[Book Spoilers] No Strong Belwas?

Gordon Freeman

Strong Belwas will Join Dany & Barriston at Astapor. He will be freed from the fighting pits. In some of the trailers you can see him fighting in single combat at the gates of Mereen.

you're funny. Mereen is not in season 3, it's season 4. And it's already stated by GRRM himself that strong Belwas won't be in the show. And which trailer do you mean? Think you mistook him for Jorah.

you're funny. Mereen is not in season 3, it's season 4. And it's already stated by GRRM himself that strong Belwas won't be in the show. And which trailer do you mean? Think you mistook him for Jorah.

He is mistaking him for the long haired guy who doesn't look anything like the Daario Naharis i imagined

He won't be in the show? Like at all? That sucks. I get not putting him in this season but surely he could have been in season 4

What's his point to put him in?

Well I'm not a writer on the show so I don't know. I would suggest perhaps outside Meereen, via one of the sellsword companies or something. Do you have a link to where GRRM said he definitely won't be in the series at all?

I thought the immediate Ser Barristan reveal turned out to be not much more than a throwaway scene and I found that rather disappointing. Everyone keeps saying that Barristan hiding who he was wouldn't have worked in the show, but I completely disagree.

It is true that Barristan couldn't have kept his identity a secret from the HBO audience because yes, people would have figured it out. However, what everyone keeps forgetting about it his motive for keeping his name hidden in the books. The whole reason he hid himself was so he could study Dany to see if the madness of the Targaryens ran in her blood, and so instead of his person being a mystery to the home audience, the writers could have played his motive for keeping himself hidden a mystery.

agree it definitely could work. its allowable to hide something from characters that the audience knows. this is usually called suspense.

buut, im not sure if it would be great in this case, because there really isnt enough time for barristan to actually form an opinion on dany like he did in the books. a lot of that getting to know her was on the boat, and now he wasnt there for that.

I thought the immediate Ser Barristan reveal turned out to be not much more than a throwaway scene and I found that rather disappointing. Everyone keeps saying that Barristan hiding who he was wouldn't have worked in the show, but I completely disagree.

It is true that Barristan couldn't have kept his identity a secret from the HBO audience because yes, people would have figured it out. However, what everyone keeps forgetting about it his motive for keeping his name hidden in the books. The whole reason he hid himself was so he could study Dany to see if the madness of the Targaryens ran in her blood, and so instead of his person being a mystery to the home audience, the writers could have played his motive for keeping himself hidden a mystery.

I could see the speculation shifting from "who is Arstan Whitebeard" to "why is Selmy not telling Dany who he really is" and then going from there to speculating if perhaps he's trying to curry favor with the Lannisters or the Starks by assassinating her, if he's there to protect her, etc.

You raise a fair point: hadn't thought of this. I guess it does make Barristan look a bit fickle now, running back to the last Targaryen, despite betraying her family, failing to mention that Aerys was a nutjob, just assuming his daughter is perfectly pure. Damn, you've ruined the scene for me now!!

He is mistaking him for the long haired guy who doesn't look anything like the Daario Naharis i imagined

I think they're just cutting down the flamboyance. Nothing wrong with flamboyance, but based on the looks Dany and Daario give each other they'll make him look tougher. To make a fine suitor maybe.

I just hope they keep tormund's braggadocio about his member!

I loved that! I lol'ed every time I'd read about his huge member! Can't see why they'd exclude it.

Eta: oh main subject... I loved Belwas! They can have him in the background and give him one liners. I still have hope they'll bring him in later.

Well I'm not a writer on the show so I don't know. I would suggest perhaps outside Meereen, via one of the sellsword companies or something. Do you have a link to where GRRM said he definitely won't be in the series at all?

I meant what important role need he fulfill in the show, I mean we all know why cat are in, and Varys. But what important role must Belwas fulfill in the show?

Uh was one of almost a year ago. A short interview, that one of fan favorite characters won't be in the show. Who else but Belwas? His role isn't important enough for be in the show.

Belwas is one of so much 'fine detail' in you find in the books that made the stories so wonderful. Its sad that he may not be in it.

For me it wouldnt seem to cost the show anything to have Belwas. Its not like he will steal a lot of air time. A few short scenes, a few short words and its done. boom! youd then have Belwas making the show epic.

They could have included him, he doesn't require much presentation and they don't need to hire a great actor to portray him anyway. But than again, they can still introduce him later.

I see a lot of value in the lesser characters, I think that just having important characters makes the world fill small.

I think they made the right call. Bewas is as flat a character as it gets with GRRM and if his absence means more money to do better things, it was a good decision. Pehaps this will even help stablish how Jorah and Barristan don't like each other, their relationship could prove interesting if well written.

I will only miss:

"A better knight than you, ser."

I think they made the right call. Bewas is as flat a character as it gets with GRRM and if his absence means more money to do better things, it was a good decision. Pehaps this will even help stablish how Jorah and Barristan don't like each other, their relationship could prove interesting if well written.

I will only miss:

"A better knight than you, ser."

And don't forget that there are a lot of characters, it will weaken the important characters like Onella if you include too much characters, so skipping Belwas was the right call.

Archived