[Book Spoilers] So, did Littlefinger recognize Arya at Harrenhal?

Ice Turtle

First I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that we never got Tywin's reaction when we learns that Cersei doesn't have Arya, they even made it a topic of few conversations in season 2.

But more to the topic, Littlefinger tells Sansa what could be understood as I saw your sister or your sister is eager to see you. Either way he is telling Arya is alive.

So did he recognize Arya at Harrenhal or is he feeding Sansa with lies, maybe setting foundations for fake Arya plot?

For now I think it's more likely that he is lying (fewer potholes), but I really hope they make it clear in next episodes. What do you think?

It's impossible to know, really. He definitely did a double-take in Tywin's solar at Harrenhal, but who knows whether he really recognized Arya or not.

He has lied to Catelyn about Cersei having Arya already, so it wouldn't be surprising if he's just lying to Sansa as well.

Personally, I don't think he recognized Arya fully at Harrenhal. I think that LF, opportunist that he is, would have found some way to get Arya out of Harrenhal if that was the case, and wouldn't have let such a prized bargaining piece on her own to (most likely) die in the wilderness.

I think he did recognise her. There was a slight tilt of the head when he saw Arya last season that suggested to me that Littlefinger was thinking "well, shit.." So yeah, I think he knew it was her.

But knowledge is power to Littlefinger, remember. He will tell Sansa all she needs to know for his own nefarious needs.

Edit: Above: Yeah, the double-take at Harrenhal. That's the look I meant.

I agree with this but it doesn't really make sense that he wouldn't do anything about it.

:agree: Pretty much this. Arya is one of the most prized and valuable bargaining pieces in the entire War of the Five Kings, sister to the King in the North, LF finds out she's Tywin's temp. cupbearer, and just leaves her there?

Does he think she'll be safe? Or that she'll stay there indefinitely? Why did he not try to go back and collect her when Tywin left Harrenhal? Anyone's best guess is that she would have died at or near Harrenhal had she tried to escape, it just doesn't make any sense to leave her there, given her immense worth.

I agree with this but it doesn't really make sense that he wouldn't do anything about it.

He had bigger fish to fry, he was working on an alliance between Lannister and Tyrells when he saw her. He can't exactly grab her at that point they'd say something to him when he leaves.

Also, how does he know that Tywin doesn't know who Arya is? He should very much suspect that Tywin doesn't but there would've been no way for him to ask Tywin without pointing out her identity.

It does make sense to not say anything because it's classic Littlefinger. He describes himself as thriving on chaos. I think in his eyes this gives him a hidden card to play. He's playing for himself, not for the Lannisters or the Starks. So revealing her to Tywin doesn't help him win over Cat. Nor does helping her at Harrenhall while the war was still in doubt. Things have changed now, the Lannister are on top and he's in a much better situation. So he'll help Sansa now.

Wouldn't he have already done that though and i assume he would of realized by now that Tywin didn't take her with him to KL.

Yes, he would. I thought we were speaking of the moment when he realised it.

There is another possibility that LF realised who she was only after leaving Harrenhal and could not go back there to kidnap her or anything. Extremely unlikely, though.

But what does him recognizing Arya even mean? It doesn't add anything to the story imo. I think he is just lying.

Agreed. Unless the shows adds in some new storyline, I'm sticking with Littlefinger bullshitting.

Archived