[BOOK SPOILERS] What did your friends/family think of the premiere and their predictions?

teemo

My non-reading friend thinks that once things start getting really awkward between Jorah and Dany, Jorah is going to leave and join the Night's Watch in an attempt to rekindle his relationship with his father.

My non-reading friend thinks that once things start getting really awkward between Jorah and Dany, Jorah is going to leave and join the Night's Watch in an attempt to rekindle his relationship with his father.

lol jorah in the nights watchh i find that funny for some reason

Thank you, I don't know why people are rushing to defend this crappy scene... :dunno:

Probably due to that people that criticize don't manage to analyze the scenes very well in many cases, almost looking like they try to create errors rather than finding the best explanations. Why would there have to be any magical ravens for Sam to send? He's out with Grenn and Edd and, judging from the scene in this episode, they got back to the other watchmen. Sam, on the other hand, wasn't capable of getting back before the wights came. If he had been like the other two he might have made it back and sent the ravens. There was, after all, a horn signal to give him time. He screwed up, so Mormont had a reason to be upset. It also doesn't make Mormont look incompetent for not knowing/accepting that Sam got lost instead of doing what he should. I don't see any logic in that comment you made.

From the wiki:

When the Others attack the Watch camp at the Fist of the First Men, Sam manages to send word of the attack to Castle Black and is able to escape with a group of about fifty survivors led by Jeor Mormont.

I think you are confusing this with another Sam/raven incident. He gets off two ravens with messages before all hell breaks loose at the fist. IIRC his POV after begins w/ him thinking, "at least I got the ravens off" (sry don't have my ASoS here for confirmation.

Yes, Sam does send two ravens. It's with messages he had already written so they only say that there's an attack on the Fist, it says nothing about what is attacking them so it is of somewhat limited use.

Well, since I evolve in a very cinema-influenced context (being a cinema student and stuff), people did really love the "slow and efficient" build-up, finding it very interesting, to really lay the ground of the things to come !

Probably due to that people that criticize don't manage to analyze the scenes very well in many cases, almost looking like they try to create errors rather than finding the best explanations. Why would there have to be any magical ravens for Sam to send? He's out with Grenn and Edd and, judging from the scene in this episode, they got back to the other watchmen. Sam, on the other hand, wasn't capable of getting back before the wights came. If he had been like the other two he might have made it back and sent the ravens. There was, after all, a horn signal to give him time. He screwed up, so Mormont had a reason to be upset. It also doesn't make Mormont look incompetent for not knowing/accepting that Sam got lost instead of doing what he should. I don't see any logic in that comment you made.

There is no logical way to explain how Sam circumvented an army, only to run into one wight, and the remaining NW who is not on horseback... There is no way to fill in the gap there that makes any sense, try.

There is no logical way to explain how Sam circumvented an army, only to run into one wight, and the remaining NW who is not on horseback... There is no way to fill in the gap there that makes any sense, try.

That's not even the part I was referring to. You responded to someone saying that there was no way Sam could have sent any ravens and I showed how obviously that was wrong.

As for him evading the army, the simple explanation is that they just left him be, just like they did with Will in the prologue to the series. I don't know where he meets the others as there's a snow storm going on.

That's not even the part I was referring to. You responded to someone saying that there was no way Sam could have sent any ravens and I showed how obviously that was wrong.

As for him evading the army, the simple explanation is that they just left him be, just like they did with Will in the prologue to the series. I don't know where he meets the others as there's a snow storm going on.

If they just "let him be" then it would be impossible for him to reach the NW, unless he deserted, and just ran for his life after the WW's let him be, then the rest of the NW formed a wedge w/ horses to escape the fist and get ahead of Sam, but then abandoned their horses to walk back and find him... The only other explanation is that the NW decimated the WW's force and there was only one left when sam finally made it back to the main group, but they are not on the fist (no tents, siege lines etc). :dunno: Neither puts Sam in any position to send ravens, if it was such an important job, Mormont should not have sent him to gather shit w/ Grenn and Edd. He is the LC's steward (according to the show) while Jon is away so why is he on shit duty anyway?!

If they just "let him be" then it would be impossible for him to reach the NW, unless he deserted, and just ran for his life after the WW's let him be, then the rest of the NW formed a wedge w/ horses to escape the fist and get ahead of Sam, but then abandoned their horses to walk back and find him... The only other explanation is that the NW decimated the WW's force and there was only one left when sam finally made it back to the main group, but they are not on the fist (no tents, siege lines etc). :dunno: Neither puts Sam in any position to send ravens, if it was such an important job, Mormont should not have sent him to gather shit w/ Grenn and Edd. He is the LC's steward (according to the show) while Jon is away so why is he on shit duty anyway?!

You have a very weird way of thinking about things. Why would using horses be the only way some people from the NW could get away? You don't even know how the wights were formed when they attacked the NW in the show. That's the kind of arguments you hear from someone that wants to find errors, not solutions. You can fight yourself through another force on foot, but it will be harder and slower. Since there's so very few left that could have happened. And they obviously don't meet on the Fist since quite a bit of time passes. It's not hard to get as we hear battle sounds and people dying, then it stops and after that we see a sunrise. Obviously the battle took place at night (and night hadn't yet fallen when the Others were first seen) and Sam ran away. He runs into them at some later stage, at some other place.

And again, Sam could have gotten back with Grenn and Edd, but he didn't. There's no base for saying that he couldn't have sent any ravens other than again arguing with the hope of finding errors, not solutions.

