[Book Spoilers] Astapor

tito5601

Kraznys was speaking the low Valyrian dialect of the Ghiscari slaver cities, much as in the books.

I think, obviously, a big reveal about Barristan isn't really going to factor into things.

hey just a few questions about the astapor scenes, what language was the slaver speaking and also now that they revealed barristan selmy earlier than expected how will they finish off her storyline for the season?

I thought a former pit gladiator with an old man as a squire was about as silly a story as George could have constructed.

The scene played out as it did in my mind, Jorah would have known from the get go exactly who it was.

So D and D cut to the chase.

I am still hoping Belwas will show up , sometime.

I am not sure I like the little girl assassination attempt , I guess they were implying she was sent by the House of Undying? Too hard to explain about the Sorrowful Men , yeah I understand that.

Well I liked the Low Valyrian , but I guessed wrong that in this episode that Missandei would be given to Dany , whereupon she would say Valar Morghulis and Dany would respond with Valar Dohaeris thus surprising Missandei that Dany spoke Valyrian.

Thus , as with episode 10 of season 2, give the name of the show explicitly.

What do we think about Valyrian, anyway? Any similarities to real languages, at least in terms of feel/tone (probably not vocab since it's all made up)? It sounds less harsh and guttural than Dothraki.

Personally, the language strongly reminded me of Greek.

edit: scratch that, there's a bit of romance vocab too -- "knight" was "chevali"

edit2: oh, and we have "morhur" or something for death, which is both Latinate sounding and has a nice resemblance to morghulis. Then there's mhysa being used, which isn't properly Valyrian, but the Ghiscari version has a lot of Ghiscari admixtures so that's ok.

hey just a few questions about the astapor scenes, what language was the slaver speaking and also now that they revealed barristan selmy earlier than expected how will they finish off her storyline for the season?

I thought a former pit gladiator with an old man as a squire was about as silly a story as George could have constructed.

The scene played out as it did in my mind, Jorah would have known from the get go exactly who it was.

So D and D cut to the chase.

I am still hoping Belwas will show up , sometime.

I am not sure I like the little girl assassination attempt , I guess they were implying she was sent by the House of Undying? Too hard to explain about the Sorrowful Men , yeah I understand that.

Well I liked the Low Valyrian , but I guessed wrong that in this episode that Missandei would be given to Dany , whereupon she would say Valar Morghulis and Dany would respond with Valar Dohaeris thus surprising Missandei that Dany spoke Valyrian.

Thus , as with episode 10 of season 2, give the name of the show explicitly.

Whoa, wait. Danny meets Selmy at the end of book 2, right? They just moved it from last season to this season.

Valryian reminded me of Hebrew a bit, perhaps it was the extreme throat sounds. I figured that the fake languages may have some real influences at times.

i speak hebrew at home doesnt sound like that at all hahaha

What do we think about Valyrian, anyway? Any similarities to real languages, at least in terms of feel/tone (probably not vocab since it's all made up)? It sounds less harsh and guttural than Dothraki.

Personally, the language strongly reminded me of Greek.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, it sounded a little Greek. But the words themselves, not really. I heard an interview, where the creator knew everything about the Valyrian language, its backstory, the way it's spoken... and he knew that the Valyrian Freehold was like the Roman Empire. Wouldn't it be funny if he made a language similar to Latin, but spoken like Greek?? :)

Anyway, as for Astapor, it was nice, I wasn't expecting to see the city, but they did give us a nice image. And after seeing the latest trailer, we will gate some more, when she leaves with the Unsullied through 5,6 gates. Probably Yunkai is gone... which is disappointing to say the least.

I really enjoyed the Dany scenes in Astapor too. I thought that Astapor looked really beautiful (especially in that establishing shot) and I loved the location where she was shown some of the Unsullied.

I thought that the only confusing thing about the episode was that it did not establish that Dany understood Valyrian. All they needed to do was have her fairly outraged in the final scene about Kraznys calling her a whore.

Being a Greek speaker myself, Ghiscari didn't sound like Greek to me lol. It sounded strongly like Maltese.

Sorry, you can't be objective :). Interesting idea about Maltese... to me it didn't sound the same, but I've heard it only a couple of times. I also find it hard to believe that Peterson knows Maltese... but I may be wrong.

Archived