

But it was funny how he did not know what to do when Margaery went to the orphanage...

It will be interesting to see (or guess) if only the how of Joffrey's murder has to be determined in the show, or if the if is still discussed as well.

Archived