[Book Spoilers] Mance

If anyone has an interesting backstory, its Mance. We found out about his dealings with the NW, but no one has any real idea about the wildlings history with the North other than the NW.

That story would give so much depth to display the thousands of years of back and forth with the North/Starks and the wildlings.

I was disappointed with the way Mance looked when I first heard of the casting and my expectations for his appearance were very low. But the scene actually exceeded my expectations, I like Mance in the show now. I am happy that we saw that lute beside him. I only wish he were wearing red silk still. :P

I do not think leaving out Val and Dalla makes a lot of a difference, at least for now.

I really hope they go into Mance being at Winferfell and his Bard tactics. What a cool story line it is...

TBH I woulda been happy if this whole episode was the stuff before the credits(not good but ties into last season and needs to be there), Jon Snow for 20 minutes, Dany for 20 minutes. Rest filler tyrion, tywin, cersei stuff.

What. :shocked:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd read reviewers saying that he was much more serious than in the books prior to watching the episode, so I was pleased to find him a little wry, not super-serious. It's fine with me if Mance is a little more regal than in the books -- you could still see Hinds' Mance blending in, not standing out, all that -- I just hope they capture more of the playfulness and the wildness of the character as time goes on. With some music, to be sure.

I think the actor is going to bring a strong presence, but it doesn't seem to be the presence I was expecting from the character as written. The charisma of the book appears to be gone which is what I was really hoping to see.

I personally wanted to hear Mance's story about when he left the NW, but they're probably saving it for a later episode. Also I was disappointed we didn't see Styr, or get to hear Tormund's full titles.

We saw three men in the tent, I took them to be Mance, Tormund and Styr. Who else could he be otherwise?

I personally wanted to hear Mance's story about when he left the NW, but they're probably saving it for a later episode. Also I was disappointed we didn't see Styr, or get to hear Tormund's full titles.

That guy with the axe wasnt the Magnar?

Im pissed we didnt get one Har! from Tormund.

I love Hinds but... could you imagine if Dominic West had accepted the role? Jimmy fucking McNulty Mance being all sassy and smirky. Most definitely "an awesome guy to go the pub with".

So yeah, Hinds good. But he's the only casting choice I'm going to be thinking "if only..." with.

Yeah, when I first heard Dominic West mentioned as Mance, I air-punched and said "yes!" and when I subsequently heard Hands had been confirmed for the role, I sorta went...er...hmm. I can't see Hands climbing the wall and sneaking into Winterfell...or playing an instrument, or nearly anything that book-Mance does. Ah well.

This is messed up because I just watched Caesar stabbed to death in the final episode of Rome,season 1(a little late,i know).Difficult for me to associate Ciarán Hinds with something as crude as "King_Beyond The Wall".

Also,it would have been really cool if they'd included his story about being in Winterfell(I think it was).Although in the books it serves to open Jon up for his "bastard" reason for jining the wildlings.

Also,should have introduced Val and Dalla-they're important for later.

Also Mance should have been playing his lute(of flute,i dnt remember)

It's probably too early to judge, since we've seen so little of him. I'm sure his backstory will be explored in the next episodes. I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed, tho. My idea of Mance from the books is of a joyful guy, someone fun to be around. Show Mance came off a little too grim/serious in his first appearance, so I'm hoping we'll see more of his "bard side" in the future. ^_^

Underdone is certainly the way I'd describe it. Not exactly bad, but not exactly impressive either. I thought Kit Harrington's performance thoroughly made up for it though. Best acting from him I've seen so far.

Not fussed about the absence of Dalla, Val or Mance's back story in this scene. All, and especially the last, can be introduced later. If however, they don't introduce Dalla and Val, I wont be happy. They're pretty important.

Ok I have to say 1 episode!! Plenty of time to develop his backstory.

Sure I wanted him in his black-slashed-with-red cloak but I can let that slide.

I am so glad they made Jon kneel to Tormund - that was pretty important imo. (You know nothing Jon Snow)

I think also that Dalla & Val can be introduced a little later on they do become quite important.

I am hoping we will get some singing out of Mance too

Yeah, as someone who feels book fanatics are way too harsh on the show sometimes, even I was extremely disappointed with Mance's introduction.

I'm a big fan of Ciarin Hinds, but I'm not sure why they decided to leave out all the "bard" stuff. It has so much more impact when the guy playing a harp or whatever in the corner of the room stands up and introduces himself as Mance Rayder.

Plus the meeting between them has so much more substance to it in the book whereas in the series it was about four lines of dialogue. Maybe they're gonna spread all that stuff out over the season more, but it seems like their meeting wasn't the "event" it could have been.

Archived