[Book Spoilers] EP301 Discussion

Ran

Purists or not, can anyone tell me how the condition of Tyrion's nose has any material effect on the show? Be realistic. The show can never parallel to books. To expect it to do so, is irrational.

No I don't think it really affects the show. But him being particularly grotesque (even before the scarring) makes a difference in the books IMO.

Maybe book-Tyrion is just as handsome as Peter Dinkledge, but nobody around him perceives him that way, because of their society's prejudice against dwarfs?

And he perpetuates that perception on himself in his POV chapters...

I realize I'm in the minority but I was left with a good bit of disappointment after this first episode, even after watching it three consecutive times. I kept wanting it to get better.

I liked the Astapor scenes and loved seeing the dragons-close up, and I thought the Tywin v. Tyrion scene was fantastic (and true to the book -- made me want them to hurry up with the cross bow scene already!), but I was pretty bummed about most of the rest of it. Not terribly disgruntled but just generally let down.

Many of the other scenes I thought were either pointless or slow-moving. I thought the Margaery/orphanage scene was unrealistic, the Bronn scene served no purpose, and the battle scene of FoFM and Others was nearly non-existent. I'm not terribly sold on the choice for Mance to begin with but thought his scene with Jon fell flat.

The first two seasons were just SO good, and I think the quality of this one was just substantially inferior. :leaving:

Harrenhall as been way different in the books then the show from the beginning, Arayn does not even meet Tywin in the books.

Plus the reason why she does not meet Rob's Army in the show is becuase they take back roads and go through the woods and such not.

The whole way Theon lost Winterfall is different as well in the show it is Iron born that kncok him out and give him over and that is not how the books go.

I saw season 1 and 2 before I read the books then I read all 5 books and they are differnt, the books are better but I look forward to the show and see where they go. It is fun to compare but you all should no by know the show is going to be different.

The show Renly was gay ( not in the book) The whole Xaro Xohan in Quarth is way different in the book then the show. There a lot of changes but it is what it is.

Purists or not, can anyone tell me how the condition of Tyrion's nose has any material effect on the show? Be realistic. The show can never parallel to books. To expect it to do so, is irrational.

well it ruins the handless and noseless line

No I don't think it really affects the show. But him being particularly grotesque (even before the scarring) makes a difference in the books IMO.

Agree, it doesn't impact the show necessarily but it is very much a part of the character after Blackwater Bay. He's constantly thinking about it, scratching at it, having people point it out to him... that's all.

I realize I'm in the minority but I was left with a good bit of disappointment after this first episode, even after watching it three consecutive times. I kept wanting it to get better.

I liked the Astapor scenes and loved seeing the dragons-close up, and I thought the Tywin v. Tyrion scene was fantastic (and true to the book -- made me want them to hurry up with the cross bow scene already!), but I was pretty bummed about most of the rest of it. Not terribly disgruntled but just generally let down.

Many of the other scenes I thought were either pointless or slow-moving. I thought the Margaery/orphanage scene was unrealistic, the Bronn scene served no purpose, and the battle scene of FoFM and Others was nearly non-existent. I'm not terribly sold on the choice for Mance to begin with but thought his scene with Jon fell flat.

The first two seasons were just SO good, and I think the quality of this one was just substantially inferior. :leaving:

I didn't think it was awesome, but it wasn't too bad either.

Maybe book-Tyrion is just as handsome as Peter Dinkledge, but nobody around him perceives him that way, because of their society's prejudice against dwarfs?

Well, GRRM said in an interview not too long ago that Book Tyrion is unattractive (presumably pre-Blackwater as well) while Peter Dinklage is quite good-looking, but when the ASOIAF POVs talk in any detail about the reasons for Tyrion's ugliness (pre-Blackwater), it's referencing physical traits Peter Dinklage and other achondroplastic dwarfs share (big foreheads, e.g.). So it's a bit inconsistent, really.

Book Tyrion also has the mismatched eyes, which I don't know that I would call ugly in of themselves (Shiera Seastar had them, too), and the weird white blond/black hair colour, certainly probably tip the scales towards "unatttractive." Book Tyrion also waddles, which TV Tyrion does not (despite TV Tywin referring to Tyrion as "waddling about.")

I think they are able to get away with TV!Tyrion not being physically hideous because that's not the only thing that makes him so repulsive and unnatural to people. He's a dwarf, so that constitutes plenty of abuse, regardless of how his face may look. Now if Tyrion was a non-dwarf ugly man and handsome as hell in the show, that would be a serious issue.

Mileage varies on this, but isn't that the case for Book Jorah versus TV Jorah?

?

Maybe show Jorah has drowned out book Jorah for me, but what are the glaring differences? Show Jorah is calmer and smaller?

Mileage varies on this, but isn't that the case for Book Jorah versus TV Jorah?

Yep...and it is kind of is a serious issue, but it gets some leeway because Jorah isn't nearly as important of a character as Tyrion. However, as a girl (who does swing both ways, actually), I find it much harder to believe that Dany would be unattracted to Iain Glen's portrayal, considering he's hot as hell, compared to nasty, hairy book Jorah. But it's also easy to rationalize by saying that Jorah is more of a father figure to her, and he's not a sexy badass in the way Drogo or Daario (ha!) is, so yeah..

?

Maybe show Jorah has drowned out book Jorah for me, but what are the glaring differences? Show Jorah is calmer and smaller?

Book Jorah is very ugly, lol.

Here's the LF quote in question: "I saw your mother not long ago. She's very eager to see you. And your sister."

The LF quote is interesting, because there are two ways to interpret it:

1. "I saw your mother not long ago. (She's very eager to see you.) And your sister." = "I saw Catelyn and Arya not long ago, and Catelyn's very eager to see you" (kind of implies Catelyn and Arya are in the same place as well)

2. "I saw your mother not long ago. She's very eager to see you, and your sister." = "I saw Catelyn not long ago, and she's very eager to see you and Arya."

#2 is technically true (Catelyn really is eager to see both Arya and Sansa), but Sansa was desperate to believe that her sister's alive and well, so she went with #1. Note that Littlefinger never actually answers her when she asks "Arya's alive?" He just sort of smiles knowingly, seemingly confirming her interpretation but not saying anything.

...It's probably the smartest thing TV Littlefinger has ever said. Very devious, actually, since he's not technically lying but he is successfully misleading Sansa. And it works, because Sansa wants to believe that Arya's alive and safe so badly that she'll eat it up without asking any questions.

i think there is a 3rd way to look at it, LF was plumbing whether Sansa knew anything about Arya, like was she hiding something from him.

Yep...and it is kind of is a serious issue, but it gets some leeway because Jorah isn't nearly as important of a character as Tyrion. However, as a girl (wh does swing both ways, actually), I find it much harder to believe that Dany would be unattracted to Iain Glen's portrayal, considering he's hot as hell, compared to nasty, hairy book Jorah. But it's also easy to rationalize by saying that Jorah is more of a father figure to her, and he's not a sexy badass in the way Drogo or Daario (ha!) is, so yeah..

Well, Iain Glen, despite being hot as hell, is still middle-aged. He looks every one of his 51 years. So I think age is more of a factor than any supposed problem with his looks, and it certainly plays into the father figure thing.

Archived