What Happened At Harrennhal?

Ramsay Gimp

well in the book....Roose was taken prisoner there from the battle of the gold fork.....being that there was no "weasel soup" to spring the prisoners they had to have a way for Bolton to get there....I think all the dead were to show the devistation the Lannisters are creating in the riverlands and to plant dissent abmong the northern lords.....to show how Robb loses his grip on his coalition even though he's won every battle.....

I found the scene confusing. I couldn't find an explanation for it within the show's narrative as there was no mention of northern prisoners last season, nor could I reconcile it with the book's happening.

I thought the whole Robb sequence was clumsily done, tbh. But that's nothing new for the show when it comes to Robb & Catelyn. For some reason, the writers just can't seem to get a decent grip on those two or their arc.

I'm not sure why it's confusing. Robb is clearly pissed off that the Lannisters are evading him, not meeting him or his armies on the field, and instead slaughtering their men (prisoners) and evading confrontation. This is an easy choice for them to make since Tywin is quite confident that he will win the war in another way and doesn't want to needlessly suffer any losses to his own strength.

It also sets up Roose in Harrenhall, his meeting with Qyburn, and the eventual Jaime arc that happens there once Locke captures him.

It actually fits quite nicely even if it is a change.

The 200 northen prisoners were probably from the Green fork. What is everyone's take on Jeromy(Jason?) Mallister being found dead there ?

had a minor panic attack i thought they were going to kill my favorite book minor character in Jasonand family.

Its going to show this season that the Gregor is a monster we hear about it in season 1 and 2 butnever see it but with the brotherhood fighting him its going to show tv viewers that he is mental. So during tyrions trial it will make us side with oberyn more.

i was super confused too. i was rereading all the harrenhal stuff on the wiki, trying to fit this in with all of it... i don't understand why it was told this way.

500 hundred northmen died they said. What the fuck are northmen doing there?

Exactly. Bolton left longago, and the castle was in control of Sir Clegane.

I guess they were some kind of prisoners, but I dont remember that from the books.

I'm not sure why it's confusing. Robb is clearly pissed off that the Lannisters are evading him, not meeting him or his armies on the field, and instead slaughtering their men (prisoners) and evading confrontation. This is an easy choice for them to make since Tywin is quite confident that he will win the war in another way and doesn't want to needlessly suffer any losses to his own strength.

It also sets up Roose in Harrenhall, his meeting with Qyburn, and the eventual Jaime arc that happens there once Locke captures him.

I thought Bolton was at Harrenhal first, the he left it with the sellsowrd company... then I thought that Tywin came to take it back...

I must be confused...

I thought Bolton was at Harrenhal first, the he left it with the sellsowrd company... then I thought that Tywin came to take it back...

I must be confused...

I thought so too, but apparently it's the other way around. Which sort of makes sense because the most recent Harrenhal, scene in the series was when Jaime and Brienne were captured by the brave companions and given to Roose who was presiding over Harrenhal, which is probably what they're trying to set up in the show. (Fingers crossed that a Jaime/Roose meeting will mean we get "Jaime Lannister sends his regards").

The whole Harrenhal thing was very contrived just to get Roose and Qyburn there for Jaime and Brienne's arrival. If they had just done weasel soup last season it would have worked out much better. This was definitely the lowest point of the episode though. It's getting to the point where Robb and Catelyn need to be put out of their misery lol. However, the rest of the episode was great in my opinion and very true to the books for the most part.

I really don`t see what`s so confusing about this scene.

Exactly. I really don`t understand what was so confusing about that scene. I guess people are still watching the show expecting an exact copy of the books though.

Well I was a bit confused, despite the fact that I got that the change was needed to put Roose there, but I like your explanation for the slaughtering of the prisoners.

I have to say that the only people that are confused are book readers since they don't get that the Harenhal stuff has been altered and this is making them overthink the scene.

In S2, the Lannisters held Harenhal with the Mountain running the show before and after Tywin blew in and out. When Arya arrived (as a prisoner of Amory Lorch), there were clearly tons of prisoners all over the place which we would assume would have been taken by the Lannister armies in their battles against Robb's armies in the Riverlands. Now were they "Northmen" technically? Probably more likely people from the Riverlands but certainly men who had joined up in the battle with the Tully's and Starks. "Northmen" appears to just be the show's shorthand for "people loyal to Robb".

So Arya leaves at the end of S2, all the other prisoners are still there. Then, at the start of S3, Robb rides up with his army to take Harenhal from the Mountain, while telling Roose that all of the Lannister armies lately have been ducking him and that he and his men would rather have a real fight soon. He notices the dead bodies swaying in the galley's on top of the walls of Harrenhal and tells Roose that he doesn't think there's going to be a battle here either.

They then enter Harenhal, seeing that it's deserted by the Mountain and all his men. They've killed and strung up all the prisoners throughout the courtyard before they left as a present for Robb. There's old men and women so it's not really soldiers we're talking about, more likely just innocent villagers loyal to the Stark cause who were taken in for information the way Arya and crew were. To add to the theory that it's probably more Riverlands folk than anyone else, the only dead person identified is a Mallister who Cat says is a bannerman to her father.

I am having a hard time coming up any other way to read the scene and am surprised there are a few here who didn't get this.

Clegane fled before Robb could engage him and killed the prisoners he had. Why the confusion? Didn't bother me too much tbh. They were just prisoners there and were slaughtered. Bit sad that they dropped the weasel soup, but oh well.

Spoiler

My guess with the story is that Robb will leave Bolton and Qyburn at Harrenhall, Bolton's hunter will catch Jaime and they'll cut of the hand, Qyburn treats it here.

Yup. Robb will leave for Riverrun next episode most likely, Bolton needs some screentime as well. Viewers are already familiar with the location from last season too (even though I'm sure a few thought it was Winterfell)

just to clear the confusion....in the book....Bolton and his army are captured at one of the battles and is sent to Harrenhal....Arya ...realizing who it was< devises a plan to spring the prisoners after Tywin and the Mountain leave Harrenhal leaving behind a skeleton crew (mainly sellswods...goat). After Arya frees the norhmen(weasel soup) she finds a way to escape with gendry and Hotpie .....leaving Bolton at Harrenhal. When Jamie and Brienne are captured by the sellswords....they find Bolton there and the sellswords change allegiance to the North. After Bolton leaves for the twins and Jamie and Bienne sent back to kings landing with Qyburn.....Clegane comes back and kills all the goats men.....But in the show....being that Bolton was never captured and (weasel soup) soup never happens....they have to find a way to get bolton to Harrenhal,....and them just riding up is the perfect way I guess.....I guess it's a good way to begin to sew dissent toward Robb and and you could see Bolton and Karstark begin to doubt his leadership.....especially after seeing all the dead.

Archived