[Book Spoilers] Biggest laugh of the episode?

It was just... it felt rushed and that whole scene took place in what, two minutes? If someone watching at home decided to take a piss or stop paying attention for 30 seconds to respond to a text, they would've missed the whole scene.

Hah, well, those people are the worst. Those are the fuckers that need stuff explaining to them later. But I see what you are getting at.

Tis funny you should mention rereading the scene five times over. Cause I've rewatched that scene alone several times over. Great stuff from Dance and Dinklage.

I remember reading in an interview how Dance would just start apologising to Dinklage once filming had stopped cause he was being so, so cruel :P That's a funny thought in itself.

Definitely Tyrion responding to Cersei...

Cersei tells Tyrion: "You're a clever man, but you're not half as clever as you think you are,"

To which he responds, "Still makes me more clever than you."

He's def the best.

Bronn is a great comic relief character as well. Great scene with the guards by Tyrion's door and when he threatened Pod.

I loved when Margaery's hand maiden said "You'll ruin your dress."

Her face lights up and she says "I have others."

This season's Margaery captures the one we're shown in the books so well... I always did suspect she was more like she was portrayed in last season. Also, her and Loras at the dinner scene was perfect. They just looked so sugary happy, so Tyrell.

Also, it's not exactly "funny" but I LOVED the scene with Ros and Shae where Ros tells Shae to protect her. I see others giving hate for it, but I never really thought about the fact that Ros might know Sansa. And "the bells rang all day when she was born"? Loved it! I like Shae and Sansa together. I really prefer Ros not having scenes, but if she has to be I like this way.

Yes, if we have to have Ros in a scene, I prefer her when she's clothed and using her brain and voice instead of other parts. Not sure if Ros has personally met Sansa; but Ros is from near-Winterfell; and would know of Sansa, and might have seen her from afar (not to mention that Ros has probably had Sansa's brother Robb as a client; she's had Theon and she at least met Jon, who apparently declined). What I liked about the bit with Ros is that it established that she still has some loyalty to House Stark/the North, at least to the extent of trying to look out for a captive and very vulnerable Stark daughter when she has the opportunity to do so.

Salla's been married more than 4 times! That made me howl.

Also, it's not exactly "funny" but I LOVED the scene with Ros and Shae where Ros tells Shae to protect her. I see others giving hate for it, but I never really thought about the fact that Ros might know Sansa. And "the bells rang all day when she was born"? Loved it! I like Shae and Sansa together.

And don't forget - Ros has two employers now.

Hah, well, those people are the worst. Those are the fuckers that need stuff explaining to them later. But I see what you are getting at.

Tis funny you should mention rereading the scene five times over. Cause I've rewatched that scene alone several times over. Great stuff from Dance and Dinklage.

I remember reading in an interview how Dance would just start apologising to Dinklage once filming had stopped cause he was being so, so cruel :P That's a funny thought in itself.

The Tywin/Tyrion scene was the best acted, strongest scene in the episode. What a treat to see those two actors squaring off; they're both brilliant! And it made a great bookend to the scene between them in the first season, when Tywin surprised and delighted Tyrion by telling him to take up the office of Hand of the King (in my opinion, Peter Dinklage earned his Emmy in that moment; his reaction was so very real and heartbreaking, he was excited not just because he was getting status, but because his tyrant father was actually entrusting him with something so important for real rather than just dismissing him - we could see it all in his face, but not over-emoted).

Charles Dance is a marvelous actor; I've seen him play nice guys but he makes a terrific villain. Anyone see him in Bleak House - he was terrifying.

The Tywin/Tyrion scene was the best acted, strongest scene in the episode. What a treat to see those two actors squaring off; they're both brilliant! And it made a great bookend to the scene between them in the first season, when Tywin surprised and delighted Tyrion by telling him to take up the office of Hand of the King (in my opinion, Peter Dinklage earned his Emmy in that moment; his reaction was so very real and heartbreaking, he was excited not just because he was getting status, but because his tyrant father was actually entrusting him with something so important for real rather than just dismissing him - we could see it all in his face, but not over-emoted).

Charles Dance is a marvelous actor; I've seen him play nice guys but he makes a terrific villain. Anyone see him in Bleak House - he was terrifying.

yes. yes, and yes.

It's a television show. That's kinda how it works.

Doesn't change the fact that MOST people space out and don't pay attention to every last detail. Whether it's because they're tired and zone out for 10 seconds, or because they're with friends/family and someone says something, or it's because an accent is hard to understand, etc.

Show should've kept all that in mind. Scene was WAY too short. Hell, even Tyrion's scene with Cersei and the Bronn and his whore scene were both longer.

