[Book Spoilers] Astapor

tito5601

I rewatched the episode, and I think I caught something... Dany repeats how the Unsullied give a coin of silver to the mother (before being corrected) - But Missandei never told her the silver part. (I think)... But Neither Missandei or Kraznys seems to catch it - but I think this might be a certain hint that she does understand. (I could be wrong, though)

Either way it was one of my favourite scenes of the episode!

Missandei's translation is all we get for those lines so yes, she mentions it. She calls it 'a silver mark' while Dany says 'a silver coin', so perhaps that little difference threw you off?

While watching this scene I had to control myself because I was watching it with my mom, that didn't read the books, so for her it will be a surprise later on that Dany understood all that was said. She was upset all the time that Kraznys was being so rude and disrespectful and I really had a hard time controlling my tongue. I have to see the scene again, but I think that Dany almost showed a smirk in a moment, kind of implying that she was getting all that was being said.

While watching this scene I had to control myself because I was watching it with my mom, that didn't read the books, so for her it will be a surprise later on that Dany understood all that was said. She was upset all the time that Kraznys was being so rude and disrespectful and I really had a hard time controlling my tongue. I have to see the scene again, but I think that Dany almost showed a smirk in a moment, kind of implying that she was getting all that was being said.

Yes for readers we knew what was going on.

But I kind of regret the way they did it because it was George's construction to build Dany's disgust for Kraznys.

So its part of the narrative story and serves a dramatic purpose later.

Alas did D and D miss the intent?

It seemed Jorah knew a bit of what he was saying as well. All in all, fantastic work. What a huge turnaround for Dany's storyline from last year. I can't wait to see how this season goes for her. As much as i loved belwas in the books, im cool wot everything so far in astapor.

Yes for readers we knew what was going on.

But I kind of regret the way they did it because it was George's construction to build Dany's disgust for Kraznys.

So its part of the narrative story and serves a dramatic purpose later.

Alas did D and D miss the intent?

I dont think so. We'll find out when she comes to buy them.

Sorry, you can't be objective :). Interesting idea about Maltese... to me it didn't sound the same, but I've heard it only a couple of times. I also find it hard to believe that Peterson knows Maltese... but I may be wrong.

But he can have somewhat ore knowledge on how Greek sounds :P

The addition of the throaty sounds makes it deviate from Greek quite a bit.

As already said, Dany's expresstion during the exchnage with the slaver is clearly that she knows what is being said. Her head snaps over to look at him a few times before the translation, kinda like a 'wtf did you just say to me?!?!" Then she would catch herself. The slaver, of course beign an idiot did not notice.

It's not about the slaver being an idiot, which of course he is, it's about TV. People on TV never read each others facial expressions which they aren't meant to see or overhear a conversation that they are not meant to hear, regardless of the proximity to the speaker. :drunk:

It was a great scene between Danny and Kraznys and I was really glad they didn't just announce that Danny understood and instead just let the actors sell it. It wasn't so overt. Viewers could certainly miss it, but those of us in the know would pick up on it. It was the perfect way to play it IMO.

Jorah actually gave the biggest tell when he was told he smells like piss.

Not sure if this is the best thread to put this on but I just had to get this off my chest and as a noob here did not want to start another topic:

In my opinion the Unsullied were pathetic!!!

These guys are supposed to be one of, if not THE most disciplined military forces in both Westeros and Esos and quite frankly they looked like pre-school kids in formation. As a former Army sergeant I have seen soldiers half-way into basic training behave better in formation. These guys were swaying from side to side, spears moving constantly, even caught one guy trying to shuffle to fix the horribly uneven rank and file... I don't even want to get started on left-face / right face mess...

Did the producers not plan this scene at all and just grabbed some extras of the street at the last minute?

This completely destroyed the nipple scene for me: made it completely unconvincing. (Sure, you don't wince when your nipple is cut off but you look like you have to piss in formation).

What do you guys/gals think? Am I being overly sensitive?

Not sure if this is the best thread to put this on but I just had to get this off my chest and as a noob here did not want to start another topic:

In my opinion the Unsullied were pathetic!!!

These guys are supposed to be one of, if not THE most disciplined military forces in both Westeros and Esos and quite frankly they looked like pre-school kids in formation. As a former Army sergeant I have seen soldiers half-way into basic training behave better in formation. These guys were swaying from side to side, spears moving constantly, even caught one guy trying to shuffle to fix the horribly uneven rank and file... I don't even want to get started on left-face / right face mess...

Did the producers not plan this scene at all and just grabbed some extras of the street at the last minute?

This completely destroyed the nipple scene for me: made it completely unconvincing. (Sure, you don't wince when your nipple is cut off but you look like you have to piss in formation).

What do you guys/gals think? Am I being overly sensitive?

Remember that they had stood there for a day and a night (according to Kraznys), so some swaying should be expected. Won't most people simply faint if standing immobile for far shorter time spans than that? Likely as not, they hadn't eaten anything in all that time as well - nor had a chance to piss, as you so vividly put it.

No one could maintain perfect formation under those circumstances, no matter how tough or well-disciplined.

Remember that they had stood there for a day and a night (according to Kraznys), so some swaying should be expected. Won't most people simply faint if standing immobile for far shorter time spans than that? Likely as not, they hadn't eaten anything in all that time as well - nor had a chance to piss, as you so vividly put it.

No one could maintain perfect formation under those circumstances, no matter how tough or well-disciplined.

yes i agree with u unsullied at the end of the day are people and if people dont sleep or eat they will feel very weak, i actually liked that they werent perfect because then it makes us remember that they are human. if it was any one of us standing in one position without food and sleep we would faint before morning. thats why they are unsullied and we arent

Archived