Books or Show first?

John Milner

If you read the books first, you don't ruin the show. It's much easier to sit through the show for an hour (times 10 per season) and anticipate how they will portray the things you have read, than it is watching the show first, and then sitting through hundreds of pages of the books when you already know the punch line

This was my experience having watched the first season and then read all the books...

I watched season one without reading the books. Like a lot of people it was how I discovered the books. Then I had to read because I needed to know what happened. If you watch the show first you will probaly want to read them (and will do whatever to get them) because you will want any piece of info. And vice versa.

I tried reading the first book and I was SO LOST. There were so many characters and different things going on. I watched the first season and was so into it, I couldn't stop...I just watched all three seasons, I was obsessed.

Then I went back to the book and tried again from the begining and it worked out much better for me. I had a solid foundation and was more comfortable with who was who and so on. Obviously the books are WAY better then the show and much more detailed. I just started Feast for Crows, so my plan is finish reading the series, re-watch the TV show with all my new book knowlege and then re-read the books from the begining.

Did I mention that I'm obsessed? ;)

• 3 months later...

I have first started watching the show (my bad) and this is what made me want to read the books ( I just started reading them, well) - I do think reading the book first would be somehow better, but then someone mightn't find the series as good. I am going to read the books this summer (I mean, not all of them, I won't probably have the time to finish all of them, but i will keep reading this summer -season 4 is ending, anyway). It is true that the book is way richer than the TV show. It's also very interesting written. In the end, it doesn't really matter what you do first, they are both very good :)

I only very recently started watching the HBO show regualalry. Used to be I'd catch it when I felt like it. But I've been reading the books since aGoT came out. I was so worried that HBO would ruin my favorite series that I just stayed away. I kept hearing that they were doing GRRM justice so I finally just binge watched all the episodes and now I watch every week.

I agree that they are both very good. But sometimes I do miss some things that don't make it into the show--like the full House of the Undying scene. It's my favorite chapter in the whole series and it got shortchanged quite a bit in the show. BUT, on the other hand, I like how consicse and tight GoT is on HBO. It'll be interesting to see how they do AFFC and ADWD over the next two years (I assume).

I think it's better to read the books first because when you see the show you know what is going to happen, and i think the books are better than the show.

Still, it can take many months to get through the 5 books if you are not an avid reader. That's a bit long for someone excited about the TV show. I think a good compromise would be to read A Game Of Thrones first and foremost and then watch season 1 right after. Following that you can read A Clash Of Kings and then go for season 2 and so on.

So you can have it both ways by not waiting too long, yet having prior knowledge of the books.

Archived