[Book Spoilers] Qyburn

I'm sure I read somewhere Vargo Hoat was going to be in Season 3. I don't know,

Jamie still has to get there and get his hand cut off

There's a character called "Locke" instead of Hoat, and he'll have a crew of sellswords but I think they are Westerosi instead of being the Brave Companions.

The inlcusion of Qyburn at this stage is rather interesting, given that he is appartently the only survivor of the butchery at Harrenhall. If the Brave Compansions are out, then Qyburn was either the resident maester at Harrenhall when Twyin seized it, or was captured as part of Northern/Riverlands forces. Either way it seems curious that the Mountain left him alive, considering the information he might have as to where the Lannister forces withdrew to etc. It's almost certain judging by the trailers Jamie is going to shed some weight very soon and Qyburn will play a role there, but the I also get the feeling he will have a role in correspondence between Roose and Twyin over certain wedding arrangements.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Qyburn is an allied maester of the Lannisters, specifically loyal to Tywin? I was giving some thought to the idea of Qyburn being an informant for Tywin who will help facilitate future events involving Roose and another Riverland's Lord. Since maester's traditionally handle Raven correspondence, I wonder if Qyburn was intentionally bloodied and beaten and left as a ruse (hehe) at Harrenhall to begin eventual talks with a Northern Lord. What if the letter Tywin is writing is meant for Qyburn at Harrenhal so he can report on the movements of Robb Stark and Lord Bolton, and then the rest of the story picks up naturally from there with the arrival of Jamie, Brienne, & Locke (Vargo and Co.)? What do y'all think? I realize this is a divergence from the books but do you think it serves as a possible explanation for Qyburn being the lone survivor of a Lannister fueled massacre in ep. 1?

I wonder how they'll explain his origins now that he's not with the mercs though. He's certainly not a Northman.

Bolton says that his best hunter (I'm assuming the new Locke character) is after Jaime Lannister. Jaime will lose his hand to Locke before he's brought to Bolton. I'm guessing that Qyburn will be situated with Bolton as he takes up residence in Harrenhal. Bolton will probably then have Qyburn see to Jaime's wounds and then send him as part of the group that heads back to King's Landing. Just my guess, though.

How will Jaime's mutilation be justified? In the books, Hoat is fond of chopping off limbs and apparently does this to sour relations between Tywin and Roose. If one of Roose's men cuts off Jaime's hand, does this not rule out any alliance between Bolton and Tywin?

The inlcusion of Qyburn at this stage is rather interesting, given that he is appartently the only survivor of the butchery at Harrenhall. If the Brave Compansions are out, then Qyburn was either the resident maester at Harrenhall when Twyin seized it, or was captured as part of Northern/Riverlands forces. Either way it seems curious that the Mountain left him alive, considering the information he might have as to where the Lannister forces withdrew to etc. It's almost certain judging by the trailers Jamie is going to shed some weight very soon and Qyburn will play a role there, but the I also get the feeling he will have a role in correspondence between Roose and Twyin over certain wedding arrangements.

I am suspicious... Who says he is a survivor? Perhaps he was doing, you know, what Qyburn does, harvesting organs when news arrived of Robb's army coming or he heard them... Jumps on top of a pile of corpses, smears himself with blood... "Oh, arrgh..."

Oldest trick in the book.

How will Jaime's mutilation be justified? In the books, Hoat is fond of chopping off limbs and apparently does this to sour relations between Tywin and Roose. If one of Roose's men cuts off Jaime's hand, does this not rule out any alliance between Bolton and Tywin?

Locke could easily take on the creepy characteristics of Vargo. He could lop the hand off for a number of reasons, regardless of what Roose wants.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Qyburn is an allied maester of the Lannisters, specifically loyal to Tywin? I was giving some thought to the idea of Qyburn being an informant for Tywin who will help facilitate future events involving Roose and another Riverland's Lord. Since maester's traditionally handle Raven correspondence, I wonder if Qyburn was intentionally bloodied and beaten and left as a ruse (hehe) at Harrenhall to begin eventual talks with a Northern Lord. What if the letter Tywin is writing is meant for Qyburn at Harrenhal so he can report on the movements of Robb Stark and Lord Bolton, and then the rest of the story picks up naturally from there with the arrival of Jamie, Brienne, & Locke (Vargo and Co.)? What do y'all think?

