[Book Spoilers] Book deviations in this episode

teemo

Yeah, that was my biggest issue. I know they changed it so that he wasn't at the feast at all that night, but that still works. "And did you see me at the feast? Do you know where the bastard was?"

Too much exposition time, I imagine. So much stuff going on this season a lot of it is going to be streamlined. If anyone thought missing/changed stuff was bad before...

I never understood why Mance thought that Jon being a bastard was reason enough for him to join the wildlings. So what he doesn't like being a bastard? What difference did that make at the Wall, where everyone is equal? Didn't make much sense to me in the book. Jon was much more convincing in the show. My only gripe with that scene in the show was that they cut Mance's tale about infiltrating Robert's feast at Winterfell. That was pretty awesome in the book and I wish they hadn't cut it. Still, there's a chance we might get that tale in another conversation, in another episode.

Littlefinger is sailing away and wants to take Sansa with him? In the end it works out kinda like this but there are many events Sansa has to be in KL for before she leaves. Man I hope they don't totally screw up the weddings in KL.

I'm assuming that Littlefinger's plan to take Sansa with him will be foiled when she marries Tyrion, so it will still ultimately play out somewhat like in the book.

In addition to all of the differences noted above, there is also the fact that Sansa explicitly learns that Arya is alive.

IDHMBIFOM, but I am pretty certain that this is not the case in the books. The only thing I can remember is Sansa thinking, towards the end of aFfC, that it would be wonderful to see Jon Snow again, as all her other siblings are dead.

Why is Ghost with the Nightswatch?

He barked the words . . that is why. I liked the change of story with Ghost kicking butt.

I think the story played down the power of the direwolves too much in the books. Grey Wind and Nymeria are the ones repeatedly kicking butt. Good for Ghost to get some action.

To be fair, Littlefinger didn't really say Arya was alive. He said something like, "Your mother was delighted to hear you're okay... and your sister."

"Arya is alive?"

And he just kind of looked at her. I'm going to rewatch the episode when I get home from work, though, because I feel like I missed a lot of the small stuff while trying to take everything in at once.

I never understood why Mance thought that Jon being a bastard was reason enough for him to join the wildlings. So what he doesn't like being a bastard? What difference did that make at the Wall, where everyone is equal? Didn't make much sense to me in the book.

This is just my opinion, but Mance is also a bastard who never felt at home with the "family" who raised him, the Nights Watch. Purely unintentional to hit the mark on Jon's part, but hit the mark he did.

I am glad they did not talk about the puppies and the Unsullied. I feel weird admitting this but I was way more upset that they had to kill the puppy than I was that they had to kill a baby. I guess it was because they raised the pup for a year and bonded with it. Killing an infant in front of its mother is horrific, but at least they did not have any attachment to it. Great scene in the show I thought.

I am ok with the changes regarding Baristan. They have to shed some of the story lines for tv and I don't think this one will upset the plot in the long run. The same with having the kiddie assassin as trying to explain the Sorrowful Men would take precious time away. It got the point across. I miss Belwas (sp?) though maybe they can bring him in later.

I also understand why they have Littlefinger talking to Sansa too. Again it cuts out a layer of the plot without affecting the story too much. I mean I would love it if they kept it as is, but TV LF is a weak version of book LF, so it fits I suppose. I was more interested in Ros warning Shea about LF. His motivations are so unclear in the book with regard to Sansa IMHO; I can not decide if he is really helping or hurting her. The fact that we get this clear warning makes me wonder if this is not a huge clue. Or maybe I am just so desperate for an inkling of what will happen in future books (since we know the show runners have a vague idea of the outcome of the series) that I am seeing clues where there are none!

As for things that were not in the book, but were in the show I loved Margaery Tyrell's scenes! It really gives you a sense of how the Tyrells plan to play the game.

This was a headscratcher. The CGI looked good, though. Either way, I'm guessing that he reunites with Jon when he reaches the Fist with Mance.

Ghost does not reunite with Jon until Jon returns to Castle Black. In the book, Jon tells Ghost to go to Castle Black prior to him reaching the Wildling camp

It's funny because Margaery Tyrell helping the orphans was exactly what I was thinking of part of how she won the love of the people. Bringing in food for starving people worked. It seems that someone when reading thought there needed to be something extra that won over the city for her. Even though it was not in the books I felt like she was doing something extra that Cersei and Joff weren't aware of. Glad to see a deviation that actually fit what I was thinking there.

Strangely I wasn't too bothered with the changes so far (though no doubt that will change.).