I only have one male friend that has read the books (up to the end of ASOS), and he says reading the books has totally ruined the show for him (he caught up right before the season started in the books) and that it's driving him crazy. He despises pretty much all of the changes. I think he's more angry at the show than I've ever been. He also said it was "boring with too much useless talking." He didn't see the point of the Cersei/Tyrion scene at all and really hated Jon Snow's story to Mance.

I just want to say that the second season for me was mediocre because I too had just finished the books just before it started. I had to come to an understanding that changes are ok (and I've really had to justify some of them to myself) in order to appreciate the show. Enjoying one medium shouldn't stop people from enjoying another as well. Enjoy the books for what they offer and don't look for/by bothered by changes when watching the show.

I watched s2 again just before s3 started, and enjoyed it much more this time around after having some distance from the books. I just try not to nitpick at every little thing and tell myself that any annoying changes are done with something in mind.

Also,

My friends, book readers and nonbook readers all (for the most part) really enjoyed the premier of s3, myself included.

I was surprised by my non-readers friends reactions. This first episode had no action and too many characters appeared at once so I tought they wouldn't like or understand it but I was wrong. Ironically, it were my friends who read the books the ones that disliked the premiere the most.

They have the opinion that the highest point of this premiere was Maergary scenes. (That says a lot to me since they don't even like her). They also enjoyed the whole thing in Astapor and the Tyrion/Tywin conversation. But only that.

Both groups had common complaints, though.

- People agreed the supposed "battle" of the Fist of the First Men was a huge dissapointment: "Where are all that zombies?" and "How did Sam survived?" were the most asked questions.

- The Sworn Brothers appearing out of nowhere to Sam was... Well, that was horrible... :dunno:

- People didn't understand much about Harenhal. Oh, and tv!Robb is being hated: my friend said he was a douchebag by the way he was treating his mom. Another even said Catelyn was the wrong one by not scolding her son: "She should wash his mouth with soup" :laugh: and etc... Despite it, he's still a non-readers favorite.

- People swore at Stannis for arresting Davos. Well, so did I.

- People (specially the reader friends) disliked Mance as they tought "the actor doesn't have charisma enough" or he "has less salt than Jon" (?? lol).

Personally, I didn't loved the premiere but I didn't hated either. idk, it was good... not awesome.

Snip...

And again, Sam could have gotten back with Grenn and Edd, but he didn't. There's no base for saying that he couldn't have sent any ravens other than again arguing with the hope of finding errors, not solutions.

Well I did make some solutions to the gap in my imagination, but they were all far from plausible...

In any case perhaps its OT in this thread. I actually did enjoy the episode, but got into a discussion on here after mentioning that I hate changes that undermine existing characters as in the "It was your ONLY job" moment to Sam.

As Kasrith just said, there was many times last season where I justified the changes (to myself) and I am trying to here, but you have to admit that opening was laughable (as every reviewer seems to agree)...

It reminds me of my brother's biggest complaint about GI Joe when we were kids. He says that they would show something, like a car going over a cliff w/ Joes in it before the commercial break, but when they returned (from the break) the car stops just short of the cliff. Which renders the moment they were airborne an alternate reality/outcome. TBF I don't really remember the cartoons from when we were kids so IDK if that's totally accurate, but that's how i felt here. It was as if they asked us to take a huge leap from where we left off, to the current events.

In any case let me get back on Topic:

My bro's predictions for the future: I laughed when Catelyn pulled the sword in the episode for last season (a man without honor IIRC). My bro was like "what's she gonna do, cut his hand off?"

and during the S3 premiere. "I wish someone would just kill Rob and Cat at the same time, I hate them soooo much!"

I can't wait to see his reactions throughout this season.

Well I did make some solutions to the gap in my imagination, but they were all far from plausible...

In any case perhaps its OT in this thread.

The only thing I can see that doesn't make my explanation plausible to happen is that Sam is Sam. He could have done what he should but since he's not very good at handling scary stuff he failed. That's part of why I like him. As for your comparison I don't think that's even remotely close to the same thing.

But you are right in that it's OT so we'll just agree to disagree

The only thing I can see that doesn't make my explanation plausible to happen is that Sam is Sam. He could have done what he should but since he's not very good at handling scary stuff he failed. That's part of why I like him. As for your comparison I don't think that's even remotely close to the same thing.

But you are right in that it's OT so we'll just agree to disagree

:cheers:

My husband, who is not a book reader, finally got around to watching the episode last night. Here are some of his impressions:

• He liked the pacing, and the fact that so much happened in the episode; when the end credits came up he was kind of surprised that the hour had gone by so quickly.
  • His favorite scene was Jon joining up with Mance and company. He thinks that this plot is interesting because it is so unlike the rest of the locations in its setting and politics (or lack there of).
  • He also liked the Bronn scenes (thank God that guy is in the show, sometimes it definitely needs lightening up...).
  • His least favorite scene was the Tywin/Tyrion scene, because he felt bad for Tyrion (Charles Dance may be a great actor, but last season made me forget how much of a dick Tywin is.)

Some interesting off-cuff-statements he made:

• The Nightswatch is evil; the Lord Commander didn't do anything to stop baby sacrifice, so it's better that Jon is with the wildings (I tried to explain that they (NW) really weren't evil, but I don't think that I convinced him -- I wonder what he's going to think of the Mel/Stannis sacrifices)
  • He predicts that Cersei is going to try to have Bronn killed (okay, now that one just blew my mind, since I didn't even see that coming in the books until after Bronn named a certain bastard Tyrion)

Archived