Ha. I'm sure I will, when I have the DVDs which I will eventually buy because i'm a sucker despite hating the show post-season one, also rewatch the scene over and over. Oh well. :P

And that's great. Pretty sure Jack gives Sophie a hug afterwards whenever they do a REALLY nasty scene together. Kind of funny.

So what was your funniest moment in episode one?

I enjoyed Cersei's meta remark about hearing Tyrion had lost his nose.

The banter between Tyrion and Bronn was once more brilliant.

And the 'lost in translation' scene between Dany and Kraznys was just as good as it was in the book. I hope we get a bit more mileage out of that before dracarys.

Haha, I enjoyed the nod. The banter between Tyrion and Bronn is always solid.

I also got some dark humor chuckle in the scene between Tyrion and Tywin, just because this begins the dialogue of hate.

I did not find it funny (I thought it rather sad, really), but it made me think how fond Shae is of ruining other people's games. The drinking game in the first season with Tyrion and Bronn, anybody? It somehow connects Sansa and Tyrion.

I found that scene to have a couple of jabs at Shae. Sansa goes on to explain that its a game and to just shut up and play it. Shae is almost like Sansa's proverbial chew toy and i love it. Ros here going on about "girls like them" have risen up and Shae's disdain for the comment and Ros' little thing of "well thats what we are." was nice too. Shae is far too haughty.

Seriously? I thought that was the best dialogue in the episode. The way Tywin shifted from dutiful and respectful to contemptuous and bitter at the bat of a golden eyelash was awesome.

Tyrion/Tywin scene was pure magic. The acting there floored me. Good job on Dance and Dinklage!

Yes, if we have to have Ros in a scene, I prefer her when she's clothed and using her brain and voice instead of other parts. Not sure if Ros has personally met Sansa; but Ros is from near-Winterfell; and would know of Sansa, and might have seen her from afar (not to mention that Ros has probably had Sansa's brother Robb as a client; she's had Theon and she at least met Jon, who apparently declined). What I liked about the bit with Ros is that it established that she still has some loyalty to House Stark/the North, at least to the extent of trying to look out for a captive and very vulnerable Stark daughter when she has the opportunity to do so.

I highly doubt Robb was Ros' client. But Theon was.

Ros' little tale about how the bells of Winterfell rang all day and night of Sansa's birth was really touching though. And her reminding the viewer that Littlefinger is a creep. I was ok with Ros this episode. I dont say that often.

Well Dany and Irri get a bit jiggidy in the books and well that can't happen in the show so while not essential for Dany to go lesbian it is still relevant to her arc

Back on topic the Tyrion comment about Cersei being as funny as Pycellle was class

It is not relevant and I sincerely doubt/hope that they leave it out being that Daario will be making an appearance soon.

I found that scene to have a couple of jabs at Shae. Sansa goes on to explain that its a game and to just shut up and play it. Shae is almost like Sansa's proverbial chew toy and i love it. Ros here going on about "girls like them" have risen up and Shae's disdain for the comment and Ros' little thing of "well thats what we are." was nice too. Shae is far too haughty.

Tyrion/Tywin scene was pure magic. The acting there floored me. Good job on Dance and Dinklage!

I highly doubt Robb was Ros' client. But Theon was.

Ros' little tale about how the bells of Winterfell rang all day and night of Sansa's birth was really touching though. And her reminding the viewer that Littlefinger is a creep. I was ok with Ros this episode. I dont say that often.

I'm pretty sure that he did.

My biggest laugh of the episode was Jon's look of pure terror when he was looking at the giant.

Cersei and Margaery going Mean Girls on each other was hilarious, too. I could almost hear the "That is the ugliest effing dress I've ever seen." (People who've seen Mean Girls will get what I'm talking about.)

Joffrey watching Marg was all kinds of funny, like "what is she doing? Why is she with those... p-p-people?".

I loved the idea that "charitable work" would be completely foreign to Joffrey. He said "charitable work" like he was referring to something obscure and arcane of which Margaery had special knowledge. So funny!

Shae is almost like Sansa's proverbial chew toy and i love it.

Eh, Shae doesn't seem to mind. She sounded downright proud when she told Ros in response to Ros' request to watch out for Sansa "I always do." It sounded like something a protective boyfriend might say. (Not that I ship TV Shae/Sansa or anything...ahem.)

My biggest laugh of the episode was Jon's look of pure terror when he was looking at the giant.

Cersei and Margaery going Mean Girls on each other was hilarious, too. I could almost hear the "That is the ugliest effing dress I've ever seen." (People who've seen Mean Girls will get what I'm talking about.)

I loved the idea that "charitable work" would be completely foreign to Joffrey. He said "charitable work" like he was referring to something obscure and arcane of which Margaery had special knowledge. So funny!

SORCERY!!

Ah... also Sam's scene. I laughed because it sounded to much like "You had one job!".

Archived