[BOOK SPOILERS] What did your friends/family think of the premiere and their predictions?

teemo

I watched the show with my father (non-reader) and he enjoyed the episode. He seemed to like the cinematography and thought the pacing was much better than the previous season. Also, I know some people have worried that Roose hasn't been creepy/memorable enough to catch viewers' eyes yet, but my father pegged Roose as "not to be trusted" immediately after the Harrenhal scene.

Yeah, the camera focused on Roose for like an entire minute and later he gave Robb the "evil eye" after leaving the scene. Classic :P

All my non-book reader friends loved it. And all my book reader friends loved it. Perhaps you just have terrible friends.

3on5c8.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist it ^^

Because season one was actually, you know, good. And stayed fairly close to the original text. (not close enough, but close enough giving ten hours and the limited budget + limited cast)

Please say that again, but leave the stayed fairly close to the original text out, it's getting anoyed that people only complain because of the books, yes they are better and amazing. But the show is the show. If you dislike the show, dislike it because you dislike the show not because they didn't copy paste the books.

I watched the show with my father (non-reader) and he enjoyed the episode. He seemed to like the cinematography and thought the pacing was much better than the previous season. Also, I know some people have worried that Roose hasn't been creepy/memorable enough to catch viewers' eyes yet, but my father pegged Roose as "not to be trusted" immediately after the Harrenhal scene.

True, the pacing was great and the cinematography. And great that he saw that with Roose. I think that everyone that pays attention sees that Roose dislikes Robb very much.

My friend who didn't read the books too carefully (first 2) seems to be confused as to why Davos was arrested - and the entire role of Red Woman. Somehow he also got impression that Stannis wanted to kill her in previous season for killing Renly...

Can happen, not everybody watches the episodes before the next season airs, and there's so much going on in GoT that you can easily forget things from last season or interpreted things differently. I think he forget the last shot with Stannis watching the flames.

One of my friends actually put a stopwatch on and then complained that it took 15 minutes to see boobs. I looked at him like he was crazy and he actually told me that HBO was screwing up the show by not showing more sex and violence. I would have understood his perspective if I were a 12 year old boy, but as adults, I found his comments ridiculous.

He will not be coming back over for episode 2. The rest of the full house that I had on Sunday night enjoyed the show immensely.

What's wrong with your friends? Have they started to watch the show in the third season without having watched the first two? Because the show has always been like this. This is not Spartacus.

I guess they just suck. They all loved season 2 for the most part, but in general everyone I talked to was so disappointed with this premiere...even some non-friends that I talked to...I can't find anyone that REALLY liked it...except me...the one common complaint was the opening. maybe it just turned a lot of people off from the rest of the episode.

Here are some thoughts that I got from people I know:

- ending season 2 with the Others coming and start season 3 with the battle on a blank screen was a big let down

- many like the giant scene in Mance's camp, but why Tormund so serious?

- two people talking in a scene is getting tedious, but Tywin/Tyrion scene is good

- why Robb treated his mother that way when he himself did something wrong (marrying Talisa they meant)?

- Astapor scene is good - the dragons and the Unsullied were awesome; some joked Ser Barry looked like a Jedi knight and that thing he killed looked liked a scorpion droid

- good start for the season, though some missed Arya, Bran, the Hound, Jaime, etc...

Everyone I know who watched it liked it.

Same.

Yeah, the camera focused on Roose for like an entire minute and later he gave Robb the "evil eye" after leaving the scene. Classic :P

Yiss. Roose camera lock was epic. Fuck yeah, Roose. Its about TIME!!!

My mum went off about how shes really interested in what Jon is gonna end up doing. She really liked the dialogue between him and Mance. (i did too, to be honest.) Shes wondering if he actually really did turn instead of just faking it. Of course shes predicted that Jon and Ygritte get it on.

Anyone with eyes can see that Marg makes Cersei squirm, so some "oh shes gonna get right under the queen's skin..." was said. I think my mum thinks that Marg could turn Joff away from his mother.

Everyone else i know was all "Omfg dragons." and pretty "whoa" with the Unsullied. Lots of hope for Dany's arc by non-readers.

The Robb/Cat scene confused some peeps. Hell, it confused me at first until i realized what was going on here. But i think my mum and dad both forgot about Roose. (even after i pointed him out during the catch up marathons they were doing.)

Qyburn....

(i had to point him out to my mum. "Not a good guy....")

Overall, peeps were happy with it. Some of my friends were like "wheres Arya and Jaime?" and im like "next week. gawd." and lots of "What happened to Theon?" was being asked.

lol...Theon....they'll find out...

