[BOOK SPOILERS] What did your friends/family think of the premiere and their predictions?

teemo

- Astapor scene is good - the dragons and the Unsullied were awesome; some joked Ser Barry looked like a Jedi knight and that thing he killed looked liked a scorpion droid

true that the first clear shot of Barrstan (him pulling back his hood) looked a lot like the first clear shot of Obi-Wan Kenobi in New Hope :)

My non-book-reading friends are kinda meh about it, and they have been since season 1. But there are many nuances from the book that are either omitted or impossible to televise that I couldn't possibly explain to them in their entirety so they don't get my obsession with ASOIAF.

My mom loved it, but I had to explain a lot of things to her especially Harrenhal and Dragonstone.

I actually liked the S3 premiere, although I had gripes with the characterizations (some were really off) and some deviations. I like the added Margaery scenes and hope that the non-canon Theon scenes will also be awesome.

CGI - very good for a TV production.

Cinematography - also good.

I think I need a rewatch of past seasons which are all a blur now.

This is our review

ou have to understand that changes are needed. Like the Barristan Selmy reveal can't work on TV.

I've read all the books and it hasn't spoilt it for me. The only thing I wish is that I could be purged of my knowledge whilst watching it. So everything is new and surprising.

Some of the changes are great. Like Tywin and Arya. You get to see a side of Tywin not in the books.

What do you think ?

I can't help feeling that anyone who feels that ANY episode is "too talky" is maybe watching the wrong show. Am I being too harsh? In my opinion, dialogue was one of the best things about Martin's books, and talented actors like Bean, Dinklage, Dance and Clarke have brought those moments to life. Take this episodes Tyrion/Tywin scene for example. The confrontation between Cersei and Ned in Seaon 1. Tyrion reeling in his fellow councillors to route out his enemies, or Catlyn's confrontation with Jamie, in season 2.

And then there are the moments that weren't even in the books, but have been conjured up by the TV show with just as much gravity and depth as if they'd come from Martin himself. Robert's half drunk first kill rant with Barristan and Jamie springs to mind, or the unexpected moment of clarity between him and Cersei. Arya's banter with Tywin in season 2. Yes there's a little bit of waffle in between, you can't have incredibly powerful emotions and dialogue in every scene, and its the same in Martin's books. This story is about characters, and the interplay between them. How can that be expressed if not through dialoge?

Game of Thrones is not for everyone, but I can't help feeling that criticising an episode for being "too talky" is asking to much of this, and indeed almost any TV show.

Everyone I know enjoyed the episode, some loved it and felt it was a return to form. I think people are being far too negative on here to be honest. From the reviews I have heard from people like Elio and others, the first episode isn't particularly special compared to the other three. Just have some patience.

Yeah, the camera focused on Roose for like an entire minute and later he gave Robb the "evil eye" after leaving the scene. Classic :P

Har! That is true, despite his limited screen time, Michael McElhatton has proved to be a master of staring disapprovingly at his young and politically inept king. He certainly has the right eyes to be playing Roose.

Another thing I've noticed since speaking with friends of mine who only watch the show is that many of them seem confused about the assassin in Astapor. They apparently didn't realize that there were more warlocks than Pyat Pree (which seems understandable to me since, in season 2, there weren't), so they didn't get who was trying to kill Dany now that he has been bbqed.

I haven't had anyone complain to me about excessive talking, yet.

My family, all non-readers, enjoyed the episode.

Main talking points of the episode in my house:

1. They were a little confused as to what happened on the Fist, my Mum and brother thought the Nights Watch won the battle, my dad was "waiting for the big army of wights from the end of season 2 to attack them". I explained that it happened and that was what the noise at the start with the black screen and then said "oh the Nights watch won then"!??
  2. My mum and brother both think Marg is a lovely girl and is really nice for looking after the orphans. To quote my mum "So what if she playing the Game well as long she is nice to the children".
  3. Tywin is horrible and "Aww poor Tyrion" but incredible scene!
  4. Where is Brienne and Jamie and Arya????? Will they be in it next week?
  5. Loved Dany and the dragons
  6. They weren't sure why Robb was so angry with his mum either.

All looking forward to episode 2!

Really don't know what people mean when they say "too talky"

is it just that people are used to generic hollywood films where there's all action and no substance?

I'll take a slow build-up and dialogue-heavy material over that any day.

I think it's weird that I have friends calling it "too talky" but loved almost all of season 1 and 2 and even bought and re-watched them...it's like, what were you watching?

Seriously, how can book reader like this episode?

It was disappointing on so many ends i don't even know where to begin, but lets give it a try.

Is this how you pictured Mance Raider? He was just standing there, like Stannis... Most disappointing part of the episode

Battle at the FOTM :( just sad

Neither Val, Dalla or the Magnar... When, how or are they even gonna be introduced?!

Jon and Ghost parting, did Ghost at some point take his NW vows and i didn't notice it? Oo

No Strong Belwas... I guess they are just gonna let Daario do some of his stuff :/

Sansa&LF scene... Why did they even introduce Ser Dontos in season2, what was the point of that?

Ros being LF's 'Hand of the Pimp', i mean... just how?

Just to name the most disappointing parts of this episode, as a reader.

*edit: forgot one

Seriously, how can book reader like this episode?

It was disappointing on so many ends i don't even know where to begin, but lets give it a try.

Is this how you pictured Mance Raider? He was just standing there, like Stannis... Most disappointing part of the episode

Battle at the FOTM :( just sad

Neither Val, Dalla or the Magnar... When, how or are they even gonna be introduced?!

Jon and Ghost parting, did Ghost at some point take his NW vows and i didn't notice it? Oo

No Strong Belwas... I guess they are just gonna let Daario do some of his stuff :/

Sansa&LF scene... Why did they even introduce Ser Dontos in season2, what was the point of that?

Ros being LF's 'Hand of the Pimp', i mean... just how?

Just to name the most disappointing parts of this episode, as a reader.

*edit: forgot one

Maybe some book readers are not purists. Maybe some don't want the show to be a carbon copy of the book. Maybe some actually understand what an adaptation is. And maybe some just don't care about changes if they are well done.

I might adopt this for my signature!

Ha! I always think what I said is pure shit after I post it, but then sometimes someone thinks it's golden. Mayhaps I shit gold then :P

I should add;

Poor Robb's been shafted by the show. No one in my circle gives a toss about him. They're all already assuming that he's lost the war and is totally screwed.

I should add;

Poor Robb's been shafted by the show. No one in my circle gives a toss about him. They're all already assuming that he's lost the war and is totally screwed.

The only non-readers I've seen thinking that were the Unsullied at TWOP. Most non-readers I've seen on the internet are rooting for the Starks, Robb especially. He's still got a lot of fans. I think he's in the top 5 of the non-readers, right after Dany, Tyrion and Jon, who are definately the top 3.

Archived