[No Spoilers] EP 301 Discussion

Ran

Non-spoiler discussion of the show goes here, for those who've not read the books or those who have but are happy to not actually reference them at all in discussion, taking each episode as it comes.

This topic should open automatically when the show begins airing.

Valar morghulis (all men must die) is what was said to Arya at the end of S2. Valar dohaeris means all men must serve. And yeah, they weren't ever said during the episode, weird. Maybe the next one.

I

I know they needed to show Margaery in the city being nice and all that and to been seen by Joffrey, but what was he doing there? Where was he going? That was rather odd.

They might have been going to the Great Sept of Baelor, together.

I know they needed to show Margaery in the city being nice and all that and to been seen by Joffrey, but what was he doing there? Where was he going? That was rather odd.

Mag claimed that she stopped at an orphanage that the High Septon told her about, so maybe they were on there way back to the Red Keep? I have no idea why Joffrey would go with her. Maybe they were getting some blessing on their betrothal?

My biggest surprise moment in the episode came when Petyr Baelish claimed that he saw Arya recently. He lied to Catelyn about Arya to manipulate her, so he might be doing the same to Sansa. The thing is though he did see Arya in Harrenhall as Tywin Lannister's cup bearer.

My biggest surprise moment in the episode came when Petyr Baelish claimed that he saw Arya recently. He lied to Catelyn about Arya to manipulate her, so he might be doing the same to Sansa. The thing is though he did see Arya in Harrenhall as Tywin Lannister's cup bearer.

I thought this was very interesting...however I think this might fall under spoilers and should not be in this thread...

Why the episode name? Valar Dohaeris was always associated with Arya unless it's being used for Selmy. And I don't recall the words ever being said during the episode.

I guess you could tenuously link men having to serve as an overarching theme of the episode. The Unsullied serving without question, Tyrion now having to serve Tywin after all the power of season 2, the shake-up of the Bronn/Tyrion relationship, Robb having to serve the desire for vengeance amongst his bannermen and so on.

I loved Cersei's line about Tyrion's nose. Can't beat a bit of meta.

I think he was definitely lying. LF would probably turnover Arya in a second if it meant currying favour with the Lannisters. I dont think he really recognized Arya.

I guess you could tenuously link men having to serve as an overarching theme of the episode. The Unsullied serving without question, Tyrion now having to serve Tywin after all the power of season 2, the shake-up of the Bronn/Tyrion relationship, Robb having to serve the desire for vengeance amongst his bannermen and so on.

I loved Cersei's line about Tyrion's nose. Can't beat a bit of meta.

Margaery serving the poor.

There is something in the episode that confused me and my friend a bit when we watched it : Stannis seems to bave completely altered his appearance, so much that we weren't sure it was the same actor until we looked it up. Did anyone else notice this or was it just a trick of the light/our brains?

I didn't get a long enough look at him for me to really notice, but he definitely looked a bit different. I think he's supposed to look haunted/depressed/maybe even a bit hopeless after Blackwater. Whereas in season 2 he was pretty confident a lot of the time.

So I think it was intentional and a combination of acting, the lighting, maybe some make-up.

Archived