[Book Spoilers] Book deviations in this episode

teemo

Ran covered it, but here is a book quote anyway:

So the phrasing "to win his shield" that the show used isn't really a deviation since the book's have basically the same line, just "spiked cap" in place of "shield"

Well, at Season 1 they were different

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrjlc4IUGg1qaodcn.png

http://kissed-by-fire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/unsullied_illyrio_game_of_thrones.jpg

I suppose they were Unsullied (spiked cap). They could have used this kind of design for them, then the phrase could have remained the same.

Well, at Season 1 they were different

http://media.tumblr....IUGg1qaodcn.png

http://kissed-by-fir..._of_thrones.jpg

I suppose they were Unsullied (spiked cap). They could have used this kind of design for them, then the phrase could have remained the same.

Aren't the Unsullied in Pentos (and some other Free Cities) suppose to be more "lazy" than their Slaver's Bay counterparts?

Do you guys still think Shae is going to betray Tyrion?

Well the way I understood it was that it was kind of ambiguous, whether or not she really did betray him or was being forced into it by Tywin against her will. From Tyrion's perspective of course, she definitively did.

Since it's pretty clear that she actually loves him on the show and she is a "good guy," I don't think she is going to betray him, but he will think she does and kill her. Very sad.

Out of curiosity...here's a few off the top of my head. Some are

• Tormund is much more serious
  • Ciarin Hinds = awesome actor and pretty good at Mance (although not what I pictured), but I miss the bard thing.
  • Sam being saved from the NW crew like that
  • The way Stannis was sent to the dungeons was odd, although I see what they're doing to save some time and still get their point across.
  • Tyrion almost groveling to this father, wanting approval. Besides that, that scene was almost word to word from the book. Dance and Dinklage are such amazing actors. Damn.
  • Was Cersei ever really that worried about Tyrion talking to daddy? How different was that conversation in the books?
  • It looks like Bronn is here to stay longer instead of being Cersei's new pet. They kind of got themselves into this by having Tyrion make him a knight last season, so Cersei can't really offer him that, I guess. It gives us more time to see Bronn, which is nice. Because everyone loves Bronn. But isn't Bronn pretty much done with Tyrion at this point?
  • I thought it was random how Robb and Cat and co. showed up at Harrenhal. Loved seeing Qyburn.
  • The whole scene with LF/Sansa/Shae/Ros felt really weird to me. Not a big fan of Sansa/Shae being BFF and Ros moving up in the world.
  • Littlefinger would never in a million years blatantly tell Sansa of all people that he's planning on getting her out of there. He's way too sneaky for that. So was Dontos' appearance last season just a teaser, or what? But like GRRM said, TV LF is nothing like book LF. It also makes me wonder how the whole PW thing is going to go down now.
  • *got the unsullied stuff wrong
  • Was Joffrey ever this blatantly nasty to his mother around family and stuff at dinner? I guess he has to be a little different in the show though since he's older.

Slow episode, but really beautiful. Can't wait for episode 4.

-If they included the whole puppy killing thing as well as killing babies, it would just seem ridiculous. Nobody is that awful.

-I like the rivalry between Cersei and Tyrion. Don;t the books say that Cersei considers herself to be Tywin with teats? It's not a stretch to assume that she would seek Tywin's approval.

-Joff did threaten his mother with death in season 2 if she ever slapped him again. I love that he's putting on a big facade to gain Margaery's approval. It's just like the little shit to do so.

-It appears that Ros might be the replacement for Ser Dontos. If she's moving up in the world, she could be used to relay LF's words to Sansa

-I'm guessing Robb will depart to Riverrun next episode and leave Roose to hold Harrenhal. That sets up Jaime being brought to him later. Roose can regroup with Robb at the Twins in episode 8 or 9.

-If they included the whole puppy killing thing as well as killing babies, it would just seem ridiculous. Nobody is that awful.

