Astapor, Yunkai and Meereen

dalrymple123

So I just realized, that during the opening sequence, where it shows Astapor, there is only one other visible city in the distance. Is this because Astapor and Yunkai will merge into one city?

I really hope its just that they havent got around to designing it because we wont see it until s4 or something. Just wanted to hear your thoughts

The second city seems to be Yunkai. At least I think I could make out the 'y' at the beginning of the name on the map. And it fits with the map from the novels. We only get the locations designed on the map that are actually visited in the season. And the episode titles strongly suggest that Meereen won't be visited in season 3. We'll get to that in season 4.

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1200

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/base/core.php on line 1162

Warning: include() [function.include]: Unable to allocate memory for pool. in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/class_localization.php on line 835

I think with book 3 being adapted into two seasons, Dany won't get to Meereen until season 4 and the other city is Yunkai. If i'm wrong and Astapor and Yunkai are being merged I will shit bricks.

They are two city's. :) Probably Mereen will be next season. But I fear that Mereen will be more west than in the books

http://img833.images...163/astapor.png

So, what do You guys think these are?

Yeah, noticed that, strange. In the latest trailer of the show, there is an image with the Unsullied leaving Astapor, in columns, and they are exiting various gates, which are one next to the other. So, somewhere around there are the gates. The defensive wall of Astapor is right across that peninsula, but I have no idea what are those lines. Something defensive as well??

Anyway, when I saw the intro, I panicked why were there only 2 cities??? I was always afraid that they would merge the taking of Yunkai and Meereen, and give the antagonist position of Yunkai from the books to Astapor. In they eyes of TV fans, maybe the taking of 3 cities one after another, unimportant cities might get repetitive. And Dany's arc is the most important for the show (unfortunately). Well, at least those were my concerns. But now I am kind of at ease. The second city has a name next to it and it is simply too short to be Meereen. The first letter even looks like an Y. I guess they could have transfered her story from Meereen to Yunkai, but that would be a huge change, which I don't think they would make. Why would they??? when Dany stays 2 books there??? And then I went on HBO's GOT site, looked at the map, and there they were: all 3 cities :). The last episode is named Mhysa, that will be the ending of Season 3, the taking of Yunkai. They will keep Meereen for season 4.

It would have been difficult, anyway, to merge Meereen and Yunkai, if they did not want to fuck the Sacking of Astapor up. Astapor is in no shape to oppose or threaten Dany after she has dealt with the slavers there. Yunkai, on the other hand, is never taken nor sacked. All Dany does is force the Yunkai'i to free their slaves. The leaders of Yunkai remain untouched, and its political society intact. That's why Yunkai later can spearhead the anti-Dany movement in Slaver's Bay.

And Meereen, well, Meereen is going to be the city Dany is going to conquer and rule. Making two seasons out of ASoS and reducing the Dany plot kind of contradict itself. They cannot hasten Dany's story along if they want to tell all the stuff that happens in Westeros. Else Dany is in Westeros and Tywin is still alive, or something like that.

I hope they keep the stuff about post-Dany Astapor in the show. The tragedy of the city which ends up tearing itself apart after Dany leaves it is interesting.

Yeah, noticed that, strange. In the latest trailer of the show, there is an image with the Unsullied leaving Astapor, in columns, and they are exiting various gates, which are one next to the other. So, somewhere around there are the gates. The defensive wall of Astapor is right across that peninsula, but I have no idea what are those lines. Something defensive as well??

Anyway, when I saw the intro, I panicked why were there only 2 cities??? I was always afraid that they would merge the taking of Yunkai and Meereen, and give the antagonist position of Yunkai from the books to Astapor. In they eyes of TV fans, maybe the taking of 3 cities one after another, unimportant cities might get repetitive. And Dany's arc is the most important for the show (unfortunately). Well, at least those were my concerns. But now I am kind of at ease. The second city has a name next to it and it is simply too short to be Meereen. The first letter even looks like an Y. I guess they could have transfered her story from Meereen to Yunkai, but that would be a huge change, which I don't think they would make. Why would they??? when Dany stays 2 books there??? And then I went on HBO's GOT site, looked at the map, and there they were: all 3 cities :). The last episode is named Mhysa, that will be the ending of Season 3, the taking of Yunkai. They will keep Meereen for season 4.

yeah I went through the same thought process

Now that you mention it, I wonder where they'll film Mereen and Yunkai, if it's included.

Essaouira, the Moroccan city they filmed Asatpor in, is perfect for a slave city but it's pretty small and the old city, the medieval portion of it that's actually usable for filming Game of Thrones, is even smaller still. I'm not sure if they can pull off having it double as Astapor and Mereen, let alone having it triple as Yunkai, so I'm thinking there's a good chance that they'll consolidate Astapor and Yunkai into one.

Now that you mention it, I wonder where they'll film Mereen and Yunkai, if it's included.

Essaouira, the Moroccan city they filmed Asatpor in, is perfect for a slave city but it's pretty small and the old city, the medieval portion of it that's actually usable for filming Game of Thrones, is even smaller still. I'm not sure if they can pull off having it double as Astapor and Mereen, let alone having it triple as Yunkai, so I'm thinking there's a good chance that they'll consolidate Astapor and Yunkai into one.

They probably used those areas for both cities, that will most likely look a lot alike. I don't know what they will use for Meereen, I guess they could use Dubrovnik, just like they did for King's Landing?? Why not. There are no more ziggurats left, so they would have to use a lot of CGI, for those pyramids, they could add them over any city.

I saw a documentary or was it an interview? Maybe someone knows. Where David or Dan? who said two ancient Moroccan sea forts were being used, Essaouira, as mentioned above, for Asatpor and yet another for Yunakai,

can't remember the name.

Quite to my surprise!

Making me think , and it would be logical, they will elaborate the conquest of Yuankai , by the end of season 3.

Mereen will be taken in season 4 , I think, meaning two battles (and one sack) in the East. Elaborated , I don't know , because the Battle for the Wall has to fall in there somewhere.

Archived