[Book Spoilers] Book deviations in this episode

teemo

The most massive difference is Barristan revealing his identity. I have absolutely no idea how they are going to do Jorah falling out with Dany. When this happens in the book Barristan reveals about Jorah being a spy. I can't see that happening too early this series at all. Which suggests something happens to trigger this. I am beginning to suspect that they will say that Jorah has been sending reports all the way up to Mereen or maybe that Barristan finds some proof of him doing so since Qaarth. Not sure how they're going to resolve that one.

Telling us it was the Warlocks who tried to have Dany killed.

Okay, my memory is a little hazy on this point. Did that scene with Sam replace him killing the other with obsidian? I mean they established giving him the obsidian beforehand it seems odd to not give him it here. I suspect it might be that they save this confrontation for later. Possibly at Crasters Keep in fact since we saw a screen of that White Walker and its in the hut that Sam tells Mormont about it.

Bit surprised they changed the giants look to be much more human than they are in the books. I was actually expecting them to be smaller in stature but still look the same and was completely wrong. They actually looked bigger than I imagined in the books. Actually makes me wonder what a giantess looks like. Guess it wasn't quite as bad for Tormund in the series version then. :laugh:

Also, why is Margery Tyrell Princess Diana?

The only difference which annoyed me was blaming Sam for not sending the ravens. That made no sense because of where he was sent and that I don't think it was even established this was his responsibility.

All these changes have me thinking there is no way in heck that we're going to see ASOIAF in it's entirety in TV.

Season three and four are apparently the thing the producers were working towards. Also it has been mentioned that this season will have more deviations from the book than earlier seasons.

This makes me think they're setting the show up for some kind of premature ending (as far as ASOIAF goes). I'm expecting the fourth season to be the last. :(

I never expected a $5.000.000 per episode production to make it the whole 7 books, (which is probably about 9-10 seasons if they keep splitting books up), but I'm getting a feeling season 4 is the end of the line.

I hate people who complain about the show not following the books! books and i

The reason i watch the show is to see the difference from the enjoy it, even george has said people who are proper loyal to the books do his head in. I usually like the changes with the show and the writers know the end of the series so they aren't going to change anything major. just because a wight has a axe and mormont kills it isn't big enough to complain about. In the books if i remember sam sends the birds but does not write anything down so there is no difference.

The reason i watch the show is to see the difference from the enjoy it, even george has said people who are proper loyal to the books do his head in. I usually like the changes with the show and the writers know the end of the series so they aren't going to change anything major. just because a wight has a axe and mormont kills it isn't big enough to complain about. In the books if i remember sam sends the birds but does not write anything down so there is no difference.

Yes, but you don't say a character fucked up for a job he was never given. Thats not changing things thats really slipping up and not making sense. He was his stewart, he was ordered to be at the base of the fist and nowhere near the peak so could not possibly have completed his duties. Its a really bizarre scene and an example of poor adaptation.

Yeah, but Mel still says what she says...hey, boys, if I was there, none of it would have happened, so, its not that much of a deviation as it is a simplification, because when Davos shows back up on Dragonstone Stannis is seeing and listening to no one but Mel, I'm just not sure how they're going to get Davos back out of the dungeon since in books he never actually attempts to kill Red Dress....

I would think fairly easily. In the book, Melisandre saw his intent to murder her in the flames. She then gets Stannis to release hIm, when she realizes how loyal he is to him.

It looks like they're doing a lot more with Mel at least this season (I dunno about Davos or Stannis) just based on the fact that she's seen with Thoros and has a sex scene with another character (Gendey?)

Pardon the threadjack, but the teaser for ep 2 is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYgpEMlcQgc

So we are getting Arya, Bran and Jaime, plus the introduction of the Queen of Thorns. Although Theon hasn't been shown, judging from reviews, he'll be in this episode 2.

-I'm surprised that we're getting Jaime vs Brienne so early. They really seem to be rushing his arc, especially with the bear pit scene being in episode 7 rather than ep 9 or 10.

- Arya meets Thoros, and seems to have a confrontation in an inn. Could we see Harwin in this episode?

-Really excited to see Sansa's scene with Marge and Olenna.

-Even more excited to see Theon's torture.

-Summer looks great. I suspect the Reeds get introduced in this episode as well.

-Orell appears to see the massacre at the Fist through warging his eagle.

Was anyone else uncomfortable with the exchange between Tywin and Tyrion? When I read it in the books, it was awful enough, but to see Peter Dinklage taking those verbal blows was making me quesy. I don't think the exchange between Cersei and Tyrion added anything meaningful to the plot at all. Pod did get Bronn out of Chatalays and brings him to Tyrion, but in the book he has been knighted, has Lollys as a wife and soon a bastard son from the rape(s). Remember, he names his son Tyrion!

Also, probably shouldn't enter the book deviations thread then.

-I'm surprised that we're getting Jaime vs Brienne so early. They really seem to be rushing his arc, especially with the bear pit scene being in episode 7 rather than ep 9 or 10.

My theory on this is that PW is going to happen in episode 10, and that episode 9 will be near "Blackwater" level focus on just the RW characters, so that basically just gives episode 8 and/or bit of 10 for Jaime's arc prior to his post-PW arrival in KL (which will be the first thing we see of him in season 4).

I actually think the last 3 episodes of this season will be a sort of 3 part finale, with a few story-lines wrapping in episodes 8, the obvious ones in the RW focused episode 9, and then I think 10 should start off with maybe some minor post RW catch up with Arya, and then the rest only be Tyrion/Sansa/Jon/Danny POV, so thePW, attack onCB, and the taking of Yunkai.

I would think fairly easily. In the book, Melisandre saw his intent to murder her in the flames. She then gets Stannis to release hIm, when she realizes how loyal he is to him.

It looks like they're doing a lot more with Mel at least this season (I dunno about Davos or Stannis) just based on the fact that she's seen with Thoros and has a sex scene with another character (Gendey?)

I know there's a scene with Davos and Stannis talking in the dungeons. I think Stannis will "apologize", in his Stannis way (Stannis does not simply apologize), saying that he arrested Davos to stop him from doing something stupid and that they are all on the same side and should make amends. I think that's when he'll say his line about duty that we saw in the "No Mercy" trailer.

If we can have Arya incognito with Tywin, then we could allso have Barristan incognito with Dany

Very good point! I never thought of it like that. I'm curious how they're going to go about Dany finding out about Jorah now, and its rather upsetting that she's only going to be pissed with Jorah and not the both of them. Ohh well.

If we can have Arya incognito with Tywin, then we could allso have Barristan incognito with Dany

Disagree. Arya had to stay incognito, since revealing herself to Tywin would obviously return her to King's Landing. Barristan doesn't have much to lose by revealing himself. He's already exiled, and is begging Dany's forgiveness. Arya's reasons for staying incognito are far, far stronger than Barristan's.

I didn't create the thread to bitch and complain, just to sort out the differences between the book and show. Is it really that crazy to enjoy knowing the differences? I find it interesting to know what they've changed and discuss the reasoning behind it. Sheesh. I actually liked the episode.

Archived