[Book Spoilers] No Strong Belwas?

Gordon Freeman

Yeah the 65 year old dude acting as a squire for a completely unknown and foreign comic relief character would not play out so well on TV. In fact it's pretty silly in the books and only ok because Barristan Selmy is so awesome. Belwas is a cartoon character - my opinion is that it would be kind of lame on TV.

No it did not play well in the book, in fact one GRRMs editors should have said "You have a pro wrestler oaf , who is not even a knight, with an older man who is his squire.' George this is silly.

George likes to play court jester at times.

Illyrio sent Selmy and Belwas ... for some reason. I can remember from the books, maybe Selmy knew Illyrio, and is a military man tho Dany only seems to use him a little in that regard, Belwas makes an imposing (and capable bodyguard).

As I remember from the books Selmy saves Dany's life a second time from a , I think, Astapor assassin.

Illyrio , seems, to be protecting Dany.

As I remember from the book Selmy and Jorah are not openly hostile to one another , just not friends.

Jorah is always jealous of Dany having another man around her not matter how non romantic he might be.

I am actually glad they cut him out. He's cartoonish in the books and they need to give existing cast things to do rather than waste it on two-bit tertiary character. For example, give fight with Hero to Barristan. Time is precious and should be spend on truly important things, let this fight build up an important character (barristan or Daario). TV viewers have too many characters to remember as it is.

Yes over on Not a Blog GRRM has definitely confirmed that Belwas is gone gone.

Well it's kind of odd. At KL and in Westeros there is a train-load of characters, even having cut many out.

In the East , even in the books, there just are not that many and so far D and D have cut a lot of those out (like all of Dany's Dothraki handmaidens , just how many Blood Riders are there left? ).

Ok , well Belwas had only one important scene, and in the show they could have made him less comic, but he did play his part as a decoration that added color which is sometimes needed in Dany's story.

I think D and D have personal likes and dislikes that are not based on logistics.

Yes over on Not a Blog GRRM has definitely confirmed that Belwas is gone gone.

Well it's kind of odd. At KL and in Westeros there is a train-load of characters, even having cut many out.

In the East , even in the books, there just are not that many and so far D and D have cut a lot of those out (like all of Dany's Dothraki handmaidens , just how many Blood Riders are there left? ).

Ok , well Belwas had only one important scene, and in the show they could have made him less comic, but he did play his part as a decoration that added color which is sometimes needed in Dany's story.

I think D and D have personal likes and dislikes that are not based on logistics.

I'm happy he's gone. The only important part he has to play is the battle of the hero, which I think will be cut and instead of battle the Hero, there will be strategy on how to take Mereen. And another important part is that he's sick in DwD after eating locusts, that can be given to an Unsulied or even a Dotraki.

About killing many important characters with Danny and not so much in KL. I think they look at the importants of the characters. Irri part could be given to Missainde, making here more important in the show. Some dotraki parts can be given to other Dotraki characters etc there is no need to worry here for later on.

As for KL, you can't cut the QoT or Varys etc, they are important for later on. And not only for decoration but they really do something, that can't be given to somebody else. And don't forget that the KL plot is much bigger than that of Danny.

I'm happy he's gone. The only important part he has to play is the battle of the hero, which I think will be cut and instead of battle the Hero, there will be strategy on how to take Mereen. And another important part is that he's sick in DwD after eating locusts, that can be given to an Unsulied or even a Dotraki.

About killing many important characters with Danny and not so much in KL. I think they look at the importants of the characters. Irri part could be given to Missainde, making here more important in the show. Some dotraki parts can be given to other Dotraki characters etc there is no need to worry here for later on.

As for KL, you can't cut the QoT or Varys etc, they are important for later on. And not only for decoration but they really do something, that can't be given to somebody else. And don't forget that the KL plot is much bigger than that of Danny.

Ok I agree Belwas can go.

But Dany's inner circle of Dothraki was an important (sort of) spiritual connection to the Dothraki, at least that is the feeling I got. The Blood Riders do more than the hand maidens but should have filled those roles with non speaking low paid extras. Makes me feel some of the undercurrent of continuity has been tossed out.

Tho on the show her ' khalasar' , tho I wonder if one can call that a khalasar?, are still with her, even by end of ADwD she still has those 70 so, tho it's anybodies guess where they are!

Archived