Ghost/Jon parted ways

Mulled Wino

Your post sparked an idea. Even if Ghost doesn't return to Jon (although him showing up close to the camp and have Jon bring him in would look pretty good - but not as good as originally walking in or even having him rip Halfhand's throat out), he could take Jon's place in a way with the NW. I doubt they would give us any sequence like that of Bran looking through Summer's eyes, which would be absurd even if they did, but he could dream or smth to keep tabs on the Watch. Perhaps even use Ghost to warn Castle Black of the attack once both Ghost and Jon are back on the other side of the wall...

The other thing about Mormont's speech is that "Everyone you've ever known will be dead!" was a bit over-the-top cheesy and over-dramatic. Cosmo knew it, too - he couldn't even deliver the line earnestly.

The other thing about Mormont's speech is that "Everyone you've ever known will be dead!" was a bit over-the-top cheesy and over-dramatic. Cosmo knew it, too - he couldn't even deliver the line earnestly.

:agree: Totally not his cup of tea.

Yeah, you figure the fact that they will be dead if they do not make it back to the Wall would be motivation enough.

But to say he was not needed to save Sam is equating the show with the books which is wrong.

Its not. Saying ghost was not needed to save Sam is acknowledging the fact that Mormont and the rest of the entire group of the Fist survivors were standing 10 feet away and set the Wight alight in half a second anyway.

The idea of Ghosts presence with the watch being symbolic is interesting though. Lets see if they follow through on that in a meaningful way. Because if they just end up having Ghost find Jon again no probs and then trying to sell a scene with Jon being worried about leaving Ghost behind when he climbs the wall, its going to feel stupid.

Its not. Saying ghost was not needed to save Sam is acknowledging the fact that Mormont and the rest of the entire group of the Fist survivors were standing 10 feet away and set the Wight alight in half a second anyway.

The idea of Ghosts presence with the watch being symbolic is interesting though. Lets see if they follow through on that in a meaningful way. Because if they just end up having Ghost find Jon again no probs and then trying to sell a scene with Jon being worried about leaving Ghost behind when he climbs the wall, its going to feel stupid.

He would've been long dead had Ghost not stalled enough for Mormont to burn him. What you think Mormont just stood there for 10 seconds watching while the wight almost killed him?

My biggest problem with this, as others have said, is that Ghost is integral to the the wildlings accepting Jon. ?

Really? That's funny, because to be honest I didn't even remember this, and I read all the books twice. I vaguely remember the story of Jon at the feast now that everyone has talked about it. I guess I'm not a "true" fan then, huh?

What I DO remember, and what is most important, is that Mance Rayder felt an affinity for Jon because he too was a member of the night's watch who defected, and he was respected for having been able to kill the Halfhand - which the wildings (other than Mance), with their black and white view of the "crows" would never believe a loyal member of the night's watch would do.

And gosh, that's pretty much what happened on the show, with the addition of Jon's "I want to fight for the side that fights for the living" story, which I personally found very stirring and the most memorable line from the episode.

So if him being a warg who was followed around with a direwolf was INTEGRAL (which means so important that without it nothing else works), then I think I would remember it, and the scene would have rang false to me, which it didn't.

I'm sure there is a reason the producers chose to have Ghost stay with the night's watch, and I suspect that it will involve Jon's warging abilities. Also as was mentioned before, it is symbolic that Jon remains with them, even though he is not there.

I have no problem listening to reasonable critique. Yours is just not reasonable. The legitimacy of the story has not been affected by the lack of ghost. He doesn't need to be a known warg to be accepted by wildlings (he's not even accepted by many even in the novels).

Ok. There seems to be quite a few people that agree with me. I guess we're all unreasonable.

Im not buying it. To all the wildlings he's just another crow that they would just kill. You believe whatever they tell you, fine by me.

In addition tp the credibilty of the story sufferring, the reinforcement of the Starks and their relationship with their direwolves is sufferring.

Ok. There seems to be quite a few people that agree with me. I guess we're all unreasonable.

Im not buying it. To all the wildlings he's just another crow that they would just kill. You believe whatever they tell you, fine by me.

In addition tp the credibilty of the story sufferring, the reinforcement of the Starks and their relationship with their direwolves is sufferring.

Am rereading Jon's ASOS chapters becaue I wanted to confirm how much Ghost played a part in Jon's acceptance. The widlings make mention of Jon's warg abilities more than once during the journey to Mance's death and in ACOK Ygritte specifically mentioned that they (wildings) do not fear wargs in clear comparison with Southron views when they were deciding whether to kill Jon.

When they met the weeper (and we all now he's not exactly the most charming of wildings) Longspear tells him that Jon and Ghost killed that Halfhand and Ragwyle also contributes by telling him that "the lad's a warg or close enough...his wolf took a piece of the halfhands leg". After this exchange the weeper allows them through.

Upon arriving at Mance's tent Tormund specifically tells Jon: I happen to be fond of wargs as it happens, though not of Starks.

So is clear that they took notice of Jon's warging abilities and that they played a part in his acceptance.

I think our questions about this will be answered (I'll be really pissed if we get no explanation) and I also think it has the possibility of leading to something really cool. The fact that they show Orell warging the eagle very prominently in the trailors makes me think that warging abilities will certainly be discussed amongst Jon and the wildlings and could lead to Jon reaching out to Ghost. Who knows but I'm not going to gripe until they have a chance to take it in whichever direction it is heading.

He killed Qhorin Halfhand in front of a bunch of wildlings (without the help of his wolf to lend credence to the fact that perhaps he didn't truly want to kill him). If you recall several times in the books, the not-so-fond-of-Snow wildlings deny or downplay Jon killing Qhorin because he needed the help of his wolf to do it.

How was Mance not just a crow when he first deserted? He knows Jon will be incredibly useful to him, so why kill someone who may actually offer their useful allegiance without at least testing them first.

And by the way "Lots of people agree with me" is not a very good argument. Lots of people are hardheaded book purists who will attempt to detract from any changes to the novels for the sake of complaining about the lack of fidelity to the source material.

I don't even get it why would be showing a direwolf so expensive? In an interview D&D said that the wolves are not totally computer rendered, they are real wolves (or dogs) scaled up, so I think Ghost walking alongside Jon wouldn't be nearly as expensive as showing the dragons.

I don't even get it why would be showing a direwolf so expensive? In an interview D&D said that the wolves are not totally computer rendered, they are real wolves (or dogs) scaled up, so I think Ghost walking alongside Jon wouldn't be nearly as expensive as showing the dragons.

It's entirely CGI at this point, I believe. I heard Kit saying they used giant fake wolves to give the actors something to interact with after S1.

It's entirely CGI at this point, I believe. I heard Kit saying they used giant fake wolves to give the actors something to interact with after S1.

At the emmy pannel D&D said that they filmed real wolves and then enhanced them. So the amount of CGI that goes into the wolves is not the same as in the dragons, for example

At the emmy pannel D&D said that they filmed real wolves and then enhanced them. So the amount of CGI that goes into the wolves is not the same as in the dragons, for example

Fair enough, I just listened to the panel. There's no CG in the wolves, just visual effects from scaled up wolves as you said. I'm sure they have a visual effects budget and the dragons eat most of it up.

• 1 year later...

I have been complaining about no Ghost since season 2.Correct me if I'm wrong, Ghost defines who Jon is more than anything else.Hopefully now they will actually make my favorite character, be my fave character. They have written very poorly and there was no reason too. I better see Ghost pull Locke's throat out, because he would as he would know the danger

Archived