-I like the rivalry between Cersei and Tyrion. Don;t the books say that Cersei considers herself to be Tywin with teats? It's not a stretch to assume that she would seek Tywin's approval.

-Joff did threaten his mother with death in season 2 if she ever slapped him again. I love that he's putting on a big facade to gain Margaery's approval. It's just like the little shit to do so.

-It appears that Ros might be the replacement for Ser Dontos. If she's moving up in the world, she could be used to relay LF's words to Sansa

-I'm guessing Robb will depart to Riverrun next episode and leave Roose to hold Harrenhal. That sets up Jaime being brought to him later. Roose can regroup with Robb at the Twins in episode 8 or 9.

I didn't say i disliked the rivalry; I was just wondering how similar it was in the books/if it even existed.

I don't think the puppy thing would be too ridiculous for this show...I mean, lots of characters have been way beyond awful :\ I don't really care if they include it or not though. There doesn't seem to be much of a reason to mention both.

I didn't say i disliked the rivalry; I was just wondering how similar it was in the books/if it even existed.

I don't think the puppy thing would be too ridiculous for this show...I mean, lots of characters have been way beyond awful :\ I don't really care if they include it or not though. There doesn't seem to be much of a reason to mention both.

The rivalry isn't in the books, but could have existed. It's a bit like Margaery/Renly and Robert's war stories. It doesn't happen, but the scenes fit into Martin's vision.

The rivalry isn't in the books, but could have existed. It's a bit like Margaery/Renly and Robert's war stories. It doesn't happen, but the scenes fit into Martin's vision.

Yeah, I agree. It seemed to fit just fine.

Wasn't Daenerys fluent in high valrian? She didnt seem too bothered by the westerosi whore comments

Yep, its a ruse basically.

She knows reacting to the comments won't really help her get the unsullied since he would probably just not bother selling to her at that point. So she is going to get what she wants and then she'll show him whats what....melty-face style.

I don't like this change to Jon's motivation or his explanation of it. The one he gave in the books would have taken about three minutes more in an episode already packed but it makes more sense.

His explanation makes...no sense. Well, it does if Mance doesn't push him and just eats his explanations, but Mance probably wouldn't do that. Mormont knew about Craster...so Mormont isn't fighting for the living? So the solution is going with the people that'll almost certainly get the Nightswatch, the only thing standing between the world and the Others, killed? And how are the Wildlings fighting for the living? They're running.

The explanation given in the books works perfectly. Granted it'd require both more set-up now that Mance isn't a bard and might've been implausible but it seems far less implausible than Mance just buying Jon's shit.Jon is simply fed up with being treated like shit. End of. Any man can understand that. And we get to see his bitterness, which is only really explored in one scene for about two seconds.

Why is Ghost with the Nightswatch?

Uhm.....ya....

Why is ghost not with Jon? And why didn't they talk about Jon's being a warg? I know they talked about that during that scene in the book.

Also, I was a bit bummed they cut Mance's trip to Winterfell and the revelation of it to Jon.

I don't like this change to Jon's motivation or his explanation of it. The one he gave in the books would have taken about three minutes more in an episode already packed but it makes more sense.

His explanation makes...no sense. Well, it does if Mance doesn't push him and just eats his explanations, but Mance probably wouldn't do that. Mormont knew about Craster...so Mormont isn't fighting for the living? So the solution is going with the people that'll almost certainly get the Nightswatch, the only thing standing between the world and the Others, killed? And how are the Wildlings fighting for the living? They're running.

The explanation given in the books works perfectly. Granted it'd require both more set-up now that Mance isn't a bard and might've been implausible but it seems far less implausible than Mance just buying Jon's shit.Jon is simply fed up with being treated like shit. End of. Any man can understand that. And we get to see his bitterness, which is only really explored in one scene for about two seconds.

Ya thinking about it Mance still knew who Jon is, Jon could still have mounted a "woe is me the bastard" speech. I think another 20-30 seconds of dialogue there might have been enough possibly.

Archived