Both Robb at Harrenhal and the opening scene were actually there to fix something they'd messed up in the previous season (i.e Roose not arriving at Harrenhal, and Ghost vanishing.) so while I was pissed we didn't get a battle at the fist I thought both those changes (which I consider the main ones.) where in good spirit at least.

I did not like the portrayal of Tormund. I'd heard better things about Hivju and he seemed to have masses of energy in the interviews I've seen, perfect for playing Tormund. So I'll blame the writing on that. Most of the invented scenes were just characterisation ones which rather than outright plot deviations which have never bothered me too much even if the book scenes are consistently better written. The only one that got on my nerves was the Sansa/LF scene making her look like an idiot.

Ghost does not reunite with Jon until Jon returns to Castle Black. In the book, Jon tells Ghost to go to Castle Black prior to him reaching the Wildling camp

Actually Jon sends Ghost off before climbing the Wall, which looks to be in E6. So hopefully we'll get Ghost and Jon back together next episode or the episode after.

They showed Rickard Karstark and Roose Bolton at the front with Robb as they rode up to Harrenhal (I believe at least) as if they were his two top lieutenants. Is this so that they can set up the Lannister murder he commits and Robb's execution of him? Or because they are going to be trying to include Karstark into the whole RW secret alliance?

Actually Jon sends Ghost off before climbing the Wall, which looks to be in E6. So hopefully we'll get Ghost and Jon back together next episode or the episode after.

Oh, you're right. Either way Ghost shouldn't be with the Nights Watch at this point in the show ;)

It's the first episode I don't want to be so severe with the portrayal of Tormund, although I should say introduction. We still have plenty of time to "know" him as we did it on the books.

What is really bothering me is the scene of Sam and the White Walkers, he was more lost than he was. It kinda devalue what he did in the books.

To be fair, Littlefinger didn't really say Arya was alive. He said something like, "Your mother was delighted to hear you're okay... and your sister."

"Arya is alive?"

Yeah, Littlefinger phrased it as follows: "I saw your mother not long ago. She's very eager to see you. And your sister." There are two ways to interpret that:

1. Not long ago, I saw Catelyn and your sister (implying Arya's with Catelyn).

2. I saw Catelyn not long ago. She's very eager to see you...and your sister.

#2 is technically true--Catelyn's eager to see Arya and Sansa again--but the way he's phrased it makes it sound as if he's seen both of them together. And Littlefinger never answers when Sansa asks "Arya's alive?", suggesting he's letting her believe what he wants her to believe (that she can be reunited with Catelyn and Arya).

Because of the Harrenhal thing, though, I hope we get confirmation on whether Littlefinger actually recognized Arya. I guess we'll see, depending on how the Fake Arya plot is dealt with this season.

I was more interested in Ros warning Shea about LF. His motivations are so unclear in the book with regard to Sansa IMHO; I can not decide if he is really helping or hurting her. The fact that we get this clear warning makes me wonder if this is not a huge clue.

I'm more interested in what Shae is going to do with that little tidbit. Is she going to warn Sansa? Warn Tyrion about LF? The episode synopsis for 3x02 said that Shae is going to ask Tyrion for a favour. Could it have something to do with Ros' warning?

Littlefinger is sailing away and wants to take Sansa with him? In the end it works out kinda like this but there are many events Sansa has to be in KL for before she leaves. Man I hope they don't totally screw up the weddings in KL.

Well, assuming that Littlefinger's not lying here (which is fair enough, since TV Littlefinger seems more bumbling than Book Littlefinger), it almost sounds as if there are going to be two plans:

Plan A: Get permission from Tywin to go to the Vale to woo Lysa (the "assignment" Petyr referenced in 3x01), nab Sansa on a moment's notice and smuggle her out on the way to the Vale. No amethyst hairnet, no waiting until the PW, no Tyrell involvement in the plot in this point, just get up and go.

I'm thinking Plan A gets sunk when Littlefinger tries to fetch Sansa or tell her he's heading out and she refuses to go with him, saying she's going to marry the Tyrell instead. Littlefinger leaves anyway, goes to the Vale, pitches woo. (Either he tells someone before he leaves about the marriage plot or someone else reveals the truth.) While he's away, Sansa is married off to Tyrion. By the time he returns, Sansa is already married, the RW has happened, and Sansa is even more desperate to get out of KL. Plan B comes into effect.

Plan B: Amethyst hairnet and PW.

There was no Plan A/Plan B in the books, obviously, but this seems to be the way the show is going.

Archived