Should i Finish aCoK ?

Valyria&Essos

Hello westeros fans! :D

I'm new here but was and still and avid fan of the series since it first aired in 2011. Just lately, i decided to read the books trying to catch up with them before season 3 starts, so i bought the first 3, finished GoT and i am like 300 pages into aCoK which is too bad since i planned to start the 3rd book before this season's premiere starts... Needless to say that i'm so confused and lost specially that aCoK is a bit different than the book i'm reading, so i decided to give it a break, did a "marathon watch" of the first two previous seasons so i could watch the first episode of season 3...Now after watching it, i don't know what to do? Im a slow reader, and the show has started again, i enjoy the books but i wanna know what's gonna happen further, so should i just quit reading aCofK and skip to storm of swords? or should i just stay away from the show and continue my reading until i catch up with book 3, although this last solution is kind of hard. lol Any thoughts?

NB English isn't my first language so sorry if i didn't make myself clear...

I will of course! I even planned, if i will ever skip it, go back to it later when i finish the third book so.. the issue for me is that should i or shouldn't i watch the show now -season 3- coz it can get so conufsing for me, reading ACOK and at the same time watching it..

thanks for sharing your option tho. Much appreciated!

The books are great; the events are much more detailed, and you'll get to meet a lot of different characters, know the real thoughts of the POVs, and learn some of their fantastic dialogues. You'll encounter/discover/experience things that were not used or shown in the tv show also.

But it's your own preference. I know with the show going on, it's quite tempting not to watch especially when people kept talking about it. Someone might accidentally spoiled a thing to you though and ruin your excitement, unless you're okay with spoilers. And surely there are a lot of people out there who have watched and loved the show and never read the book, but decided to read the books afterwards and still enjoyed them.

Whichever you choose, just enjoy :cheers: and let's all meet up here later.

Thank you Snow wight walker! :)) I decided to go on with the book -aCoK- and i'm planning to finish it before the next episode comes up on sunday. lol

Hard, i don't know if i'm gonna be able to manage that since i'm a slow reader but i'll give it a try anyways. :D

I just want to reach book 3 and read most of it while the show (season 3 ) is still on. Wanna read stuff that i never saw on the show like real events and enjoy them not just the details i got and the Pov of different characters while reading book 1 and 2. (coz obviously, i've seen the show before reading them so i knew most of what's gonna happen). Don't want to do the same with this season and i would love to be way ahead, for once! lol

Thank you Snow wight walker! :)) I decided to go on with the book -aCoK- and i'm planning to finish it before the next episode comes up on sunday. lol

Hard, i don't know if i'm gonna be able to manage that since i'm a slow reader but i'll give it a try anyways. :D

I just want to reach book 3 and read most of it while the show (season 3 ) is still on. Wanna read stuff that i never saw on the show like real events and enjoy them not just the details i got and the Pov of different characters while reading book 1 and 2. (coz obviously, i've seen the show before reading them so i knew most of what's gonna happen). Don't want to do the same with this season and i would love to be way ahead, for once! lol

Once you get to ASoS you'll probably end up battering through it in like two days :P

Good to know that! :D I always hear that it's the best book out of the saga, so i'll finish this one and see for myself ;)

I would probably go as far as to say it's the best book I've ever read ;)

Do yourself a favour and read the book's. It was the TV show that got me into the series and it is brilliant, BUT seriously read the book's it's the difference between an ice cold beer on a hot day and shit from a stone man's ass!!!!! Sorry if that was too descriptive.

READ THE BOOK! Whoops, I got a bit caps crazy-anyways- I have spoiled so many things for myself and the books have so much more detail and information that I still enjoy them even If I know what is going to happen. I repeat what many have said already, but it must be said as much as possible. Read the book. I am about halfway through ACoK and If it were not for School and Work, Family and Friends, and comic books I would not put it down. It is always with me. I am obsessed D:

• 2 weeks later...

First Post

I'm in exactly the same position I started reading book 1 after watching Seasons 1 & 2. I love the books potentially more than the show, (that's saying something). I was hoping to have book 2 finished as well before season 3. No chance I just don't have the time in life. So I am watching Season 3 while half way through book 2. To be honest it kind of works that I am now about a whole season behind, so it is helpfully reminding me of some of the intricacies.

For me the moment we started seing dream sequences, and memories about Ned's sister in Book 1 I was hooked on the books. I've made my theory on Snow, and now want to carry on reading for the hints!

My new plan is to keep reading while watching season 3. I would love to have finished book 2 & 3 for season 4 on tv.

A final thought, for me, aSoIaF is a series worth not just skim reading back actually reading properly, which is tad hard with the length of them. Every time i get tempted to not really read one of the PoV Characters proper (looking at you Sansa and Catelyn) something big happens in their chapter or they are my only window into non PoV Characters i like.

• 1 month later...

They changed/cutted a lot of things in the seond season, some of these changes really frustraded me, so read the books.

Some changes that frustrated me were:

Replacing Jeane with Talisa and cut that way all Westerlings and Spicers out, cutting really all Florents out (Selyse, Shireen, Alester, Axel, Edric Storm,...), I really hated wath they did in Winterfel, the house of the undying was a huge dissapointment, cutting the scenes where Roose Bolten took Harrenhal thanks to Arya, changing the personality of Cersei, Tywin, Shae and LF, ruining Jaime's character by letting him kill that boy, replacing Cleos with Alton, changing Asha's name, appearance and personality and many other things where I can't think of now.

Archived