[Book Spoilers] Book deviations in this episode

teemo

I actually thought the Giant looked great. That was probably my second or third favourite scene this episode (the others being the Unsullied and Tywin/Tyrion.). He wasn't as described in the books but he looked sufficiently inhuman for me anyway. I think the look was an artistic decision rather than a budget one.

I'm not saying the giant looked bad, just...bland. He looked like a standard fantasy giant, and I don't think that's the effect that Martin was going for in the books.

Wasn't Illyrio supposed to have a yellow-beard and be about 4 times as fat? I don't think they will be doing many of the ridiculous hairstyles.

Yes, Illyrio was changed too. But for him the changes didn't seem so important. For the Ghiscari, their elaborate hairstyles are an important part of their culture. That's why the Shavepate makes such a big deal out of cutting his hair. Anyway, as I said, I am willing to look at it as just a cosmetic thing, not something that would "ruin" the show for me

BTW: about the Quartheen gowns mentioned by another poster. They aren't that ridiculous. I know ancient Egyptians used them, and maybe some other cultures too. Modesty may have been a reason to exclude them from the show, but the show never cared about modesty to begin with.

I'm just lost as to what went down at Harrenhal, was there a battle, why were all the northmen dead, where is the mountain?

The Mountain evacuated Harrenhall without a fight (as Robb was expecting) and killed all the northern prisoners before that. We know from S2 that the Crown is using Harrenhall as a prisoner camp, and now all those prisoners are dead.

The purpose of the scene is just to show Harrenhall changing hands, to introduce Quyburn and to set up Bolton's rule there, all things which should have been done in Season 2.

Ugh, I hated the reason Jon gave Mance. The books explanation was so much better. The whole exchange last night felt very rushed and incomplete to me.

Oh I liked the book version a lot, while I was reading it. But I don't think it would have translated well into the flow of episode one. They needed to focus on a bunch of story lines and with whatever time they could give Jon, they had to have him also taken in by Mance. And that line I felt had just the right impact.

"I want to fight for the side that fights for the living. Have I come to the right place?"

"We'll need to get you a new cloak"

It also lays a good foundation for the future of Jon's character development.

Ugh, I hated the reason Jon gave Mance. The books explanation was so much better. The whole exchange last night felt very rushed and incomplete to me.

I wasn't a fan either, I wanted the convo to go exactly as it did in the book -- however, I think they needed to work in the fact that Jon saw a WW taking Craster's son last season... Since it didn't happen in the books, it would be silly to fabricate that whole scene without reason... using what he saw/Mormon's reaction as one of his "reasons for turning his cloak" makes last years scene more applicable to the overall story.

And they can still add in Mance knowing Jon from Winterfell in any later convo, cuz they left the lead into it place ("You're Ned Stark's bastard")... they can revisit that anytime now that that line is in.

Edit: typo

Oh I liked the book version a lot, while I was reading it. But I don't think it would have translated well into the flow of episode one. They needed to focus on a bunch of story lines and with whatever time they could give Jon, they had to have him also taken in by Mance. And that line I felt had just the right impact.

"I want to fight for the side that fights for the living. Have I come to the right place?"

Yeah, I understand why they did it. Just not happy that they did it :)

Did LF recognize Arya at Harrenhal??

beacuse he said to Sansa that he saw her sister

See Newstar's concise (and excellent) analysis of what LF said, and the ambiguous meanings it could have had (upthread). I think at this point we can only wait to see what happens in future episodes to determine what the real meaning was behind LF's words.

I'm not saying the giant looked bad, just...bland. He looked like a standard fantasy giant, and I don't think that's the effect that Martin was going for in the books.

