[Book Spoilers] Book deviations in this episode

teemo

There are two things that bugged me.

1. the beginning. They didn't show at all how Sam managed to get away from the attack when he was at the start of it last season. I thought they were going to go somewhere with it. I thought he did send the ravens, so that was confusing

2. It didn't make it clear that Dany (and Jorah?) can speak and understand Valyrian, but maybe it will later.

I was going to mention the manticore/child change and Barristan revealing himself right away, but both translate to the screen better this way. I think. But other than that I loved it

I guess instead of returning to the fist to try and send the ravens, he stood behind a rock and pissed himself. Dany can for sure and it seems like Jorah he looks at the guy when he says tell the guy he smells like piss. Dany tries very hard in the books not to respond until the translation happens. As far as the show goes, it would be more of a surprise to find out she didn't need the translator at all or maybe in the show she can't speak High Valaryian.

Why the introduction of Qyburn without a connection to the Mummers/Lannisters? That will be trouble later on…and who will cauterize Jamie’s stump? Well, I guess they could leave him behind with Roose when they bug out for Riverrun, at which point he will become a creature of Roose’s, but he needs that Lannister connection later, so…what gives?? Ugh, the whole thing with Robb still bugs me from last season. The changes better not wreck the impact of the RW.

In one of the trailers there's a shot of Jaime in Harrenhall, with a sling on his arm and Qyburn behind him, so he dresses the wound most likely.

The understanding of Valyrian thing bugged me too, but hope they’ll explain that later when Dany talks to Kraz again.

I suppose the audience is expected to be surprised that she could understand the guy talking the whole time.

Also disappointed that they didn’t let Sam show his developing courage by sending the ravens off. He DID send one wave of them and they DID have messages. He screwed up the second round in the books.

Really? I thought he wrote the messages out, before hand, but when the time came to send them he forgot to put his notes on them.

Wasn't Daenerys fluent in high valrian? She didnt seem too bothered by the westerosi whore comments

Can't read her poker face? Jorah reacts a bit to the knight smells like piss line. Dany keeps her composure except when she's listening to the baby story and when she realizes that the owner is going to hurt one just to make a point....

In the books I don't think Bronn abandons Tyrion until after the PW. I distinctly recall their "parting of ways" conversation when Tyrion tries to convince him to fight Gregor but he declines and mentions that Cersei has already promised him a castle and a wife. So for whoever mentioned it, Bronn still working for Tyrion in Season 3 is not a deviation.

Are they really cutting out Belwas? That would be sad.

Weren't Val and Dalla in the room with Mance when Jon meets them?

The actor that plays Krasnys looks just like Montel Williams.

I did think the Tyrion - Tywin scene was awesome.

Why is ghost not with Jon? And why didn't they talk about Jon's being a warg? I know they talked about that during that scene in the book.

Bad writing??? budget?? Don't know. But in the books, I doubt they would have taken Jon if he wasn't a warg, if he didn't have a huge direwolf to impress them :)

Did you notice when Roose said that he had sent his best "Hunter" to catch jamie? i got the vibe he was refering to Ramsay (who is known for his so called hunting). If Ramsay catches jamie and cuts of his hand, wouldnt that screw up the entire Lannister-bolton alliance? and what about Ramsay and Theon?

Did you notice when Roose said that he had sent his best "Hunter" to catch jamie? i got the vibe he was refering to Ramsay (who is known for his so called hunting). If Ramsay catches jamie and cuts of his hand, wouldnt that screw up the entire Lannister-bolton alliance? and what about Ramsay and Theon?

I think he's referring to Locke.

Either way i am confused, from what we see in the trailers Robb will spend some time in Harrenhal, along with Roose. And since The Brave Companions seems to have been written out of the TV-series (or at least Vargo, according to the wiki), there are only two possible ways that Jamies mutilation can go down:

1. Robb Stark cuts it off to send a Message to the Lannisters, then Robb leaves and Roose frees Jamie to set up the RW scheme

2. Roose/Ramsay (if hes the hunter roose was refering to) does it after Robb leaves Harrenhal, wich would break the possibility of a Lannister-Bolton alliance.

Also, im surprised that the Starks never mentioned the Sack of Winterfell. The word should have reached them now should it not?

Snow never finds the dragonglass(obsidian). So they burn a White Walker? Can you burn a White Walker? I thought that was for wights but never proven of WW. I'm also clueless when it comes to Harranhal. What was that? I think I see how it will go with Locke being Roose's best hunter but no explanation of what was seen in episode 1.

Snow's explanation of why he wants to join Mance was great. I actually liked this better than the book version.

I don't remember the book reason, can you remind me?

Well the way I understood it was that it was kind of ambiguous, whether or not she really did betray him or was being forced into it by Tywin against her will. From Tyrion's perspective of course, she definitively did.

Since it's pretty clear that she actually loves him on the show and she is a "good guy," I don't think she is going to betray him, but he will think she does and kill her. Very sad.

they seemed to be setting that up with the conversation with Tywin

Snow never finds the dragonglass(obsidian). So they burn a White Walker? Can you burn a White Walker? I thought that was for wights but never proven of WW. I'm also clueless when it comes to Harranhal. What was that? I think I see how it will go with Locke being Roose's best hunter but no explanation of what was seen in episode 1.

Mormont burned a wight, not a white walker.

And they needed to get Roose to Harrenhal, job done. Think it was fairly obvious that the Mountain had just butchered the northern prisoners.

Archived