Another friend once told me that he predicted that not only would Sam become a total badass, but the Hound would join the NW and be one of the top dogs there. :lol:

that's made me laugh out loud...but it's a thoughtful prediction...

Forced Robb scenes so more people give a hoot about the RW. Two non readers I know couldn't care less about Robb since he doesn't do anything impactful in the tv series. Cant blame them really.

My girlfriend said she was worried that Shae is going to end up being killed in front of Tyrion and it is going to be horrible to watch.

And you know... she's sort of correct in that guess :P

LOL! Too bad that scene won't be this season. Just imagine the sweet surprise awaiting her.

my friends still get confused with all the characters and names of places they do complain alot that almost every battle isnt shown they understand one or two battles wont be shown but blackwater was the only one

they shouldbve atleast shown one battle with robb stark where hes actually fighting, all we see is him returning with the kingslayer and another where his wolf attacks a lannister last season

I watched with my brother and a couple of my friends. All non book readers and they all loved it more than me lol. If only they knew the what the real Battle of the Fist of the First Men was like.

It helped a lot that the Walking Dead Finale was kinda meh and Game of Thrones really out shined it.

my friends still get confused with all the characters and names of places they do complain alot that almost every battle isnt shown they understand one or two battles wont be shown but blackwater was the only one

wow....you are right o.O

My non-readers - everyone in my circle is a nonreader - thought it was OK. They liked it, but didn't love it. They were excited for the season because they felt the premier episode was setting up for something big,

Some questions posed about the ep:

Why was Sam alive?

Why were the NW brothers alive? How did they escape the Zombi army? Where is the Zombi army now? (I asked them to think of it a s a cliffhanger reset, and let it go)

Where's Robb? That doesn't look like Winterfell. Why is he at Harrenhal? Where did the Northmen come from? (that confused me as well, tbh)

Who's the little girl trying to Kill Dany? How did she get to Slaver's bay? How did she know where Dany was going? (That was easy to explain)

Where did Dany get the money to buy an army? (I told them to wait and see)

There was some confusion about the amount of time passed since last season, which I explained by saying that it looked like a different amount of time had passed for each arc, and not to dwell on it too long.

We were a group of very different ages, friends and family, who had met for the event with beer and not mulled wine. All had tremendously enjoyed the first two seasons but most weren't book readers, making me the missionary. After watching the new episode all of those so far unconvinced wanted to start with the books.

The non readers don't have any problems with Shae and Ros, actually many like those two characters. Since we all are immoral Europeans :D no one has problems with "sexposition", on the contrary, the secret behind that piece of cloth was a source for vivid debate, for m and f.

And the Tyrion/Tywin scene came over just as epic and hateful as it was in the books when I first read it, supported by that incredible Dutch Masters' or even Caravaggio light management.

Talisa and Robb is dismissed as the conventional romantic love story that has to be in everywhere. And female watchers get angry because (after we told them that it is a bit different in the books) the script writers seem to believe that "the girls" only are interested if they get their share of romance.

All of us are highly drawn to the politics and intrigue aspect, being interested in politics (they are my friends) in RL as well., they expect more to come and miss Varys dearly.

We really enjoy the actors' achievements for their own sake and Peter Dinklage and his character have become one in the mind of all non reading show fans around me. In general I think that the character Tyrion is perceived differently in Europe than he is in these forums, by readers as by non readers, he is, even in the books, far more accepted in his twisted greyness and loved for his complexity, maybe a bit of transatlantic cultural clash (or being not so young anymore makes more forgiving :) ). Charles Dance is breathtaking, as are Lena Headey and Michelle Fairley. And Emilia Clarke has a special place in the heart of both my male and female friends. The "lost in translation" scene was big fun for readers as much as non readers. But no non reader understands why the HBO Jon gets so much attention: that boy is just dumb and boring: wait what will become of him? Haha, Ygritte's bedwarmer as long as he keeps his mouth shut which he does anyways. My friends love Sam as character in the North.

Overall no one complained about the episode being too slow, people valued the details, the light and everyone wants to have his or her own little dragon by now, at least all BBQ fans.

My friends thought it was alright, nothing special. They were confused with the opening scene, most of them thought the nights watch won the battle. Most couldn't give a crap about Robb, they REALLY screwed up his character :/

Those that haven't read the books, or don't remember much, loved it. One friend who's read the books thinks the TV series has been rushing through the story too fast right from S1E1. And he's right. Most of us would prefer 12 Episode seasons, including GRRM.

Archived