[Book Spoilers] Qyburn

When i read Cerscei's description of Qyburns appearance in the book, i was like "thats a really cool idea, having this twisted sicko look and sound like a nice, harmless old man, like a loving grandfather... they could have used that to first build him up as a good guy and then reveal his true nature better". i think this was a very promising introduction, and i think qyburn is a character that you really have to write and play out carefully to not fall into the "mad scientist crossed with evil wizard, genuine BAD GUY" category. The contrast between his lean appearance, polite manners and soft voice (wich reminds the viewers of luwin) combined with his sick personality and twisted experiments creates a cool contrast and makes the character really interesting.

In a different show I might agree, but the writers have pretty much removed any plotlines that might cause the viewer to have to think deeper than what is actually told to them.

See removing the Dontos plotline, Selmy revealing his true identity right away, the fate of Craster's sons, Loras and Renly's relationship, Littlefinger in general, Tyrion not bothering to arrange secret meetings with Shae and even having her visit him thru the front door at his sick bed.

No, no, no. This has nothing to do with ''dumbing down the story'' as you seem to think, but more the fact that film is a completely different medium than written word. Barristan-in-hiding was never going to work when viewers can SEE his face and realise they have seen him before, then go back and rewatch the series to know exactly who he is. It just would not work for this medium of entertainment, why don't more people realise this?

• 2 weeks later...

i was shocked to find i had been pronouncing his name wrong in my head, but then not so shocked when i thought about it again XD also when they gave him water and started temding his wounds i had the image burned in my head of that scrubs episode where JD wants to have a guy follow him around warn him when ever he makes a mistake

No, no, no. This has nothing to do with ''dumbing down the story'' as you seem to think, but more the fact that film is a completely different medium than written word. Barristan-in-hiding was never going to work when viewers can SEE his face and realise they have seen him before, then go back and rewatch the series to know exactly who he is. It just would not work for this medium of entertainment, why don't more people realise this?

yeah i understand and agree, also there is the drawback of having limited time and budget, and us not being able to read peoples minds. all of which make it harder for things to play out the same as they did in the books. though it doesnt mean we cant sorrowfully reflect on the shame it is that the viewers who havnt read the books miss out of the awesomeness.. though they really should read the books if they like the show so much. but i know thats a fight im not going to win, ive converted more people (since the tv show be came more popular) to reading the books, but some people just arnt up to the task, they ARE huge books and not everyone has the time or commitment for it ;D oh well

• 2 weeks later...

Archived