I agree! When I saw that he was the only survivor in a heap of corpses, I immediately thought "Infiltrator!" even before he revealed his identity. And it does give the opportunity of a smooth transition into his book storyline.

I was giving some thought to the idea of Qyburn being an informant for Tywin who will help facilitate future events involving Roose and another Riverland's Lord.

I was thinking this as well. It would make sense, and provide a nice plausible link to how Roose and Tywin establish their first contact. I'd be fine with this, although they will have to keep it very subtle so as not to blow the surprise....

I was thinking this as well. It would make sense, and provide a nice plausible link to how Roose and Tywin establish their first contact. I'd be fine with this, although they will have to keep it very subtle so as not to blow the surprise....

I am also okay with this idea...so long as its kept subtle...At this point in the story, us book readers know Qyburn as Josef Mengele with less carte blanche...In the show, Tywin has already shown a proclivity to hire unsavory characters to do his bidding, so it would not be unreasonable for him to implant this disgraced Maester at Harrenhal to serve as both his envoy and spy all while under the guise of a "lucky" survivor. Qyburn can still attend to Jamie, can still head to King's Landing with Steelshanks Walton, and will still be in the good graces of the Lannisters once he arrives.

Whether or not Twyin's letter is intended for Qyburn is yet to be determined...but i would not be surprised in the least to find he is just another one of Tywin's pets!

I am suspicious... Who says he is a survivor? Perhaps he was doing, you know, what Qyburn does, harvesting organs when news arrived of Robb's army coming or he heard them... Jumps on top of a pile of corpses, smears himself with blood... "Oh, arrgh..."

Oldest trick in the book.

In a different show I might agree, but the writers have pretty much removed any plotlines that might cause the viewer to have to think deeper than what is actually told to them.

See removing the Dontos plotline, Selmy revealing his true identity right away, the fate of Craster's sons, Loras and Renly's relationship, Littlefinger in general, Tyrion not bothering to arrange secret meetings with Shae and even having her visit him thru the front door at his sick bed.

I am also okay with this idea...so long as its kept subtle...At this point in the story, us book readers know Qyburn as Josef Mengele with less carte blanche...In the show, Tywin has already shown a proclivity to hire unsavory characters to do his bidding, so it would not be unreasonable for him to implant this disgraced Maester at Harrenhal to serve as both his envoy and spy all while under the guise of a "lucky" survivor. Qyburn can still attend to Jamie, can still head to King's Landing with Steelshanks Walton, and will still be in the good graces of the Lannisters once he arrives.

It would explain how he some how survived. It's pretty unbelievable that a defenseless prisoner would survive an execution attempt. But then again it's pretty unbelieveable that Sam would be surrounded by white walkers and live.

In a different show I might agree, but the writers have pretty much removed any plotlines that might cause the viewer to have to think deeper than what is actually told to them.

See removing the Dontos plotline, Selmy revealing his true identity right away, the fate of Craster's sons, Loras and Renly's relationship, Littlefinger in general, Tyrion not bothering to arrange secret meetings with Shae and even having her visit him thru the front door at his sick bed.

You may well be right, but there are sometimes details there to be picked up... See the Talisa is a spy theory, Roose's reactions to Talisa and Robb, the meta joke about Tyrion's nose... So we're introduced to Qyburn at the scene of a massacre... When he is seen later on doing his "thang", you never know, some viewers might actually recall when and in what circumstances he was first found.

It would explain how he some how survived. It's pretty unbelievable that a defenseless prisoner would survive an execution attempt. But then again it's pretty unbelieveable that Sam would be surrounded by white walkers and live.

Yes sir...and how convenient the only survivor not only knows his letters...but probably his ravens as well...and unless there is another maester traveling in Robb's Army, no one would have an inkling this man is disgraced and demented.

I was wondering, does anyone thing that The Mountain left Qyburn there, as a plant? Granted, either way works. It just seemed to me that the cut on his throat was obviously not bad. Or, I suppose, he could be a plant by anyone, I was just suspicious of how Qyburn really came to be there anyway.

Yes sir...and how convenient the only survivor not only knows his letters...but probably his ravens as well...and unless there is another maester traveling in Robb's Army, no one would have an inkling this man is disgraced and demented.

He's not demented (he has a sense of reality) he's an out and out sadist.

Don't tell Locke what he cannot do! I think maybe Jaime will taunt him, and he'll do it in response.

I think Qyburn is a plant from the Lannisters.

Archived