Did Mel burn Davos child

I believe she was saying that Davos shouldn't despair, all those who died by fire died the purists of death (his son included). The suggestion that his son burning alive was somehow pure... well, we saw what Davos did in response.

I do not believe Melisandre ever claims death by fire is the purest death in the novels, but I may well be wrong; and even if she doesn't actually say it, I imagine the character in the novels actually believes it.

I don't think she was saying that she actually burned him.

In one of the Season 2 episodes, as she's leaving the room she whispers something into Mathos' ear. Stannis asks her what she said, and she states something about how "fire is the purest death" or something along those lines.

So, when she repeats the line about fire, death, etc to Davos in S3E1, the implication is that she prophesied Mathos' death by fire. At least that's what I took from it.

In one of the Season 2 episodes, as she's leaving the room she whispers something into Mathos' ear. Stannis asks her what she said, and she states something about how "fire is the purest death" or something along those lines.

So, when she repeats the line about fire, death, etc to Davos in S3E1, the implication is that she prophesied Mathos' death by fire. At least that's what I took from it.

This. I believe in season 2 episode 2 Mel whispers the "fire is the purest death" to Mathos, who burns up at the black water, meaning to me that she saw his death in her flames.

This.

I believe she was saying that Davos shouldn't despair, all those who died by fire died the purists of death (his son included). The suggestion that his son burning alive was somehow pure... well, we saw what Davos did in response.

I do not believe Melisandre ever claims death by fire is the purest death in the novels, but I may well be wrong; and even if she doesn't actually say it, I imagine the character in the novels actually believes it.

Wasn't in it. Smart that they did it this way for the show only the Mel from the books wouldn't provoke somebody like this. But this is the TV show and this minor change doesn't bother me.

The rub is that she's throwing it in Davos' face that his son wouldn't have died if she had been there.

book spoiler below

is his son actually dead?? i swear that i remember him surviving too

Mathos died in the books, too. However there Davos had 7 sons and 4 (including Mathos) of them died on the Blackwater. Devan was and still is Stannis squire and the 2 youngest are with their mother.

Archived