[Book Spoilers] Mance

I was a little underwhelmed, I thought they could have spent a couple more minutes on the scene, and you know, maybe no Bronn in the whore house or no Ros on the pier. His delivery was also kind of flat for Mance, he doesn't need to sing, but needs a little zing or something.

I love Hinds but... could you imagine if Dominic West had accepted the role? Jimmy fucking McNulty Mance being all sassy and smirky. Most definitely "an awesome guy to go the pub with".

So yeah, Hinds good. But he's the only casting choice I'm going to be thinking "if only..." with.

I wish they had relocated some minutes to give us more Mance time, since I was really looking forward to see him in the show. As for Hinds playing it, well I agree that he will portray a distinct Mance from the ones most of us pictured while reading the book, but I still love that he is playing the role, since he is such an awesome actor.

I don't mind Ciarin's acting. He's a much more subdued version. But still, I think he should've been singing. The actor was in the Phantom of the Opera. He's fully capable... then again, they did film on location in Iceland...

Let me just say that I think Ciaran is great, and he's one of my favorite actors.

I'm glad they got him for Game of Thrones, but he should have been given another role. He's too...I don't know, regal for my taste. He reminds me a bit too much of Caesar, and Mance should be exactly the opposite of that. He should be a man of the people, a friend to everyone. While I'm sure they'll try to show that onscreen, the character they've written for Hinds is kind of cold and disconnected.

I think he could have been a much better character if they had gotten another actor, like say, Henry Ian Cusick, James Purefoy, or even Dominic West. I also mind that they cut some of the intriguing backstory pieces, like the story about the cloak and him being a bard.

Nevertheless, I think Ciaran is OK, but it could have been better. It's just that he makes me go all" Ave, Mance! " every time he appears on screen. :P

I understand the comments about miscasting. I have my own reservations with Hinds playing Mance as well. They are very small reservations however due to just how talented and gifted that Cirian Hinds is as an actor.

I had similar doubts when Addy was selected to play King Robert. I was overwhelmingly wrong. I'm going to wait to pass judgement until we see him in a few more scenes.

I really hope they go into Mance being at Winferfell and his Bard tactics. What a cool story line it is...

TBH I woulda been happy if this whole episode was the stuff before the credits(not good but ties into last season and needs to be there), Jon Snow for 20 minutes, Dany for 20 minutes. Rest filler tyrion, tywin, cersei stuff.

So far, show Mance seems quite a bit different than book Mance. Book Mance seems like he would be an awesome guy to go the pub with, not so much with show Mance.

Not how I pictured him AT ALL really disappointed with this casting, he was great in Rome n a good actor but wrong for this part. His intro could've been better too.

I love Hinds but... could you imagine if Dominic West had accepted the role? Jimmy fucking McNulty Mance being all sassy and smirky. Most definitely "an awesome guy to go the pub with".

So yeah, Hinds good. But he's the only casting choice I'm going to be thinking "if only..." with.

People are wrong about the casting. The problem is the script. Do you think that Hinds just does what he wants?? That's the way D&D wrote the character, even if it was West, he would have been the same. Ciaran Hinds was perfectly capable of playing book Mance... even singing.

People are wrong about the casting. The problem is the script. Do you think that Hinds just does what he wants?? That's the way D&D wrote the character, even if it was West, he would have been the same. Ciaran Hinds was perfectly capable of playing book Mance... even singing.

Very, very true. They've turned him into a generic, gruff northener type. Even has the northern accent going on. Mance should have been closer to David Bowie than Sean Bean, FFS.

Short answer: yes. The episode was 54 minutes long, it could have been a couple minutes longer.

The season 1 premiere was a little over an hour long, you'd think that the first episode of "The biggest season" would be longer.

Im just gonna throw this out there, Hinds is great but I thought Jeremy Irons would've made a better Mance, thats my opinion

I really liked the scene with Jon and the King Beyond the Wall. I think I found the second half of last season so underwhelming with the Wildling arc, that it was just so nice to see someone with charisma on screen!

I love Rose Leslie but the discussions of stones and bones last season was tedious.

With the time they gave the story, I thought they worked wonders. I will certainly not be groaning whenever this story comes on screen!

Hopefully he gets better with more scenes. Maybe once the wildlings aren't quite so cautious of Jon they will lighten up.

It was more dramatic for TV this way. Mance seemed imposing and like he could do some serious damage to Jon right then and there. Not that he isn't that way in the books, but TV Mance comes off as dangerous right away so maybe that's simply what they'r going for instead.

Archived