Robb/Cat at Harrenhall

freetickles

Don't think this involves book spoilers. I was confused by Robb sending Catelyn to a cell at Harrenhall upon finding the carnage there. What was the purpose of that --- is the logic that releasing Jaime somehow lead to the Mountain executing all those northerners? Why would he punish her now, and not back in the field when she freed Jaime? I realize he had guards on her at camp, but he could have had her in a cage. Throwing her in a dungeon seems to be ratcheting that up.

Yeah, I didn't like how the jump was made in the conversation from Gregor Clegane to the Kingslayer. Jaime Lannister obviously wasn't responsible for the deaths at Harrenhal.

Personally, I think they just wanted to foreshadow the traiterous scum that Roose will become when he hands Jaime Lannister back to Tywin. His first direct act of treachery prior to RW

But yes, with regards to Catelyn, he's punishing her for her earlier crime, as Ran said.

Robb arriving at Harrenhal in the beginning of the new season is a fairly clever way of re-introducing Roose Bolton and Rickard Karstark. TV viewers are probably not well aware of who they are.

Robb is going to leave Harrenhal and head for the Riverlands (from which I think he will plan an attack on Casterly Rock or surrounding lands). He will leave Bolton in charge and leave him a maester, Qyburn. From then on, it'll be a lot like it is in the books.

Putting Bolton in Harrenhal in a new, fresh season adds more build up, clarity and less refreshing the memory for TV viewers.

And like I said. they're doing the same thing with Rickard Karstark as he is shown along Bolton in the first episode. The promo of episode 2 shows another interaction between Robb and Rickard, maybe on the road to Riverrun? Maybe the title "dark wings, dark words" refers to

the death of Hoster Tully

I thought that it was pretty clear from the episode that the reason Robb sent Cat to a cell in Harrenhal is to appease his men. He looks up at all of his Northern soldiers just before he sends her away.

Maybe I just misinterpreted that scene entirely.

I think that the Mountain executed all his prisoners when he heard that Robb no longer holds Jaime, so there's no fear of a reprisal. That's why attention suddenly shifts to Cat, and why he makes a show of finding her a cell.

They could have explained it better. I feel like part of that sequence was cut.

I thought that it was pretty clear from the episode that the reason Robb sent Cat to a cell in Harrenhal is to appease his men. He looks up at all of his Northern soldiers just before he sends her away.

Maybe I just misinterpreted that scene entirely.

I think you interpret it perfectly. I find it to be pretty obvious that the big problem with Catelyn releasing Jaime is that it causes division within Robb's ranks and he needs to do what he can to appease his men, while at the same time of course not wanting to treat his mother too badly.

The show is doing a bad job imo at building rob up. I am actually starting to like Roose more than Rob.

You're saying that as if liking Roose is a bad thing. The more the viewers like Roose, the more effective his betrayal is.

my dislike of what D&D have done to Robb's characteris well documented and this opening sequence for his storyline while confusing in someways certainly establishes where they are going with the season.

1. sets up Bolton at Harrenhall

2. Reminds views of Karstarks anger

3. Meeting Qyburn

4. Informs viewers hunters are seeking Jaimie

5. Reestablishes the relationship between Cat and his mother-which is one of the basic problems I have with the show robb, I think the northmen would be more angry with Robb over losing several thousand Frey soldiers than the release of the Kingslayer (Karstark excluded)

6. Reminds viewers that the Tullys are supporting Robb and paying a price

I can forgive the plot hole I suppose given it sets up where D&D are driving this season's arc.

The show is doing a bad job imo at building rob up. I am actually starting to like Roose more than Rob.

than the show does something right imo. I think I need to explain myself. Yes as a person a like Robb better, wouldn't want Roose in my friendlist. But as a character I always found Roose in the books intriguing and Robb not so. Yes I liked Cat, but Robb was never there, and when he was in the books, he always did something stupid imo.

But maybe they wanted us too like Roose. stated above why.

More explanation as to who the northmen were would have been well received. The scene just seemed out of the blue robb goes from all the way east to all the way west, now back to the Riverlands?

Robb showed up in force to siege a castle and there's not a living soul there? Wtf? I guess the Blackfish really sucks at scouting in the show.

It seems like too many people give D&D a pass just because they can comprehend where each of these scenes will lead. Im much more interested in a credible buildup and consistent storyline.

More explanation as to who the northmen were would have been well received. The scene just seemed out of the blue robb goes from all the way east to all the way west, now back to the Riverlands?

Robb showed up in force to siege a castle and there's not a living soul there? Wtf? I guess the Blackfish really sucks at scouting in the show.

It seems like too many people give D&D a pass just because they can comprehend where each of these scenes will lead. Im much more interested in a credible buildup and consistent storyline.

The blackfish isn't in the show yet. :P

Wasn't it better if this scene was in episode 2 instead of 1? And that one had one more Jon scene?

In summary: it was a right plot decision weakly executed. All it really needed were some clear lines explaining what was going on and it would have been reasonable. As it was, it remained a bit vague and so easily forgotten.

It was totally worth it for that golden moment between Bolton and Karstark.

Also... off topic... why is Talisa's sigil in the credits two lions circling each other?

The blackfish isn't in the show yet. :P

Wasn't it better if this scene was in episode 2 instead of 1? And that one had one more Jon scene?

The scene needs a do-over. Have Roose take a light garrissoned HH by guile or force. Explain wHY the Mountain left in their conversation. Have Roose discover the castle is empty on a scouting mission.

I think that the Mountain executed all his prisoners when he heard that Robb no longer holds Jaime, so there's no fear of a reprisal. That's why attention suddenly shifts to Cat, and why he makes a show of finding her a cell.

They could have explained it better. I feel like part of that sequence was cut.

Okay, this makes sense to me. They didn't say that, though, and if I as a book reader didn't get it I'm sure any non-book reader who isn't real clear on who the Mountain even is understood what was going on.

Archived