[book spoiler]Tywin's Letter

Eric Xayavong

I tought it was a RW letter the second I saw Tywin writing. I wonder whether it was for Walder or for Roose, though... As for Tywin getting the information, Roose Bolton himself might have seen to that.

I saw lines saying "...a successful hunt, deserves to be morked..." and "weak and ripe for the... "

I'm assuming this means that after Robb's success of winning all the battles, and embaraasing Tywin, he deserves to be morked (a derogatory sexual act). Following this I believe "ripe for the" was meant as ripe for the taking, in reference to the future RW plans.

EDIT: @Floredai - I actually believe this was just a case of the props had been prepared for the show, but they had to show Tywin writing and so the letter had been largely made already, but Charles Dance's writing needed to be shown on screen and therefore he only wrote a few words, for the sake of time saving.

Wouldn't he have to know that Robb has married Talisa to start prepping the RW?

Technically no - it might be that his marrying Talisa gave them another reason for the RW, but they could easily have planned this for a Frey-Robb wedding as well. Frey always hated being slighted and he always feels slighted at, well, everything.

What struck me was the difference in writing between the beginning of the letter and what we see Tywin writing. My first thought was "wow it seems Jaime inherited his poor penmanship from someone", and I wondered if we were shown something important. But it would suggest that the beginning was dictated to someone else, which seems improbable.

So maybe it's only that writing with a quill pen is a skill Charles Dance didn't have time to learn.

I really just think you're seeing writing done previously to prepare the prop and then the fresher ink is stuff they wanted to film Dance writing so that he's actually interacting with the prop and not just faking a scrawl.

Technically no - it might be that his marrying Talisa gave them another reason for the RW, but they could easily have planned this for a Frey-Robb wedding as well. Frey always hated being slighted and he always feels slighted at, well, everything.

precicely, and they don't want to over-complicate the show for casual watchers.

I'm intrigued, if they put in this foreshadowing, how many other points did i miss or take for granted?

Ok finally had a chance to watch this again and pause it. This is what I can read:

...mined to scavenge...

...__xy be long, we shall ____ to fill... (cannot figure out what the word is)

...need those supplies for a long while to come...

...___ufull hunt deserves to be marked. I h__...

...__ck and ripe for th...

His new writing includes the last two lines above. I believe we can conclude the line is "successfull hunt deserves to marked." I think this may be to Bolton since he is talking about a "hunt" in the previous scene. Perhaps Tywin is indicating that if the hunt (i.e. Jamie's return to KL)for his son goes well he will be rewarded

https://www.dropbox....atmlpko/GOT.JPG

Well we got a nice closeup on the sealing wax. If they want to use an anvil, we will see Roose opening a letter sealed this way.

I also expect that we'll see that seal somewhere it shouldn't be later.

I can't imagine that Roose and Tywin have been in communicate for long though, I mean Roose was traveling with Robb this whole time. Unless the producers/writers just don't take that into consideration.

An interesting point regarding the deciphered text in Tywin's letter:

"...hunt deserves to be marked..."

Could this refer to Talisa?

We know in season 2 she mentioned that the people on Volantis brand the faces of their slaves, and we know Jorah gets this done to him in the books.

Also, her presence at (what looks like) the red wedding in the season 3 trailers suggests she must suffer some fate at the hands of Bolton/Frey etc.

Basically, would it be a long shot if Talisa suffered an ironic face branding as a result of her being cozy with Stark's? Would be kind of brutal to have a direwolf forever scarred into her cheek. Or worse, a Lannister Lion/Bolton Flayed Man/Frey Towers = so she never 'forgets where her allegiance should lie'...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1004.photobu...54s169.png[/img]

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1004.photobu...26s158.png[/img]

...tempt the wolves

...cleared the forest

...revenge on our ____

That's some pretty neat handwriting.

I know how to write like this. :smug:

That kind of handwriting was also used in "The Book of Kells".

An interesting point regarding the deciphered text in Tywin's letter:

"...hunt deserves to be marked..."

Could this refer to Talisa?

We know in season 2 she mentioned that the people on Volantis brand the faces of their slaves, and we know Jorah gets this done to him in the books.

Also, her presence at (what looks like) the red wedding in the season 3 trailers suggests she must suffer some fate at the hands of Bolton/Frey etc.

Basically, would it be a long shot if Talisa suffered an ironic face branding as a result of her being cozy with Stark's? Would be kind of brutal to have a direwolf forever scarred into her cheek. Or worse, a Lannister Lion/Bolton Flayed Man/Frey Towers = so she never 'forgets where her allegiance should lie'...

"She lay with wolves" gruesome.

I think it would be more effective if her punishment is to be slain with all the rest of them at the RW. That would also put an end to the character.

Oh yes, and she could support the Frey's request that Grey Wind be left outside.

"She lay with wolves" gruesome.

I think it would be more effective if her punishment is to be slain with all the rest of them at the RW. That would also put an end to the character.

Oh yes, and she could support the Frey's request that Grey Wind be left outside.

But if she has a part in keeping grey wind outside, won't the big puppy realise she is no good? I realise they are largely cutting the characterisations of the direwolves as seen in books, but... Why hasn't Grey Wind sniffed her or the others out? I am hoping she is a spy so that her character changes aren't so dramatic but I fear it's wishful thinking.

I loved this scene, just wish he would have busted out the "quills" line. Thanks so much for posting those stills.

Maybe the "quills" line will be included in the upcoming small council meeting. You know, the best small council meeting ever, with Tywin, Tyrion, Cersei, Kevan, LF, Varys, and Pycelle.

Archived