[Book Spoilers] Astapor

tito5601

Hmm "Astapor". A glimpse of the outside then non existent, even worse than Qarth.

You know I know Pixomondo is one of the premier VFX companies, and Astapor , from a distance, looked perfect.

But gezz I was not aware VFX cost so much they could not do some CGI on the interior , or at least one POV when Dany was inside. I mean it looked ok but thought they were shooting for atmosphere this season so not Exotic at all.

All the VFX for Dany's scenes go into the dragons? Which looked Dynamite!

I really enjoyed the Dany scenes in Astapor too. I thought that Astapor looked really beautiful (especially in that establishing shot) and I loved the location where she was shown some of the Unsullied.

I thought that the only confusing thing about the episode was that it did not establish that Dany understood Valyrian. All they needed to do was have her fairly outraged in the final scene about Kraznys calling her a whore.

I think in one of the Behind the Scenes clips Dany is speaking in Valyrian (or it may be Missandei again) so maybe they're revealing that in the next episode or two when she goes back. She glanced over at Missandei at one point which I felt was them noting she's understanding everything being said.

I really enjoyed the Dany scenes in Astapor too. I thought that Astapor looked really beautiful (especially in that establishing shot) and I loved the location where she was shown some of the Unsullied.

I thought that the only confusing thing about the episode was that it did not establish that Dany understood Valyrian. All they needed to do was have her fairly outraged in the final scene about Kraznys calling her a whore.

Emilia really shows an expression on her face that screams she is being insulted but trying to supress her emotion. Dany certainly understands the slave master but I am pretty sure she willl not reveal she speaks it until she is getting ready to kill the guy.

I think in one of the Behind the Scenes clips Dany is speaking in Valyrian (or it may be Missandei again) so maybe they're revealing that in the next episode or two when she goes back. She glanced over at Missandei at one point which I felt was them noting she's understanding everything being said.

I think you must be mistaking that 'pirate' video from a (temporary?) crew member, where she is riding a horse and speaking to the Unsullied either high or low Valyrian. (Is that video still out there?)

I really don't understand what happened, D and D made it explicitly clear season 1 episode 1 that there was a language called Dothraki.

I simple subtitle 'Speaking Low Valyrian' would not have been intrusive, or having Missandei mention in one sentence she would be translating from Low Valyrian to common tongue.

Or better yet while Dany and Ser Jorah were together, having him quickly advise her not to let on that she spoke Valyrian, as it was in the books. Which primed the reader to know that Dany now had an advantage in evaluating Kraznys.

I did not like that deletion, despite looks between Missandei and Dany.

Emilia really shows an exp<b></b>ression on her face that screams she is being insulted but trying to supress her emotion. Dany certainly understands the slave master but I am pretty sure she willl not reveal she speaks it until she is getting ready to kill the guy.

I think they do it as in the book. We have already seen stills of Dany with Missandei after she has been given to her.

It was at that point in the books, and for the first time , I think, Dany begins speaking Valyrian. I am going to suppose it to be High Valyrian which I am sure Missandei understands also.

I was ready for the Valyrian speech after it was posted about on the sight yesterday, but boy was it amazing to hear spoken, and in a scene that played up the fun of translation, mistranslation, interpretation, and all manner of differing language tension. I expect the amazing work on this to be kept up, and for Dany to be speaking her fair share of high and low Valyrian by the end of the season. MHYSA!!!! MHYSA!!

Dany doesn't speak Valyrian until she takes control of the Unsullied, if I remember correctly, and by that time Kraznys knows that he is fucked.

Wrong Dany speaks Valyrian to Missandei right after Missandei is given to her.

Missandei is surprised for a little bit.

Seems to me Dany speaks Valyrian to some others before she does surprise Kraznys with it

Shock vs Awww

If the audience could tell that she knew what the slave guy was saying then the slave guy should be able to tell as well...

The fact that it was not mentioned that the Unsullied have to raise and kill a puppy as well as buy and kill a baby made so much sense to me. People get so upset when bad things happen to animals on TV, much more than when bad things happen to people, even children. People said they were going to boycott Mad Men when Duck left his dog outside on the sidewalk! (I love animals too, but I find this impulse so odd.)

The fact that it was not mentioned that the Unsullied have to raise and kill a puppy as well as buy and kill a baby made so much sense to me. People get so upset when bad things happen to animals on TV, much more than when bad things happen to people, even children. People said they were going to boycott Mad Men when Duck left his dog outside on the sidewalk! (I love animals too, but I find this impulse so odd.)

Many people don't see killing a puppy any differently than killing a pig or a cow, meat is meat, an animal is an animal. Killing babies on the other hand... Mad Men hasn't suffered any, from what i can see, I cannot wait for season 6.

As already said, Dany's expresstion during the exchnage with the slaver is clearly that she knows what is being said. Her head snaps over to look at him a few times before the translation, kinda like a 'wtf did you just say to me?!?!" Then she would catch herself. The slaver, of course beign an idiot did not notice.

The only thing I can say about Astapor so far is that it's beautiful. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. It's a pretty, stylish city, but at the same time, gritty and gruesome.

The actor playing Kraznys was amazing too. Hopefully he'll have at least two more episodes before the Dracarys moment.

though it's plain to see that Dany understands the slaver and Missendei.....the only word she speaks in valaryian to the slaver is ....well.....the command she gives Drogon....but Kras is suppsoed to have real oily hair and be really greasy looking and quaffed and perfumed....I guess they can't make them so outlandish on screen.......they did the same for Illaryio....

I think you must be mistaking that 'pirate' video from a (temporary?) crew member, where she is riding a horse and speaking to the Unsullied either high or low Valyrian. (Is that video still out there?)

I really don't understand what happened, D and D made it explicitly clear season 1 episode 1 that there was a language called Dothraki.

I simple subtitle 'Speaking Low Valyrian' would not have been intrusive, or having Missandei mention in one sentence she would be translating from Low Valyrian to common tongue.

Or better yet while Dany and Ser Jorah were together, having him quickly advise her not to let on that she spoke Valyrian, as it was in the books. Which primed the reader to know that Dany now had an advantage in evaluating Kraznys.

I did not like that deletion, despite looks between Missandei and Dany.

agreed.....they could have had Jorah whisper to her not let on that she could understand instead of having to go by Dany's expression....non readers would really find it hard to know that Dany understands....it could also be the look of annoyance like she feels she's being insulted just because she doesn't understand.....it's pretty difficult for non readers to catch on that Dany understnads....

I rewatched the episode, and I think I caught something... Dany repeats how the Unsullied give a coin of silver to the mother (before being corrected) - But Missandei never told her the silver part. (I think)... But Neither Missandei or Kraznys seems to catch it - but I think this might be a certain hint that she does understand. (I could be wrong, though)

Either way it was one of my favourite scenes of the episode!

Archived