Yes, Illyrio was changed too. But for him the changes didn't seem so important. For the Ghiscari, their elaborate hairstyles are an important part of their culture. That's why the Shavepate makes such a big deal out of cutting his hair. Anyway, as I said, I am willing to look at it as just a cosmetic thing, not something that would "ruin" the show for me

BTW: about the Quartheen gowns mentioned by another poster. They aren't that ridiculous. I know ancient Egyptians used them, and maybe some other cultures too. Modesty may have been a reason to exclude them from the show, but the show never cared about modesty to begin with.

The Mountain evacuated Harrenhall without a fight (as Robb was expecting) and killed all the northern prisoners before that. We know from S2 that the Crown is using Harrenhall as a prisoner camp, and now all those prisoners are dead.

The purpose of the scene is just to show Harrenhall changing hands, to introduce Quyburn and to set up Bolton's rule there, all things which should have been done in Season 2.

I thought as much, Thanks

I really did not like how they started the episode. Sam hasn't had any character development in terms of courage and I really enjoy how brave he gets in the 3rd book. The fact that Ghost rescued him was pretty iffy for me. Not to mention, why on earth are we left to assume that every single white walker walked right on by him? I'm disappointed that they didn't make more of that scene.

Also, where is Belwas!? He's too hilarious to leave out! :(

will they ever reveal the whole mance at winterfell thing?

I kind of doubt it. If I remember correctly Jon didn't even go to the feast in the show, he was simply outside training. But perhaps they'll work it in later. They easily could.

I may be in the minority but I thought that was actually a much better reason than the reason given in the book, but then I also thought Strong Belwas was wholly unnecessary, LOL.

I'm getting a little worried about Kit Harrington though, he seems really flat, I'm starting to wish the guy playing Robb Stark was Jon Snow, he's more charismatic and seems to have a wider range.

Did they change it? Doesn't he talk Stannis out of taking Mel in the book too?

Yep but he blames ?Imry? Florent in the book for sailing the entire fleet over the chain and into a trap. He also blames his bannerman for persuading him to keep Saladoor's fleets at the vanguard as oppose to the front where they would have been much more use and lastly he mainly puts the defeat down to Tywin's surprise attack.

Well, just saw the episode, and boy do I say "shiat"

Jon's encounter with Mance is such a downer! What of the raven's helm? No Abel/Bael background either?

Sam, not even capable of sending ravens?

Tywin, so prettified in the season 2 now looks as a petty crook rather than anything else. His dynamics with Tyrion is all wrong too

Danny got fatter irrespective of her crossing deserts and fighting wars

The whole episode, kind of reminded the hate for screen adaptations of great books.

Well, just saw the episode, and boy do I say "shiat"

Jon's encounter with Mance is such a downer! What of the raven's helm? No Abel/Bael background either?

Sam, not even capable of sending ravens?

Tywin, so prettified in the season 2 now looks as a petty crook rather than anything else. His dynamics with Tyrion is all wrong too

Danny got fatter irrespective of her crossing deserts and fighting wars

The whole episode, kind of reminded the hate for screen adaptations of great books.

Whaat? The Tywin scene was spot on and perfectly delivered by Charles Mance too...There's a lot you can criticize in this episode, but that?

Also, Dany spent time in Qarth being courted by XXD...so that can be easily justified (And she didn't get that much fatter either, I didn't even notice it...)

Yep but he blames ?Imry? Florent in the book for sailing the entire fleet over the chain and into a trap. He also blames his bannerman for persuading him to keep Saladoor's fleets at the vanguard as oppose to the front where they would have been much more use and lastly he mainly puts the defeat down to Tywin's surprise attack.

Yeah, but Mel still says what she says...hey, boys, if I was there, none of it would have happened, so, its not that much of a deviation as it is a simplification, because when Davos shows back up on Dragonstone Stannis is seeing and listening to no one but Mel, I'm just not sure how they're going to get Davos back out of the dungeon since in books he never actually attempts to kill Red Dress....

What? To me, it looked like Dany lost weight. One of my friends who is in love with her was kind of grossed out by her this episode, saying she looked "gaunt" and "look what stardom did to her." (pressure to lose weight).

Archived